Charli Collier and Vic Schaefer off to a hot start

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
These Collier's are tough.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
Wondering how he was able to install his daughter as Director of Basketball Operations while avoiding the dreaded nepotism accusation.

Reaction Score
Wondering how he was able to install his daughter as Director of Basketball Operations while avoiding the dreaded nepotism accusation.
To be fair she isn't the first and won't be the last. Mulkey's daughter has a role on her staff. Blair had a similar role last year at MSU. Kelly Harper's husband is an assistant. Insell at MTSU has his son on staff again after he was fired from Ole Miss. Nepotism is pretty rampant in athletics and it's a very closed world.

Not saying it's "right" but just the reality.

Reaction Score
To be fair she isn't the first and won't be the last. Mulkey's daughter has a role on her staff. Blair had a similar role last year at MSU. Kelly Harper's husband is an assistant. Insell at MTSU has his son on staff again after he was fired from Ole Miss. Nepotism is pretty rampant in athletics and it's a very closed world.

Not saying it's "right" but just the reality.
MS, to be completely fair as regards nepotism, basketball is child's play compared to law enforcement. Many departments have decades of families of son;s, brothers, and now daughters and sisters filling the ranks. And if you could find the term "closed world" in the dictionary it would probably have a photo of a police department next to it.

Reaction Score
MS, to be completely fair as regards nepotism, basketball is child's play compared to law enforcement. Many departments have decades of families of son;s, brothers, and now daughters and sisters filling the ranks. And if you could find the term "closed world" in the dictionary it would probably have a photo of a police department next to it.

Seriously, look at that Blue Bloods family. While department sits down for dinner. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Nice numbers but gotta keep in mind, she was posting these numbers last year against season. Then in certain games, she would give you a shy 16/8 or something like that. In a few games where Texas lost, she would post low numbers. Good numbers to any other program. But when she dropping 25 & 46 against North Texas or SMU, I am like cool. Do that against a Baylor or Texas A&M, now!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Nice numbers but gotta keep in mind, she was posting these numbers last year against season. Then in certain games, she would give you a shy 16/8 or something like that. In a few games where Texas lost, she would post low numbers. Good numbers to any other program. But when she dropping 25 & 46 against North Texas or SMU, I am like cool. Do that against a Baylor or Texas A&M, now!

Is that kinda like Megan Walker last year, or is that different? :rolleyes:

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
IN ALL FAIRNESS Didn't Charli have 20 pts and 19 rebounds against Stanford last year?

*** CLICK HERE FOR Charli Collier 2019-20 Season and Career Statistics

Reaction Score
Also true in many career and volunteer fire departments.

Reaction Score
Here is my hot take. Charli Collier is the most talented big in the country.....who now how has a great coach. There is a reason she was so highly rated out of high school and I bet it shows this year. Aston is the best combination of great recruiter/terrible coach in the history of WCBB. Man, she got talent to Austin, but she never did anything with it. Charli will flourish, and then some, under Schaeffer.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
This is now the 3rd game in a row that 4) starters and 1) sub have scored in double figures.

**Collier apparently fouled out but led her team in scoring with 22 pts, which was second only in the game to Louisiana Tech's 6'-0" Junior Forward, Brianna Harris, who scored 25 PTS on 9 of 11 field goals and 6 of 7 from the charity stripe. She also equaled Charli with 8 rebounds of her own....

** Box Score for Louisiana Tech vs Texas (12/02)

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Charli has had a big start. She seems like a nice young woman and is really improving her play. I wish we still had her, but the hurricane swayed her to stay home. I love the fact that we have Olivia and 10 other great people.

Reaction Score

Yes, but last year she was a sophomore. Now she is an experienced and matured junior, both physically and mentally.......and she has one of the top 5 coaches in the country. This isn't a fluke because of competition. Her talent has always been off the charts.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see if TX can finally get over the hump this year and win the Big 12 vs Baylor. The Lady Bears certainly looked vulnerable the other night vs USF, and you know that TX will certainly not come up short in the HC department under Vic.

Assuming that Baylor would have won last year’s Big 12 championship, the Lady Bears have been the top team in 9 of the past 10 years, with only WVA’s 2017 upset marring their dominance.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
N Texas was 12-19 last season. they were Massey No. 191. Talent, even under developed talent , will always look dominant against a 191.
All fanbases make too much of these pseudo-exhibition games.
To your point, Texas actually played North Texas last season (19-20). Collier had 21 and 14 against North Texas last season while Vic was still in Mississippi.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Here is my hot take. Charli Collier is the most talented big in the country.....who now how has a great coach. There is a reason she was so highly rated out of high school and I bet it shows this year. Aston is the best combination of great recruiter/terrible coach in the history of WCBB. Man, she got talent to Austin, but she never did anything with it. Charli will flourish, and then some, under Schaeffer.
You must not have heard of Holly Warlick.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Charli has had a big start. She seems like a nice young woman and is really improving her play. I wish we still had her, but the hurricane swayed her to stay home. I love the fact that we have Olivia and 10 other great people.

Collier has definitely improved many parts of her game and I am glad she is doing so well but I like Liv's style much better. Give me a passing big any day. Collier has 0 assists total through 3 games. I realize she may not be asked to do any passing but not my idea of attractive basketball

Reaction Score
Yes, but last year she was a sophomore. Now she is an experienced and matured junior, both physically and mentally.......and she has one of the top 5 coaches in the country. This isn't a fluke because of competition. Her talent has always been off the charts.

We shall see.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Collier is a very good player and Vic will make her a better one. But before I jump on this bandwagon, I would like to see how she matches up with a true post defender with some size. Let’s see how she does against the Lady Bears.

Reaction Score
Collier is a very good player and Vic will make her a better one. But before I jump on this bandwagon, I would like to see how she matches up with a true post defender with some size. Let’s see how she does against the Lady Bears.

Thank you. That is all I was saying. She is a great talent. Love to see players shine and do well. Let's hope she keeps that level of energy going against the Texas A&M's and Lady Vols.

Reaction Score
Nice match up for Texas today. Texas A & M is going to be the measuring stick for this Texas Longhorns program and Coach Schaefer.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I like Collier and think she will be very good. That being that she is not ready for the WNBA IMO and should stay with Vic and Johnnie another year.
This is what annoys me with commentators and ESPN. She was anointed as a #1 mock draft pick and blowing up her name because of her enormous stats through the 1st 3 games. They were good. 30/12 is great averages but she didn't play against anyone who could match her size for size and a top team. She did tonight (TAMU) and it showed. She needs more time to get better but that's just my 2 cents which amounts to nothing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom