Check out what I found | The Boneyard

Check out what I found

Reaction Score
In a tiny convenience store in Yangon, Myanmar.

orca-image-1507284163317.jpg_1507284164222.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wow, Myanmar. I almost ended up there before some complications with my wives visa occured and now we are in Guatemala. How is Myanmar?

Reaction Score
I was here for pleasure in 2013 - on that trip I went to see Bagan and Mandalay too. This time is for work so I'll spend the whole 10 days in Yangon. It's pretty messy and dirty here - closer to India and Bangladesh than Thailand and Cambodia.

When I was here in 2013 I found that the people are incredibly nice - just over the top friendly. Even compared to Thai people - which is saying something. I told people to go visit before it opened up and the people start getting jaded. I think that may have happened already here in Yangon but I'm sure it's still relatively pure in the north.

Reaction Score
Wow, Myanmar. I almost ended up there before some complications with my wives visa occured and now we are in Guatemala. How is Myanmar?

When I was here the first time there were no ATMs - no way to get more cash - so you had to bring all the cash you would need. To complicate it further they would not accept old or imperfect bills. I'm talking ANY imperfection - even a fold. I had one $100 bill I couldn't get rid of because the ink was slightly smeared from the printing process. It was always a game of hiding the bad bills under perfect bills. And everything was in US dollars - except smaller change amounts. When other travelers would mention their departure date the first thought was - Can you trade me some.of your good bills?

Also good internet was rare - I found only place at a cafe next to my hotel which was a $10 voucher i bought, with my passport on record, to access an hour of internet at that cafe. Now there are ATMs everywhere and you can get a sim card including 5gb of data for $8.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
So the thing I get confused about, is if you are a spy does it make sense to tell people that you are?
Oh, no - it's quite restful. It's almost peaceful. No need to believe in either side, or any side. There is no cause. There's only yourself. The belief is in your own precision.

Reaction Score
You got a like for the Three Days of the Condor quote. It's a very underappreciated movie.

I seriously must've seen that movie 30 times. It was one of about 25 movies on vhs that my uncle gave my family when he visited us in italy. I was 13 and those tapes were pretty much the only English language entertainment we had for the 3 years we were there.

Reaction Score
When I was here in 2013 I found that the people are incredibly nice - just over the top friendly. Even compared to Thai people - which is saying something. I told people to go visit before it opened up and the people start getting jaded. I think that may have happened already here in Yangon but I'm sure it's still relatively pure in the north.
Sadly, 3-4 years ago was the time to visit Yangon and some areas in the north. It sure didn't take Yangon too long to go from friendly and relatively poor innocence to being a destination for too many not too frequent showering backpacking slugs. You know the types, those who find Cambodia, Vietnam, and especially Thailand too expensive, do their best Sandusky-ing, and generally contribute to increasingly diminished local innocence.

"... relatively pure in the north ..."? Depends on where you go, but clearly no pun intended say the majority of innocent Rohingyas. Unfortunately, a bad combination of a few too many troublesome arrivals from neighboring countries in the north and Myanmar's over-the-top military response to their influences hasn't been so great for too many good Rohingyas.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom