Charleston Classic | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Charleston Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Going to Savannah next weekend for the first time and looking forward to it. I haven’t been to Charleston either. This tournament seems like as good of a excuse as any to go.

Definitely a bit warm as a time to go to Savannah, but maybe it doesn't matter coming from Atlanta. It's a fun city, but also really quite beautiful in the historic squares. I also recommend a trip out to Bonaventure cemetery. Pretty spot and Johnny Mercer's grave is interesting.

Reaction Score
Definitely a bit warm as a time to go to Savannah, but maybe it doesn't matter coming from Atlanta. It's a fun city, but also really quite beautiful in the historic squares. I also recommend a trip out to Bonaventure cemetery. Pretty spot and Johnny Mercer's grave is interesting.

Yeah I mean, it was just a situation where we happened across a good Airbnb deal and decided it would be nice to get a weekend away.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Reaction Score
Might be a nice trip! You’ve peeked my interest. Still a long time away but I’ll do everything possible to make to trip!!! Always wanted to visit Charleston!!

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score
Got my 2 today. Hopefully we can get an all Big East final playing X, but assume we'll be matched up with X in the semis if the tourney is seeded properly.

Reaction Score
For those trying to plan their trip, there's no rush to buy before the brackets come out because it's all general admission, even the seat backs in the Premium Lower areas.
With that in mind, I've been in touch with the guy running the tournament and he said it won't be official till later this week but he lobbied hard for UConn to be in the Thursday and Friday evening brackets because he knows there are a lot of UConn alums in the Carolinas. I just sent an email letting him know there will likely be quite a few from beyond the Carolinas too, so let's make it like the "Garden Light".

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
For those trying to plan their trip, there's no rush to buy before the brackets come out because it's all general admission, even the seat backs in the Premium Lower areas.
With that in mind, I've been in touch with the guy running the tournament and he said it won't be official till later this week but he lobbied hard for UConn to be in the Thursday and Friday evening brackets because he knows there are a lot of UConn alums in the Carolinas. I just sent an email letting him know there will likely be quite a few from beyond the Carolinas too, so let's make it like the "Garden Light".
Hope Uconn makes the Charleston classic an annual thing. So many Uconn alums/fans/CT transplants in the area and Charleston is such a fun, accessible place for uconn fans up north. Jim Calhoun even has a second home here. We’ll show well for this tournament.

Reaction Score
The brackets will be revealed at 2 PM on Thursday. Rumor has it they delayed it a couple hours so Chief could get a fine lunch of shrimp and grits at Magnolia's before heading over to the arena for the ceremony.

Reaction Score
Ghost tour we did was fun. Totally agree on the squares, historic home tours are nice too. Mercer house is open now and is a good choice. Juliet Gordon Low house is another. Agree that River street is just tourist trap stuff. City market has gotten a lot nicer though. The on-off bus is honestly a decent way to get around on your first day, and get a feel for where things are. Hopefully your AirBnB is in a good spot.

I never much focused on the food, because we always go back to the Beaufort area and there is tons of low country cooking to be had there. Best shrimp anywhere down there. Don't eat at the Pirate House. Moon River brewing is just ok. Savannah is one of the few places I've seen outside of NOLA where they have the slushy booze drinks on the wall (it's a disgrace to the original Hemingway Daiquiri to call them Daiquiris).

Always fun to re-watch Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil before you go...or read it if you haven't. I picked it up in the Savannah airport long before it was a best seller and movie. Solid read.

Edit: meant to tag @Guapo

Thanks! And believe me, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil gets plenty of play in our house - anything involving Uga does.

Fun fact: Sunny Syler, who plays the judge in the movie, was, in real life, the defense attorney in that murder trail. Also, he and his family are Uga’s owners.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Thanks! And believe me, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil gets plenty of play in our house - anything involving Uga does.

Fun fact: Sunny Syler, who plays the judge in the movie, was, in real life, the defense attorney in that murder trail. Also, he and his family are Uga’s owners.

Yeah, that was a fun cameo. You should definitely go to Mercer House. The Lady Chablis passed in 2016 but for a long time you could catch her act. Never did though.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I stayed at the Beach Club. If you are taking kids it’s a pretty good spot. The shuttle will take you back and forth to downtown. There are a couple of awesome places for breakfast nearby.

Reaction Score
Is buffalo expected to be good?
Nowhere near as good as last year. Four of their top five scorers graduated including: CJ Massinburg, Nick Perkins and Jeremy Harris. They will have good guard play between Davonta Jordan, Jayvon Graves and MTSU transfer Antwain Johnson, but do not have proven frontcourt options. No cupcake by any means, but UConn should win this game and have a chance to play Xavier in the 2nd round.

Reaction Score
Is that all that is being released today? Or will they reveal the actual bracket with game times as well? Asking for travel booking purposes.

Reaction Score
Surprisingly, no love from ESPN...

Team to beat: Florida. With Kerry Blackshear Jr. now in the fold, Florida is a legitimate national title contender -- and we'll also get an early look at the impact of Gators five-star freshman Scottie Lewis.

Sleeper team: Miami. The Hurricanes should take a step forward next season, with Chris Lykes running the show and the addition of four-star guards Harlond Beverly and Isaiah Wong.

Player to watch: Xavier brings back four starters from a team that finished strong -- but Travis Steele will need an immediate impact from Ohio graduate transfer Jason Carter up front.

Something for the college hoops junkies: What's next at Buffalo? The Bulls have been to the NCAA tournament four times in the last six seasons and lost coaches Bobby Hurley (Arizona State) and Nate Oats (Alabama) along the way. Can Jim Whitesell continue the winning ways? -- Jeff Borzello

Your guide to 13 early-season college basketball tournaments

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Surprisingly, no love from ESPN...

Team to beat: Florida. With Kerry Blackshear Jr. now in the fold, Florida is a legitimate national title contender -- and we'll also get an early look at the impact of Gators five-star freshman Scottie Lewis.

Sleeper team: Miami. The Hurricanes should take a step forward next season, with Chris Lykes running the show and the addition of four-star guards Harlond Beverly and Isaiah Wong.

Player to watch: Xavier brings back four starters from a team that finished strong -- but Travis Steele will need an immediate impact from Ohio graduate transfer Jason Carter up front.

Something for the college hoops junkies: What's next at Buffalo? The Bulls have been to the NCAA tournament four times in the last six seasons and lost coaches Bobby Hurley (Arizona State) and Nate Oats (Alabama) along the way. Can Jim Whitesell continue the winning ways? -- Jeff Borzello

Your guide to 13 early-season college basketball tournaments

Beat Buffalo by double figures and that narrative will change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom