Checking in on former UConn players/commits | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Checking in on former UConn players/commits

Reaction Score
Akinjo and Durham can play and would both be assets on this team. Everyone else? ?
Akinjo maybe with PG struggles early, but seems that Cole had found his stride. But with our front court Durham doesn’t see much court behind, Whaley, Carlton, and Sanogo

Reaction Score
I don't really follow off season stuff. I certainly don't follow former players off season movements. So I was surprised to see Vance Jackson transferred again. My interest was peaked. So I researched Vance a bit. In my 5 minutes of research on Vance I found that he's working on a Masters in Adult and Lifelong Learning. What could this program possibly be about. Is this just the new name for General Studies?

Reaction Score
I don't really follow off season stuff. I certainly don't follow former players off season movements. So I was surprised to see Vance Jackson transferred again. My interest was peaked. So I researched Vance a bit. In my 5 minutes of research on Vance I found that he's working on a Masters in Adult and Lifelong Learning. What could this program possibly be about. Is this just the new name for General Studies?
Rather than teaching kids, college or graduate school, the program's focus is on educational opportunities for adults: that could be adult literacy, senior citizen classes, really anything that involves anything where adults learn. Could be a great opportunity to provide help for people who missed out on educational opportunities in their teens and 20s, like helping adults earn GEDs or skills that will help them earn jobs, etc. Not a high paying gig, but very fulfilling.

If that's his post-basketball calling, seems like a pretty cool and honorable professional field.

Reaction Score
I have no idea what the hell you watched the last couple years you would want Gilbert. Kid can’t shoot or distribute. Team got better when he went to bench is as big an indictment on him as a player one should ever need. Pass whatever the hell you have been smoking.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I have no idea what the hell you watched the last couple years you would want Gilbert. Kid can’t shoot or distribute. Team got better when he went to bench is as big an indictment on him as a player one should ever need. Pass whatever the hell you have been smoking.
You basically just described what I’ve seen from Cole.

Reaction Score
Lmao at you. As if what we have is vastly superior to either of them. Good thing you’re not a scout.
One can possibly argue Akinjo, but neither him nor Alterique providing the shooting that would provide a clear upgrade over Cole/Gaffney.

I'm much happier with the duo we have, plus both players can play both guard spots...can't say the same about Akinjo/Alterique. Plus, despite Cole's shooting woes, he was a more efficient shooter at Howard. Even through Cole's cold start, both Akinjo and Alterique still aren't shooting at better clips than Cole currently is.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
rj cole - 44% eFg and 3.8:2.2 assist-to-turnover

alterique gilbert - 43% eFg and 3.3:1.9 assist-to-turnover

cole has been better already this season (albeit marginally) and lots of people on this board (and, i imagine, on the uconn coaching staff) are expecting his numbers to improve. we already know who alterique is at this level.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
rj cole - 44% eFg and 3.8:2.2 assist-to-turnover

alterique gilbert - 43% eFg and 3.3:1.9 assist-to-turnover

cole has been better already this season (albeit marginally) and lots of people on this board (and, i imagine, on the uconn coaching staff) are expecting his numbers to improve. we already know who alterique is at this level.
The difference between those numbers you listed are basically negligible. And I take a more holistic and statistically well-rounded approach to comparing players. Any other stats you want to bring up?

Reaction Score
The difference between those numbers you listed are basically negligible. And I take a more holistic and statistically well-rounded approach to comparing players. Any other stats you want to bring up?
i'm only talking about shooting and distributing because that is what you brought up.

we'll see how this argument looks in a couple of months...

Reaction Score
Gilbert's shooting percentages this season are very similar to last year:
This season
FT 70.3
FG 37.2
3 PT. 29.0
Last Season
FT 67.1
FG 34.0
3PT 31.8

None of which is particularly good. It's best for both Alterique and the UConn program that he transferred. He's gotten to play 8 games so far, versus only 5 for UConn. Happy that he is playing and doing ok, but I don't think he would be the answer at PG.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
eFG%
Akinjo - 44%
Gilbert - 43%
Vance - 45%
Durham - 49%
MAL - 43%
Matthews - 44%
And Kisunas has taken 3 shots total all season.

D1 average is like 49.5%. High major average is above 50. These guys are bad.
Yea, they’re simply not good. They’ve had years of opportunity. It was a scouting issue. Now take a look at the guys Hurley and co. targeted heavily but missed on: Kofi, Bones Hyland, Rocket Watts, Cam Thomas. These are some of the better players in cbb. Big upgrade in scouting. Shout out to Tripp.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
After Justin Smith’s injury (out 3-6 weeks for Arkansas), I’d expect Vance Jackson’s minutes to increase...however they’ve been decreasing.

Rough start for him at Arkansas and I don’t see him playing much at all.
Long connection w/ Mizzou, still follow them so watched the Mizzou-Arkansas game yesterday. Vance got no run which was weird b/c as @Hey Adrien! said Smith is out. Besides the 7'0 195 lb kid, they had no size and they were in foul trouble. There was no report of an injury and the lid was on the rim for the Razorbacks. You would have thought, if there were a scenario ripe for run this would have been it. I know it's not Vance's forte but at those averages he has to pick up his rebounding a bit I suspect to gain Musselman's attention.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Yea, they’re simply not good. They’ve had years of opportunity. It was a scouting issue. Now take a look at the guys Hurley and co. targeted heavily but missed on: Kofi, Bones Hyland, Rocket Watts, Cam Thomas. These are some of the better players in cbb. Big upgrade in scouting. Shout out to Tripp.
Yeah I’ve been thinking the same thing. I’m too lazy to compile the recruits and stats but it definitely seems like this staff is at like over 80% for recuiting targets outplaying their rankings and being some of the best players in college ball.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Yeah I’ve been thinking the same thing. I’m too lazy to compile the recruits and stats but it definitely seems like this staff is at like over 80% for recuiting targets outplaying their rankings and being some of the best players in college ball.
Yep. Even some of the targets who haven’t turned out to be super stars have shown promise or filled a role. Mulcahy, Wahab, etc.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The Stevie Wonder school of scouting would be proud
1609729031210.png

Another day, another recruiting trip.

Reaction Score
We HAD Alterique for multiple seasons. We know what he was. And that wasn’t good. Plain and simple. Who cares what he’s doing for Wich St. we know what he did for UConn.

next

Reaction Score
I think Durham is a big miss. I think he (at this point in his development) would be a better option than Josh + Adama. I always thought that his skillset was fantastic and just needed polish, court time, and maturity. He has gotten that for ND and would be really useful for us right now.

As far as the other guys, agreed, no thanks.

Reaction Score
I remember this board losing it when some of those folks chose to play elsewhere. Not a guy on that list who I would want over present company.
Yeah mixed tapes are sports version of fake news.

Here we have Exhibit A:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom