Chemistry issues on teams...questions | The Boneyard

Chemistry issues on teams...questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
By all accounts from comments by Geno and everyone else, the team should have amazing chemistry next year. Geno has said the kids coming in are humble and eager to work hard (not to mention phenomenally talented), something freshmen need to do in order to fit in and carve out their niche.

I was wondering what, if any, teams in the past had chemistry issues that plagued the team. sometimes it's an individual distraction (Samarie when she was deciding to transfer, Kiah until Chris Dailey talked to her about how the team felt about playing with her). other times it's the team in general (WNBA class - Geno often said he could never figure out which buttons to push with them and that they were all too nice).

i was wondering going back if there were any other chemistry issues anyone can remember on past teams. i'm not trying to call out individual players (altho i do recall Kristen Phillips' presence on the team caused some issues before she transferred, and i think i recall something about Amy Duran being frustrated that she lost PT to Shea and Sveta).

but people often talk about chemistry as a two fold thing - how well the teammates get along, and how well they play together as a whole - maximizing their strengths and minimizing their weaknesses. Most of the teams we've had have shown amazing chemistry. what about teams that weren't so "together"?

Reaction Score
I was wondering what, if any, teams in the past had chemistry issues that plagued the team.

The 1998-99 team without a doubt.

The TASSK frosh were heralded as saviors, which didn't sit too well with the upperclassmen, particularly Shea.
The seniors, Amy Duran & Courtney Gaine, were not leader-types.

A mess all the way around.

Probably the 05 or 06 teams.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
There were some issues on that 2000-01 team. Was it Shea's/Svet's team or the TASS Force's? What was D's role? What about Schuie's? Between the injuries, the three separate waves of players (Shea/Svet, TASS, D), and there being almost too much talent when the team was at full strength, they never quite gelled.

Reaction Score
I believe I recall hearing there were some chemistry issues 1997 - 1999. Marci Glenney left under some less than happy circumstances, though I never knew if the issues behind her unhappiness stemmed from Geno only or included chemistry issues with players.

Reaction Score
I believe I recall hearing there were some chemistry issues 1997 - 1999. Marci Glenney left under some less than happy circumstances, though I never knew if the issues behind her unhappiness stemmed from Geno only or included chemistry issues with players.

It was with Geno.

Yes, part of the 98-99 debacle.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
It was with Geno.

Yes, part of the 98-99 debacle.

Some background:

Marci Glenney:
"It's very hard to play for [Auriemma] when he's in one zone and it's amazing and easy to play for him when he is in another," said Glenney, who transfered to Clemson following her sophomore season in 1999. "The pressure is intense, but expected if you want to play at that level.
"I heard he has calmed down some in the past few years. I'm not even sure if my experience is even relevant anymore. If Samarie Walker's gut told her to do something different [leave], that doesn't necessarily mean she wasn't good enough to play, a problem for the team or had the lack the intensity or understanding to play there, which has been said about her since she left.
"There are several levels a player can evaluate themselves on in college basketball. Geno is not the only level is what I'm saying.
"After all, relationships don't always last do they? I'd say that's pretty normal in life."

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
to be fair Alex, i'm not sue what people Marci was referring to. most fans on here knew that Samarie was dealing with some intense personal issues which is mostly why she left.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I saw quite a few comments here last season that Baylor's chemistry was not very good. Chemistry can be an inexact science, I guess.

Reaction Score
I saw Marci play last in Cincinnati in the NCAA quarter finals. As a whole , the team had key injuries & terrible offense play. After the game, Geno remarked he had no point guard. Soon after Marci transferred out. I recall their were issues that exited between Geno & Marci's father. It was best that she moved on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom