ChatGPT Analyzes Dan Hurley’s Defense… | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ChatGPT Analyzes Dan Hurley’s Defense…

Reaction Score
Every tech company in the world is already building AI into its applications. They are all better off building AI into their existing applications rather than using a one-size-fits-all chatbot like ChatGPT appears to be. Chatbots are customer service, so no company is going to pay up for a slightly better version of whatever ChatBot they have now.

Building a company to sell it is generally a pretty good strategy in tech, except you don't want to get into a sector where there are too many sellers, because that drives everyone's price down. How many AI companies are Google, Amazon and Microsoft going to buy, and at what price? Given the huge number of generic AI companies being funded, you might be able to buy one for the price of a modest beach house in 5 years. Many of them are going to go bust, so those will be even cheaper.

"First mover advantage" is mostly a relic of an era where there were high capital costs and network externalities, and even then it didn't work that well. Google was probably not even one of the first 10 search engines. Microsoft was not first for word processing or spreadsheet applications. Apple did get to the PC market early, then failed spectacularly, and then found a second life (rare for a tech company) as a consumer devices company. IBM had a first mover advantage, and now it is mostly a professional services company. Amazon didn't really break out in retail until recently, and is still losing money on just about everything it sells. Technology is an industry of creative destruction, and there is always someone coming up behind the new new thing to displace it.

You do see more first mover advantage in smaller markets that do not attract that much capital, because getting critical mass is easier and it is not worth it for followers to spend the time and money to catch up. Even then, in an area where venture capital is plentiful, even those markets get competitive pretty quickly.

ChatGPT is trying to take over the world in a market that has already attracted billions in capital. Good luck with that.
I think "customer service" is wildly underrepresenting the potential applications here and may be why you're so far off from the market's view of these technologies. I don't think anyone is buying ChatGPT to bolt on to their applications. Big tech companies are interested in the underlying tech and the workforce.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think "customer service" is wildly underrepresenting the potential applications here and may be why you're so far off from the market's view of these technologies. I don't think anyone is buying ChatGPT to bolt on to their applications. Big tech companies are interested in the underlying tech and the workforce.

Everyone is already doing it. There are thousands of companies working on AI applications for specific business problems, and these companies have installed bases of customers that they can use to teach machines.

Or someone can buy ChatGPT. Actually, if ChatGPT was smart, they would raise a boatload of money at an inflated valuation, then go out and buy technology companies to implement ChatGPT into actual business applications. This is basically what Amazon did.

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
I asked ChatGPT what the biggest number is. ChatGPT spun and spun and errored out. Maybe next time.

Reaction Score

"This is for customer service" is so blind to the actual stakes here that its actually sort of amazing. I get not understanding this stuff its wild next frontier world-changing stuff. But at least he can have the humility to not make himself look like a jackass.

The equivalent here is someone in like 1994 being like - "Internet website shopping? I don't get it - I can just go to Caldor or JC Penney and get whatever I need. And why would I pay for shipping? And can't every company just build their own website? What's the difference? I just don't see it."

Microsoft isn't interested in ChatGPT because its going to like automate customer service for Office 360. They are interested in tuning it to take down Google's search dominance. So, that single application of this technology is "POSSIBLY DETHRONING THE CORE PRODUCT FOR THE 4th biggest company by market cap in the entire world."

Now @nelsonmuntz you might say - Microsoft is crazy!! Surely google, who has a wee bit of AI expertise themselves, agrees with Nelson that this is all commodotized $29.99 chatbots, right?

They are shzztting bricks and reorganizing their entire AI/Product organization to counter this threat mid year -

A New Chat Bot Is a ‘Code Red’ for Google’s Search Business

Screen Shot 2023-01-13 at 11.26.01 PM.png

The actual stakes here are are "owning every piece of written or spoken language interaction that you have in your entire life" - across all your commerce and services, your learning and information needs, your personal life and daily schedule, etc. Every piece of technology you use, every product or device that you have need to interact with. Oh, and the moment you deploy it, it takes its billions of interactions of datasets, and now starts creating a highly optimized version of that model and learning you specifically and how you personally talk, the inflections and vocabulary you use, etc etc.

People gravitate toward the best UX for whatever they are looking to do. Its why Apps murdered mobile browsing, and why Google is now modern day all encompassing information center.

The companies that adopt and deploy this technology - which is for 99% of all businesses wayyyyyy outside the scope of their resources to hire teams to build and integrate this stuff, so they need to tap partners/startups/businesses that specialize in it to do it for them - get shockingly good ROI compared to almost any other intervention, and also get their teams experience in conceptually understanding AI/ML at a basic level.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I feel like DH is trying to make Adama more appealing to scouts by showcasing hium as a 4 who can bang but also step out... Clearly this showcasing comes at the expense of our team D, as Adama isn't ready to guard on the perimeter & we are not fast enough in rotations with them on the floor together. Doesn't mean it can't happen eventually (see Grant Williams) but i'm hoping it doesn't become a constant with this team. On a seperate note, we are paying the price for not having a floor general.
Adama has played 11 minutes in 18 games at the 4 position, if that was Hurley's plan he's failing

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
"This is for customer service" is so blind to the actual stakes here that its actually sort of amazing. I get not understanding this stuff its wild next frontier world-changing stuff. But at least he can have the humility to not make himself look like a jackass.

The equivalent here is someone in like 1994 being like - "Internet website shopping? I don't get it - I can just go to Caldor or JC Penney and get whatever I need. And why would I pay for shipping? And can't every company just build their own website? What's the difference? I just don't see it."

Microsoft isn't interested in ChatGPT because its going to like automate customer service for Office 360. They are interested in tuning it to take down Google's search dominance. So, that single application of this technology is "POSSIBLY DETHRONING THE CORE PRODUCT FOR THE 4th biggest company by market cap in the entire world."

Now @nelsonmuntz you might say - Microsoft is crazy!! Surely google, who has a wee bit of AI expertise themselves, agrees with Nelson that this is all commodotized $29.99 chatbots, right?

They are shzztting bricks and reorganizing their entire AI/Product organization to counter this threat mid year -

View attachment 83014

The actual stakes here are are "owning every piece of written or spoken language interaction that you have in your entire life" - across all your commerce and services, your learning and information needs, your personal life and daily schedule, etc. Every piece of technology you use, every product or device that you have need to interact with. Oh, and the moment you deploy it, it takes its billions of interactions of datasets, and now starts creating a highly optimized version of that model and learning you specifically and how you personally talk, the inflections and vocabulary you use, etc etc.

People gravitate toward the best UX for whatever they are looking to do. Its why Apps murdered mobile browsing, and why Google is now modern day all encompassing information center.

The companies that adopt and deploy this technology - which is for 99% of all businesses wayyyyyy outside the scope of their resources to hire teams to build and integrate this stuff, so they need to tap partners/startups/businesses that specialize in it to do it for them - get shockingly good ROI compared to almost any other intervention, and also get their teams experience in conceptually understanding AI/ML at a basic level.

You seem to doubling down on the belief that this is the only AI company in the world. Just about every tech company in the world has an AI strategy. Many of them already have applications in the market that have an ROI. As someone with a bit of experience with past tech "revolutions", the likely outcome is that there will be hundreds of competitors that will all have good technology, and the winners will be the first (or second or third) to specific markets with targeted business applications. The tech generalists companies typically lose.

And as a reminder, Google was like the 7th or 10th search engine in the market. The AI market has a long way to go before we can declare a winner. And if you are right, and there is only one winner, then billions of dollars of investment capital is going to be flushed on all the losers, of which ChatGPT is likely to be one of them.

Apps didn't murder mobile browsing. Many B2B software solutions use web browsers because apps are often just functionally limited versions of the underlying software that also is effectively a separate code base that needs to be supported. Many B2C companies don't care about putting crappy, space-hogging, glitchy software on people's phones, but I wouldn't say that is indicative of apps murdering browser solutions.

Finally, the fundamental weakness with most B2C software technology, which you think is ChatGPT's ultimate destination, is that they are all advertiser based. Google has made some money selling software through devices and subscriptions, but it is still over 50% ad-based revenue. Almost all of Facebook's revenue is add based. That is something of a zero sum market. Maybe ChatGPT becomes the dominant ad destination in the future, although I have a hard time understanding how that even works with a language based AI solution.

In your final paragraph you seem to argue that every tech company will buy ChatGPT's solution and imbed it. First of all, a generalist AI solution will probably not have a great ROI in B2B applications. Second, you would have to believe that no tech CEO has ever heard of how that worked for Yahoo with Google to think that tech companies would integrate a future competitor into their own technology. Not a rhetorical question, but how stupid do you think Tech companies are?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Hell, if we're talking any kind of philosophy, whether ethical or hoops-related, might as well ask one of the greatest philosophers in history.

1673702621070.png

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

View attachment 83014

Yes. We’re integrating AI and investing in it. But we’d be one of the businesses helping others understand what it might do for them. Practical applications.

This is big now, but I‘m not sure people get the speed at which it’s improving, learning. Will probably match the entirety of human progress from caveman to now, in a decade. Then it will be limited mostly by how fast we can give it data.

Reaction Score
AI.. In some shape or form.. Has been around for 20+ years.. Alexa and Siri are AI driven..

Reaction Score
Can't play defense like vs MU WITH NO INTENSITY.
Hawkins play defense like the elite defensive player that you are.
Don't bring your offense to the defensive end.

Reaction Score
The AI was quite prophetic in the "emphasizes team defense over individual defense". Apparently to the detriment of a single player capable of playing good individual defense. If the SJU layup line was any indication, anyhow

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom