Charcoal or Gas? | The Boneyard

Charcoal or Gas?

Simple question, what tastes better? Food cooked on a gas grill or a charcoal grill.

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Poll question, which do you prefer as far as taste. Food cooked on a gas grill or food on a charcoal grill. I only cook with charcoal.

Reaction Score
Poll question, which do you prefer as far as taste. Food cooked on a gas grill or food on a charcoal grill. I only cook with charcoal.
I love the convenience of a good gas grill with a rotisserie but would love to hone my charcoal skills with a Kamodo Joe or Big Green Egg. I know people who swear by the pellet smokers. Anyone have any experience with Oklahoma Joe or Pit Boss cookers?

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
D6F7643E-AF2F-44CA-BF9B-98840936589A.jpeg

VCE

Reaction Score
Sous vide/oven then a cast iron pan plus butter.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Pimento
None of you even know what a pimento stick looks like never mind how to cook on them .

Reaction Score
Wouldn't surprise me if charcoal tastes better, but who has the time for that?

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
"Convenience" is overrated. My weber is ready in 15-20 mins with almost no prep. A chimney starter is a godsend.

My dad used to bundle about a weekday paper's worth of newspaper under the main grate, then put goals on main grate. He spent more time scrunching paper than cooking.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This survey's interim results are scary.

The question was which method creates better tasting food.

That answer is simple- charcoal. Only one person gave a correct justification for gas- it induces almost no flavor or smell in to the food being cooked. That's a valid response for people whose taste buds are underdeveloped.

No one asked which method is quicker, more convenient, more cost effective or the other irrelevant responses given.

Reaction Score
This survey's interim results are scary.

The question was which method creates better tasting food.

That answer is simple- charcoal. Only one person gave a correct justification for gas- it induces almost no flavor or smell in to the food being cooked. That's a valid response for people whose taste buds are underdeveloped.

No one asked which method is quicker, more convenient, more cost effective or the other irrelevant responses given.
You think too highly of us.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Our neighbors when I was a kid built a brick charcoal burning fireplace in the backyard. Let us use it. Best tasting steaks and burgers in history. But at two houses I owned, we hooked up natural gas to our deck/patio grills. Some foods taste kinda weird on charcoal so to me it’s kind of a matter of what you’re grilling.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
But it's really bad for the planet.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Actually, that's a valid response for people who have highly developed palates.

I look at it the same way I do french roast coffee. Some people want to taste the roast/carbon and only those notes (e.g. chocolate, carmelized sugar) that make it through a high roasting temperature. Others who prefer lighter roasted coffees wish to appreciate the intrinsic fruit and spice notes that the particular variety of beans offer without being cloaked by roastiness.

And I'll argue that with you forever if you wish.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I use propane for the grill and the smoker. Clean, easy to use, consistent temperatures for cooking.

As for flavor, if I want I have a wood box for the grill. I can put in wood chips and get that smokey flavor. Same with my smoker, obviously. And a lot of the flavor comes from the quality of meat you purchase and how you prepare it.

It's all about personal preference. There is no right or wrong.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom