Chattanooga Game Notes | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chattanooga Game Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Don't think anyone noticed anything in game, and I am not positive it was in the game and not in a later practice - does anyone have a specific quote re it being in the game? j66kicker?

The concussion protocol is based on baseline testing they implemented at Uconn a couple of years ago which means that 'symptoms' aren't necessarily anything that the player is aware of like dizziness or headaches, but electrical readouts from ongoing tests.
Courant 11/28: "After three days away from the gymnasium, the UConn Huskies returned to practice Saturday. But it didn't take long before freshman guard Crystal Dangerfield felt the aftereffects from being bumped last week against Dayton."
Dangerfield Could Miss Chattanooga Game; Bent Ready To Step Up

SNY 11/28: "Saturday was our first day back from break and she's not ready yet."
Bent could see extended minutes as Dangerfield deals with concussion

Reaction Score
Courant 11/28: "After three days away from the gymnasium, the UConn Huskies returned to practice Saturday. But it didn't take long before freshman guard Crystal Dangerfield felt the aftereffects from being bumped last week against Dayton."
Dangerfield Could Miss Chattanooga Game; Bent Ready To Step Up

SNY 11/28: "Saturday was our first day back from break and she's not ready yet."
Bent could see extended minutes as Dangerfield deals with concussion

Talk about SMART young women--Crystal had to report not feeling well--rather than trying to tough it through--she may have had short term benefits--like playing--but life long problems. Don't ignore concussions!!

Reaction Score
Son played two years of HS football before he realized 6' and 135 pounds was not conducive to a life as a high school football player. They had baseline EEGs done as incoming freshman. He suffered a concussion at the end of the JV homecoming game as a sophomore when the defensive line of the opposing team had a team meeting at the quarterback. He missed two weeks of school (headaches and sensitivity to light and noise) and the rest of his football season as a result. He still gets headaches from time to time. Needless to say, his mom and I were not too upset when he decided not to play football and work on baseball instead for his junior and senior year. He is actually quite a talented outfielder with speed and a good arm, but he is not much of a hitter so no college playing prospects for him. He will be making his way through life with his brain, not his athletic ability. So, in a long winded and wandering way I am saying concussions are nothing to blow off. I am sure they will be careful with Crystal and not rush her back until she has cleared the concussion protocol and is cleared by a neurologist as well.

Thank you for this posting---some think there head '''bumps'''' are not serious---maybe some are not--only time will tell. The brain has a cushion --it will only withstand Some Bumps---. This is a very important posting---Thank you.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Difference being that very few HS teams have EEG type baselines taken for all their players - at Uconn they are doing those, so they can do more than 'ask the questions' of their players.
We actually do base line testing of our players, but it's not EEG. They have a bunch of questions, mental skills I think that they are given (a test). If they have evidence of a concussion, they are given the test again and the results are compared against the baseline.

I told them all to do poorly on the baseline test so they would be able to get back to playing again faster. :cool::D:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Agree with UcMiami. If you read Geno's remarks carefully, you'll note that he was just saying that because of Thanksgiving holiday, they couldn't start the protocol until Saturday (presumably when Crystal returned). The protocol has time requirements (which Rocky above wonders about), which likely knocks her out of the game tonight, but in no way suggests the degree of severity, or even that she has actually a concussion.

Because all humans are not built the same--and Crystal is on the tiny size--the severity (long term) is cannot be diagnosed with any level of accuracy--acknowledging that this is serious, by Crystal and the Team Staff is an important step. Thanks of A-symptomatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom