Check out what I found | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Check out what I found

Reaction Score
You almost can, just not in any places you'd actually want to live in Europe.
Well I did it in Lisbon for 5 years - US salary plus all living expenses paid in one of the cheapest places in western Europe. I had a great standard of living there.

On the other hand, I was in Paris with the same deal and still spent more than my salary! A little bit more expensive to live well there...

Reaction Score
Sadly, 3-4 years ago was the time to visit Yangon and some areas in the north. It sure didn't take Yangon too long to go from friendly and relatively poor innocence to being a destination for too many not too frequent showering backpacking slugs. You know the types, those who find Cambodia, Vietnam, and especially Thailand too expensive, do their best Sandusky-ing, and generally contribute to increasingly diminished local innocence.

"... relatively pure in the north ..."? Depends on where you go, but clearly no pun intended say the majority of innocent Rohingyas. Unfortunately, a bad combination of a few too many troublesome arrivals from neighboring countries in the north and Myanmar's over-the-top military response to their influences hasn't been so great for too many good Rohingyas.
I was bicycling outside Mandalay. By the end of the day my arms were more.tired than my my legs - from all the waving back to locals yelling "hello!"

It's a shame that has to go away once the white people arrive...been happening for centuries! Progress?

Reaction Score
I seriously must've seen that movie 30 times. It was one of about 25 movies on vhs that my uncle gave my family when he visited us in italy. I was 13 and those tapes were pretty much the only English language entertainment we had for the 3 years we were there.
Funny story - another one of the movies was Sophie's Choice. At the time my uncle was working at a video production shop in Tehran. He made the copies by just putting the source and blank in the machine and pushing a button - then when it was done coming back and doing the same again. In the case of Sophie's Choice the blank tape wasn't long enough and the ending was cut off.

So when I watched Sophie's Choice I thought I was watching almost the whole movie except a last small bit after it cut off - which was when Stingo asks Sophie to go stay with him on his farm and have babies with him and she hesitates. Of course I didn't want to ask anyone how it ends - I didn't want to spoil it.

So for years I thought Sophie's Choice was between Nathan and Stingo.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well I did it in Lisbon for 5 years - US salary plus all living expenses paid in one of the cheapest places in western Europe. I had a great standard of living there.
Lisbon: wouldn't know first hand, but I strongly suspect it's much nicer than some extremely low-cost European locations most U.S. Americans would not find too appealing. And, even for those of us who are far more adaptable than average or when saving most of a US salary + all living expenses. Paris: financial vacuum to live a good lifestyle!

Reaction Score
Lisbon: wouldn't know first hand, but I strongly suspect it's much nicer than some extremely low-cost European locations most U.S. Americans would not find too appealing. And, even for those of us who are far more adaptable than average or when saving most of a US salary + all living expenses. Paris: financial vacuum to live a good lifestyle!
Lisbon is really a beautiful city - very quaint with old world charm, lots of interesting unique culture with their Fado and melancholy, cultural influences from Brazil, Angola and Mocambique, accents leftover from the centuries of Moors occupation with small winding streets on the two city hills, close to the ocean, great cheap seafood, food in general is very wholesome and tasty, fun futbol culture, great cheap wine, and on and on...and Porto is arguably even more interesting and scenic.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Your OP: I almost ended up there before some complications with my wives visa occured and now we are in Guatemala

Nomar: astutely suggests getting each of those wives of yours separate visas rather than grouping them as a package deal. More red tape, but better success rate. Pro tip right there.

Reaction Score
Your OP: I almost ended up there before some complications with my wives visa occured and now we are in Guatemala

Nomar: astutely suggests getting each of those wives of yours separate visas rather than grouping them as a package deal. More red tape, but better success rate. Pro tip right there.
Clearly I have one wife, regardless of the mistake.

Reaction Score
j-peterman-the-chicken-roaster-seinfeld.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom