Charlie Crème Tweet - no credit for UConn defense | The Boneyard

Charlie Crème Tweet - no credit for UConn defense

Reaction Score
1676780256737.png

Reaction Score
LOL. Let's see, he was skeptical of the committee, because the basketball savant he thinks he is, does not realize the committee decides on Villanova's whole body of work. Basically his tweet showcases two cases of bad analysis. Tweet away.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Pros miss plenty of wide open shots. Idiotic take. So next game the same team hits 65% of open shots and they are, what, suddenly FF locks? Reaching general conclusions off one game is what chat board posters do, not so-called experts.

Reaction Score
Not a good look for an “expert” to admit he changed his mind three times on one game, one of which was apparently simply following the crowd. Probably should buy himself a wind vane!
It’s hard to believe he wrote that without one either mentioning the “vague” possibility that UConn’s defense could have been a contributing factor. Lockup defense can affect the opponent’s open shots as well. Surely he knows that?

Reaction Score
What a ridiculous comment he makes. There are quite a few clueless National commentators. Charlie is one of them. Last year recall how he jumped a team or two ahead of what the committee might think—while at the same time I recall how he was so clueless how well UCONN was playing that he remained oblivious to UCONN that was showing to have been a top tier 2 seed.

What he doesn’t understand in this game is that UCONN jumped ahead - a team like Nova who depends on outside shooting in probably their biggest game of the season to win a Big East Title, he seems to think that it should have been ho-hum-easy for Nova? HAs he ever played a competitive game in his life? Three point shooting is tough and as pressure mounts . . .

Anyhow just take a step back and read what he is saying. He expected Nova would win today which possible but to actually "expect it" when UCONN picked up a terrific 6th player (Ducharme)? He didn't have Nova in the top 16 then he changed his mind for not only top 16 but “expect to BEAT” UCONN even after being so reluctant? Then after one game in which he thought the underdog would win, he then again changes his mind back to his past point and then he seems to brag about how he has been so clueless to then pat himself on the back? Unreal.

Last year UCONN beats Stanford and I believe a National Writer tweets that Stanford played “their worst game of the season” (nothing about UCONN’s Defense). This year UCONN beats Tennessee and another National Writer tweets that Tennessee “allowed” UCONN to shoot well (nothing about UCONN and historically overall how their Offense tends to execute well often.). And now this from Charlie after his crazy commentary leading to last year’s seeding when it was obvious UCONN was on a roll.

Reaction Score
He's right. There was no particular defense on the shots he is talking about, i.e. "open " shots. However, the overall effort needed to to duke it out with Uconn, may have been a factor
Also, people tend to rush open shots when they think those shots won't be open very long. Not saying that explains all the misses, but it may have been a factor in some.

Reaction Score
Shooting a basketball rises and falls with a players confidence level; good defense tends to reduce that level. Quantifying that is obviously impossible but your point is a very good one and obviously was a factor.
Also, people tend to rush open shots when they think those shots won't be open very long. Not saying that explains all the misses, but it may have been a factor in some.

Reaction Score
When I saw Creme's tweet, I had several immediate thoughts:
-Is this a joke?
-Did someone hack his Instagram? Seemed like a comment a junior blogger would make.
-Did he even watch the game? Villanova played one of the top teams in the nation even for most of the game. Why focus so negatively on a few open shots (and with the tight defense UConn played, there were a FEW open jumpers)?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Nova is a team that runs their 5-out motion offense exceptionally well. They can get hot and give a lot of teams trouble in the Big Dance. At the same time, Nova can be dominated in the lane by teams with size, as they were yesterday when UConn had a +22 rebounding edge.

There’s not a team in WBB that doesn’t have both strengths and weaknesses. Even SC, whose size and “phone booth” offense wears opponents down, is not particularly strong at the guard spots, which is one reason why we all felt that a healthy UConn was capable of beating them.

There will be quite a few upsets once the Big Dance rolls around. As they say, “That’s why they play the games.”

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Pros miss plenty of wide open shots. Idiotic take. So next game the same team hits 65% of open shots and they are, what, suddenly FF locks? Reaching general conclusions off one game is what chat board posters do, not so-called experts.
This. Judging a season based on one game is pretty ignorant for a “guru”

Maybe people will stop obsessing over his bracket guesses now?

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
One issue many commentators miss with open shots. In the flow of a tight defensive struggle, a player will get an open look and knows the defense is coming hard. This results in a hurried shot that is just off enough. Yes the player usually makes that shot, but in rhythm . Just hurry that shooter enough to not be in rhythm and it's a clanker. That's good D.

Reaction Score
I was especially struck by how hard Aaliyah made Siegrist work when Siegrist was trying to guard Aaliyah on the defensive end - and how that translated to Siegrist's fatigue and being short on a lot of her second half shots on the offensive end. None of Villanova's players are really a match for Edwards physically, but if I were Denise Dillon I may have switched someone else onto Edwards more often to give Siegrist an easier defensive assignment so she could be less gassed on offense.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Three point shooting is tough and as pressure mounts . . .
... Or as a friend of mine used to say, "It's hard to shoot a basketball with both hands around your neck". @hoopsdiva makes a good point above about being sped up in general and the effort they were putting in on defense probably affects shooting as well. Teams have been having "off nights" against the Huskies for 40 years.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I was especially struck by how hard Aaliyah made Siegrist work when Siegrist was trying to guard Aaliyah on the defensive end - and how that translated to Siegrist's fatigue and being short on a lot of her second half shots on the offensive end. None of Villanova's players are really a match for Edwards physically, but if I were Denise Dillon I may have switched someone else onto Edwards more often to give Siegrist an easier defensive assignment so she could be less gassed on offense.
Dalce, who gave Aaliyah problems last time these teams met, is the player who started out defending Aaliyah, with Siegrist on Dorka. Unfortunately for Villanova, Dalce was in foul trouble the entire game, played only 17 minutes and eventually fouled out of the game.

Reaction Score
He was only talking about open shots. Edwards did not give Maddie many open shots, but she did miss 3 open 3s
It is hard to understand how the defense played against a shooter effects even their open shots unless you were a shooter. It was clear she was rushing every shot because the defense was suffocation on her all day long.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom