Chattanooga Game Notes | The Boneyard

Chattanooga Game Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
"Ran into a screen" was reported by a Boneyarder at the open practice.

I'm assuming during a practice she ran into a screen. Speculation of course.

Get better Crystal!

Reaction Score

I'm assuming during a practice she ran into a screen. Speculation of course.

Get better Crystal!
In Dayton game

Reaction Score
Weird. Like this?
203118607x.jpeg

Reaction Score
Who puts a screen door in the middle of a basketball court? They need to fix that Champions Center or rename it the concussion rehab and research center.

Reaction Score
Did Crystal leave the game after the screen? Did she get medical attention immediately? I don't recall any mention of it during the game. Did anyone else notice it?

And a full week of concussion symptoms is very serious. Has she had a concussion before?

Really, REALLY, hope this is a one-off and that she gets over the symptoms very fast. We have all read about head injuries, particularly for young people, and how they affect them later in life. In my town, the youth football league has seen a 15% reduction in the number of players, as parents keep their kids out of the sport. Don't hear much about this in basketball.

Just hope she's going to be OK soon.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Did Crystal leave the game after the screen? Did she get medical attention immediately? I don't recall any mention of it during the game. Did anyone else notice it?

And a full week of concussion symptoms is very serious. Has she had a concussion before?

Really, REALLY, hope this is a one-off and that she gets over the symptoms very fast. We have all read about head injuries, particularly for young people, and how they affect them later in life. In my town, the youth football league has seen a 15% reduction in the number of players, as parents keep their kids out of the sport. Don't hear much about this in basketball.

Just hope she's going to be OK soon.
Don't think anyone noticed anything in game, and I am not positive it was in the game and not in a later practice - does anyone have a specific quote re it being in the game? j66kicker?

The concussion protocol is based on baseline testing they implemented at Uconn a couple of years ago which means that 'symptoms' aren't necessarily anything that the player is aware of like dizziness or headaches, but electrical readouts from ongoing tests.

Reaction Score
Agree with UcMiami. If you read Geno's remarks carefully, you'll note that he was just saying that because of Thanksgiving holiday, they couldn't start the protocol until Saturday (presumably when Crystal returned). The protocol has time requirements (which Rocky above wonders about), which likely knocks her out of the game tonight, but in no way suggests the degree of severity, or even that she has actually a concussion.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Don't think anyone noticed anything in game, and I am not positive it was in the game and not in a later practice - does anyone have a specific quote re it being in the game? j66kicker?
IIRC, it was later in the game. Crystal Dangerfield was guarding the ball being brought up the court. Dayton set a high screen, about 5 feet inside the front court, that nobody seemed to call out. Crystal Dangerfield ran right into it. I remember saying to the TV, ""hey somebody's gotta call that out". It actually happened again a couple plays later, same exact thing.

But no, she didn't come off after it.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I wonder what the protocol is? How many days must the athlete be symptom free?
Well when they no longer have symptoms, they usually start with like jogging or riding the bike, if still no symptoms, they can move on to limited practice, then full practice, then game. Usually like a day or 2 for each step, depending on if they see any symptoms. Anyway that's pretty much how they do it for our kids (High School). So probably something similar.

Reaction Score
Concussion Management and Diagnosis Best Practices
This is the general NCAA protocol, but it looks more canted toward contact sports (although one could well argue that basketball is that as well)
  1. Light aerobic exercise such as walking, swimming or riding a stationary bike. No resistance training. If asymptomatic with light aerobic exercise, then;
  2. Mode, duration and intensity-dependent exercise based upon sport. If asymptomatic with such exertion, then;
  3. Sport-specific activity with no head impact. If asymptomatic with sport-specific activity, then;
  4. Non-contact sport drills and resumption of progressive resistance training. If asymptomatic with non-contact drills and resistance training, then;
  5. Full-contact practice. If asymptomatic with full-contact practice, then;
  6. Return-to-play. Medical clearance will be determined by the team physician/physician designee, or athletic trainer in consultation with a team physician.

Reaction Score
From today Courant:

"But it didn't take long before freshman guard Crystal Dangerfield felt the aftereffects from being bumped last week against Dayton. Dangerfield, who is emerging as a core player for UConn, left practice early Saturday before missing practice Sunday and Monday"

CD did not feel right after the game, nothing to do with practice.

Dangerfield Could Miss Chattanooga Game; Bent Ready To Step Up

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Well when they no longer have symptoms, they usually start with like jogging or riding the bike, if still no symptoms, they can move on to limited practice, then full practice, then game. Usually like a day or 2 for each step, depending on if they see any symptoms. Anyway that's pretty much how they do it for our kids (High School). So probably something similar.
Difference being that very few HS teams have EEG type baselines taken for all their players - at Uconn they are doing those, so they can do more than 'ask the questions' of their players.

Reaction Score
Son played two years of HS football before he realized 6' and 135 pounds was not conducive to a life as a high school football player. They had baseline EEGs done as incoming freshman. He suffered a concussion at the end of the JV homecoming game as a sophomore when the defensive line of the opposing team had a team meeting at the quarterback. He missed two weeks of school (headaches and sensitivity to light and noise) and the rest of his football season as a result. He still gets headaches from time to time. Needless to say, his mom and I were not too upset when he decided not to play football and work on baseball instead for his junior and senior year. He is actually quite a talented outfielder with speed and a good arm, but he is not much of a hitter so no college playing prospects for him. He will be making his way through life with his brain, not his athletic ability. So, in a long winded and wandering way I am saying concussions are nothing to blow off. I am sure they will be careful with Crystal and not rush her back until she has cleared the concussion protocol and is cleared by a neurologist as well.

Reaction Score
Crystal looks good here, just popped up today, but not sure exactly when this pic was taken. Anybody have info on that?

upload_2016-11-29_10-41-24.png

Reaction Score
Crystal Dangerfield's parents were at the Dayton game, so I would assume that Crystal Dangerfield spent the Thanksgiving holiday with her parents. Only when practice resumed did the coaching staff learned of the concussion like symptoms. The Courant reported that Crystal Dangerfield felt the aftereffects from being bumped in the Dayton game in the link above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom