Charlie Villanueva Recruiting | The Boneyard

Charlie Villanueva Recruiting

Reaction Score
Interesting video about how he ended up at UConn.

This excerpt of a longer interview.

He mentioned that the pulled a scholly from someone in order to get him here.

Does anyone remember who that might have been?

Great find & watch- love it! 4 Big Men on that 2004 roster who became first round picks & three who were lottery picks- truly historic!

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
He's making it sound like the staff had no involvement. I find that a little hard to believe. It's not like he visited secretly; his unofficial visit was announced in advance.

But he really did fall in our laps when Self left Illinois for KU.

Reaction Score

Chad Wise left the program around same time he committed, Marcus White didn't leave til after fall semester.

Reaction Score
I still remember when he verballed. It was a Sunday in June. I was at my parents' place with my young girls and jumped on my dad's PC to check my emails and clicked on the BY and there was the news. From outta nowhere.

Reaction Score
Dumb question, but was it legal for Bill Self to have CV picked up in a private jet? I'm guessing not.
Im assuming it was legal. Probably part of the "official visit" allowances.

If we do the same, where does the plane land? Im sure some place closer than Bradley. Maybe East Hartford?

In both Champaign Il and Lawrence KS they likely land in town.. minutes from campus. Lots of flat land in the midwest for airports.

Reaction Score

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
He's making it sound like the staff had no involvement. I find that a little hard to believe. It's not like he visited secretly; his unofficial visit was announced in advance.

But he really did fall in our laps when Self left Illinois for KU.

The memories start to get a lil foggy, I think. We started recruiting him in April, he visited in May and committed in June.

It’s not true. Chad Wise, (rest in peace), had decided to transfer at the end of April, but we already had two other open scholarships at that point. (Hazelton left mid year.)

The recruiting class was Charlie, Josh, Marcus Williams and Ryan Thompson.

We actually took one open scholarship into the next season.

Reaction Score
I still remember when he verballed. It was a Sunday in June. I was at my parents' place with my young girls and jumped on my dad's PC to check my emails and clicked on the BY and there was the news. From outta nowhere.
I'm pretty sure I actually broke that news on the Yard. This was before there was Twitter, Instagram and all that social media stuff. I was getting ready to go out and figured I'd check some of the recruiting sites before I left. Mike Sullivan of Rivals had the news first and there was a Rivals article on Villanueva's commitment that had just been posted minutes before. I put it up on the Yard and left to go out and came home later that day to pages of reactions. Today this would never happen since a commitment that big would be all over the place within seconds.

Reaction Score
gives you a good idea how self does things at KU

Reaction Score
Charlie is another great ambassador. His instagram is full of UConn love.
Anyone else see him speaking highly of Andrew Tate recently? Every once in a while Charlie V has a take that makes me ashamed of his UConn pride, such a shame

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure I actually broke that news on the Yard. This was before there was Twitter, Instagram and all that social media stuff. I was getting ready to go out and figured I'd check some of the recruiting sites before I left. Mike Sullivan of Rivals had the news first and there was a Rivals article on Villanueva's commitment that had just been posted minutes before. I put it up on the Yard and left to go out and came home later that day to pages of reactions. Today this would never happen since a commitment that big would be all over the place within seconds.
Post/Handle

Reaction Score
I think i remember we went into that season not using the last scholly. So im not sure he's remembering that right.
But either way, CV is great.

Reaction Score
Anyone else see him speaking highly of Andrew Tate recently? Every once in a while Charlie V has a take that makes me ashamed of his UConn pride, such a shame
Do we not like Andrew Tate here?

Reaction Score
CV was on my flight out of Tucson to Dallas the morning after #6. He was living the highlife in first class. I was in 33E. Gave him a nod when I walked past.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom