Charli Collier and Vic Schaefer off to a hot start | The Boneyard

Charli Collier and Vic Schaefer off to a hot start

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
After going FG 8-13, FT 9-9, RB 12 and Scoring 25 PTS in 19 mins against SMU, with a 39 PTS MOV
Charli bettered that with a FG 14-17 (including 2-2 from 3PT land), FT 14-15, RB 16, Scoring 44 PTS in 34 Mins against N-Texas with a 37 PTS MOV

So she is currently averaging FG 73% (100% from Deep) FT 96% , 14 RB's and 34.5 Pts in 26.5 Mins..

On top of Charli's individual Success, in both games, 4) of the starters plus one sub scored in double digits. What a difference a season with a new coach can bring, yes it's early but those numbers paint a promising story for the Longhorns so far... Should be interesting to see how it ends..

Reaction Score
It's a cupcake. Who was Collier up against? I hope she lives up to her promise but I'll wait for a real opponent.

Look at what trouble Boston had against the Gonzaga post. Some of this weekend's games were women vs girls.

Bajan Best

Reaction Score
Is that Schaefer's doing or due to the fact that she's talented and now a junior?
Good question, but the only one who could honestly answer that question would be Charli herself.. :)
The way I look at it is, any coach who is willing to go and learn from Geno is worthy of some credit, I dont believe it is coincidence.. Afterall it usually takes a little time to learn a new coaches system, unless that system caters to your strengths...

Bajan Best

Reaction Score
It's a cupcake. Who was Collier up against? I hope she lives up to her promise but I'll wait for a real opponent.

Look at what trouble Boston had against the Gonzaga post. Some of this weekend's games were women vs girls.
Did Texas not play against cupcakes the previous two seasons?
in those games were her numbers as impressive? Cmon folks it's okay to acknowledge improvement in a player.. :) No one expects her to maintain those percentages throughout the entire season.

Reaction Score
Is that Schaefer's doing or due to the fact that she's talented and now a junior?

Both. Per the Texassports website, "Collier's effort marked the sixth 40-point game in Texas history while her 44 points were the fourth-most in a single game in program history." I am going to enjoy to the max watching Collier play this season as I will be very surprised if she does not declare for the WNBA draft this spring.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Both. Per the Texassports website, "Collier's effort marked the sixth 40-point game in Texas history while her 44 points were the fourth-most in a single game in program history." I am going to enjoy to the max watching Collier play this season as I will be very surprised if she does not declare for the WNBA draft this spring.

Guessing she'd pretty easily be the #1 pick if she has a good season. Skill set should translate well to the pros and the current crop of seniors is awfully weak.

Reaction Score
in those games were her numbers as impressive? Cmon folks it's okay to acknowledge improvement in a player.. :) No one expects her to maintain those percentages throughout the entire season.

N Texas was 12-19 last season. they were Massey No. 191. Talent, even under developed talent , will always look dominant against a 191.

All fanbases make too much of these pseudo-exhibition games.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

I would love to see her have a 44 point game against Baylor.

Reaction Score
Probably some of both but more Schaefer than talent would be my guess! After all, she didn’t suddenly become talented when Schaefer became coach. She never came close to these kinds of numbers for her former coach!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

The troubles SCar had against both S. Dakota and Gonzaga from what I can see were poor games from their back court. Against SD 15 assists on 25 made baskets and against Gonzaga 12 assists on 26 made baskets is not going to get it against top teams. Bigs need to be fed. They can't feed themselves. Against Gonzaga Boston had 5 attempts while Cooke had 17. We all knew that back court leadership would be a problem this year for SCar and so far it has.

Reaction Score
I have to say, SC has not looked like a number 1 team so far. I’m sure they will get better but for now I’m underwhelmed! Boston should have dominated against both of those teams.

Reaction Score
Was she going for some kind of a personal record during this game (was it the 44 pts?) to be playing 34 minutes against North Texas Mean Green?

Reaction Score
I am surprised and impressed. Saw her play numerous times on tv and didn't see her as a top center. New offensive system seems to revolve around her.

Bajan Best

Reaction Score
I am surprised and impressed. Saw her play numerous times on tv and didn't see her as a top center. New offensive system seems to revolve around her.
I agree, I don't even think Collier saw herself as a top center, she played more like a Forward... I would truly like to see the replays of the games myself, been scanning the internet but with no success so far... From what she posted on Twitter, it appears she was trying more to focus on Inside play...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
N Texas was 12-19 last season. they were Massey No. 191. Talent, even under developed talent , will always look dominant against a 191.

All fanbases make too much of these pseudo-exhibition games.
Thanks for saving me the trouble @Alydar.

Reaction Score
The troubles SCar had against both S. Dakota and Gonzaga from what I can see were poor games from their back court. Against SD 15 assists on 25 made baskets and against Gonzaga 12 assists on 26 made baskets is not going to get it against top teams. Bigs need to be fed. They can't feed themselves. Against Gonzaga Boston had 5 attempts while Cooke had 17. We all knew that back court leadership would be a problem this year for SCar and so far it has.
Henderson and Cooke seem like similar players, and both like to score the ball, Russell didn’t get off the bench in the last game, point guard play looks to be a challenge for South Car right now.

Reaction Score
Charli and Liv would have made a good duo if Collier would have stuck with UConn and Liv still committed if Collier had signed here, there games actually would blend in well together.

Reaction Score
Backcourt play has been a long-time bugaboo for SC. The irony, of course, is that Dawn was herself a top flight guard. The Gamecocks are one of several teams loaded with good players; Maryland is another. Whereas SC was challenged and survived, the Terps managed to lose their second game.
I don't know if this is a radical thought, but as much as I like Dawn and as much as I don't like Brenda (a bit histrionic?), I wonder if either is really an excellent coach. I suggest this judging by the teams' talent and limited success. You have to win the games you're supposed to win. IMO,
Good luck, better duck. They'll be coming for you.

Reaction Score
I would love to see her have a 44 point game against Baylor.
Baylor will not have as strong a post defense as they have been known for in the past. The are teams who have a stronger front line on defense this season. Egbo and Smith are no Brown and Cox. That said she definitely would not score 44 against Baylor.

Reaction Score
Played a lot of ball at a high level; could not have had Collier's shooting stats even with the benefit of a VERY tall step ladder.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom