Chat Room vs Game Thread: A Compromise? | The Boneyard

Chat Room vs Game Thread: A Compromise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't know why there is now a chat room discussion rather than a game thread, but I assume it's because the mods have concerns that, in the heat of the moment, some unfortunate things have been written that became part of the public record--both about players and about fellow BYers. But the best thing about the game thread was that it did capture BYers' reactions to the game. Clearly, many folks who didn't watch/listen to the game in real time went back over the game thread later to get some of the color of it.

Here's a possible compromise that encourages more careful discussion.

How about "end of first quarter", "half time", and "end of third quarter" game threads? These are separate threads that get opened at the appropriate time and get locked as soon as the game begins again. (Or one thread that gets locked during play and unlocked during these three breaks and then after the game as well?) During these longs breaks from the action, participants can more leisurely comment on the game with more reflection and can discuss more interactively rather than in the telegraphic style of the chat room. And there will then be a record for others to read afterwards.

Speaking personally, I don't use the chat room, but I'm glad for it. I find that without the temptation to type while I'm watching that I watch better. But it would be great when play is halted to share feelings with friends. I could join the chat room then, of course, but it's really not much of a discussion. Just my opinion, of course.

Reaction Score
As I said in another thread, I am grateful that the game thread has been moved to the chat room. Housing it there allows for "contact anxiety" to be compartmentalized, and results in more thoughtful discussion on the rest of The Boneyard.

Reaction Score
No chance of experimenting with a hybrid, huh? Not very UConn-like. :)

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
No chance of experimenting with a hybrid, huh? Not very UConn-like. :)
There's the post game thread. I guess that could be considered a hybrid.

Reaction Score
Regardless of reason, and I know what it is, a bad decision, IMHO.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Regardless of reason, and I know what it is, a bad decision, IMHO.
If I had to guess, I would say that the chat doesn't provide a permanent record of some fans' posts when they are anxious, which means it's a lot less work for the moderators and a lot less anxiety for them as well. The game threads tend to be very long, and the content requires very active moderator input.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
If I had to guess, I would say that the chat doesn't provide a permanent record of some fans' posts when they are anxious, which means it's a lot less work for the moderators and a lot less anxiety for them as well. The game threads tend to be very long, and the content requires very active moderator input.
And it seems to be a method to ignore/bypass BY rules. Not sure if I like that or not...

Reaction Score
I'll just watch the game then and skip the discussion. I went to the chat room once and that was enough for me. It's unfortunate that the game thread is gone because of the actions of a few; whoever they are..

Reaction Score
Two comments. 1. Who’s Tom? 2. I too don’t use the chat room, used to regularly read the thread...and am sorry to see it gone. But as I said before (sorry, 3 comments), if it created too much anxiety for the mods, I understand.

Reaction Score
That's exactly the point I was making. I don;'t like to comment online or chat while the game is going on. The most I will do, if I am well and truly exercised, is go online at half time and say an thing or two. Mostly I go in after the game, skim the post on the game thread and react to what happened during the game. Can still react after the game, but I am not likely to go into the chat room and try to connect with what was said there. The loss is that I and others like me, are reacting without the cobtext of comments from other BYers. Just one little thing that lessens the experience here.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Two comments. 1. Who’s Tom? 2. I too don’t use the chat room, used to regularly read the thread...and am sorry to see it gone. But as I said before (sorry, 3 comments), if it created too much anxiety for the mods, I understand.
Tom, whose handle is temery, is the site Publisher/Owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom