Charcoal or Gas? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Charcoal or Gas?

Simple question, what tastes better? Food cooked on a gas grill or a charcoal grill.

• Total voters

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Otherwise you want to be a man just because it’s summertime and don’t actually know how to cook? Gas is fine. You can cook great stuff on gas. But if this question in its simplest form even arises, I default to “ you don’t know how to cook anyway , what’s the difference?”
This kind of hyperbole is beneath you.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
This kind of hyperbole is beneath you.
It’s not hyperbole. Actually it probably is. But Think about it. I stipulated you can cook great stuff on gas. But if you’re asking the question “ gas or charcoal” and I mean no offense to OP at all even though it sounds like it, the message is just cook your food and enjoy it. But your point is taken.

my point is temp control way more important than fire source. If you want to put in work to know your charcoal temps. It’s just better. If you don’t, fine . Gas will make it easier

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don’t even understand how people can like yard work, or a Tom Collins.

But I have been out plenty today. Been up since 5:00 and feel like it’s almost time for happy hour. Brought my youngest to get her second shot first thing this morning, got a nice breakfast with her and then we moved our kayaks down to their storage racks on the beach for the season. Just put the A/C on for the first time this year, reading the paper, listening to my favorite weekly radio show and getting psyched for our first on-premises dining at our favorite pizza joint tonight for the first time in over a year.

Nothing to be annoyed about at all.
You seem to be annoyed with me, not annoyed with life which is why I suggested maybe you should ignore me. Glad you got your daughter vaxxed. I've been touring breweries all over CT. Had Roseland pizza at the brewery in Derby and Zuppardi's pizza truck at brewery in Woodbridge. Several good packed restaurants mixed in, things feel pretty normal again. Good start to summertime.

Reaction Score
That's another thing I don't understand, it's a must for me.

because i don’t want a huge tank outside my house and im not paying for a guy to bury one for me. Last night a propane tank blew up a 5600 sq ft house. I know its a rarity, i dont have gas at the house because of the aesthetics of the tank.

Attachments

• 6C2449A9-2E7C-4106-8754-A145B2D86397.jpeg
    6C2449A9-2E7C-4106-8754-A145B2D86397.jpeg
    486.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 07A38813-8879-4439-AF98-2988636D9A75.jpeg
    07A38813-8879-4439-AF98-2988636D9A75.jpeg
    493.3 KB · Views: 57

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Smoke on charcoal, grill on propane.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
It’s not hyperbole. Actually it probably is. But Think about it. I stipulated you can cook great stuff on gas. But if you’re asking the question “ gas or charcoal” and I mean no offense to OP at all even though it sounds like it, the message is just cook your food and enjoy it. But your point is taken.

my point is temp control way more important than fire source. If you want to put in work to know your charcoal temps. It’s just better. If you don’t, fine . Gas will make it easier

This is a sensible response. I've got a propane weber, a kettle weber and a drum smoker. I confess that I'm not good with the Kettle, I'm just not. Haven't practiced enough. I also think the minute amount of charcoal flavor imparted in a quick burger cook is (a) not noticeable and (b) not worth the additional prep, which probably triples total cooking time. By the time charcoal is ready, my burgers are done on the genesis. A big thick, slower cooking steak, ok, now you may have an argument for charcoal. Same with 20 burgers for a big crowd. For veggies, I've got them on foil anyway, so charcoal vs gas is irrelevant.

If charcoal is that much better than gas, surely wood is that much better than charcoal. And I would choose gas over anything cooked with lighter fluid or matchlight charcoal any day, that stuff is gross.

Reaction Score
This is a sensible response. I've got a propane weber, a kettle weber and a drum smoker. I confess that I'm not good with the Kettle, I'm just not. Haven't practiced enough. I also think the minute amount of charcoal flavor imparted in a quick burger cook is (a) not noticeable and (b) not worth the additional prep, which probably triples total cooking time. By the time charcoal is ready, my burgers are done on the genesis. A big thick, slower cooking steak, ok, now you may have an argument for charcoal. Same with 20 burgers for a big crowd. For veggies, I've got them on foil anyway, so charcoal vs gas is irrelevant.

If charcoal is that much better than gas, surely wood is that much better than charcoal. And I would choose gas over anything cooked with lighter fluid or matchlight charcoal any day, that stuff is gross.
And with the burger on the genesis, don’t talk to me about the charcoal flavor. Montreal steak seasoning, a bun, onion, pickles, tomato, ketchup and mayo? I’m calling BS on that one.

August_West

Reaction Score
And with the burger on the genesis, don’t talk to me about the charcoal flavor. Montreal steak seasoning, a bun, onion, pickles, tomato, ketchup and mayo? I’m calling BS on that one.
Anything you cook fairly hot and fast like a burger, the differences are not that varied between gas and charcoal. Like I said earlier, I use gas for burgers dogs and veggies all the time. I do slightly prefer a burger over charcoal, but when I’m cooking for only two which is most times these days, the diffence isn’t worth the effort to break out the charcoal chimney on a weeknight.

things that need more time at lower temps, are when you notice more differences . Even stuff like chicken breasts and especially thighs, I absolutely will mostly go to the trouble of charcoal ( if I’m not smoking, but that’s a separate thread)

and then to go back to hot and fast, I will make an addendum , yeah you don’t really tell a much of a difference on a burger, but if I want real hot and fast for a nice ribeye or other cut of tender steak , you can get charcoal hotter than even the best gas grills. Like 1000 degrees and up. And that’s what many ( but not all) great steakhouses cook at.

Anyway. There is no wrong. Just personal taste.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

No idea what you are saying. Burgers don’t cook long enough to get charcoal flavor. That’s my point.

August_West

Reaction Score
I don’t understand why everyone doesn’t just microwave everything.
Because microwaves cook inside out?

Reaction Score
I don’t understand why everyone doesn’t just microwave everything.

That’s why you need to wrap everything in tinfoil first.
From Google:

"The electric fields in microwaves cause currents of electricity to flow through metal. However, thin pieces of metal, like aluminum foil, are overwhelmed by these currents and heat up very quickly. So quickly in fact, that they can cause a fire."

I have put sweet potatoes in a microwave and after 20 minutes, they cook and taste fine. Of course, I jab into them with a knife first.

I put scrod in a microwave and after 5 minutes, it was pretty good. Not as good as pan cooking in Cabernet wine seasoned on top with Paprika.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
From Google:

"The electric fields in microwaves cause currents of electricity to flow through metal. However, thin pieces of metal, like aluminum foil, are overwhelmed by these currents and heat up very quickly. So quickly in fact, that they can cause a fire."
Middle daughter did precisely that, putting cake (with metal cake pan) from her Easy Bake Oven in the microwave when it wasn’t cooking fast enough.

August_West

Reaction Score
Middle daughter did precisely that, putting cake (with metal cake pan) from her Easy Bake Oven in the microwave when it wasn’t cooking fast enough.
The lightning storm is cool as heck.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The lightning storm is cool as heck.
It actually melted the coating off the metal rack in the microwave and also caused one the plastic rack holders to melt and it stank every time we used it until I pulled it out with a pair of pliers. So…no more rack.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
It actually melted the coating off the metal rack in the microwave and also caused one the plastic rack holders to melt and it stank every time we used it until I pulled it out with a pair of pliers. So…no more rack.
TIL: people have microwaves with racks.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Cartons of Chinese food with the metal handles can be a problem. I even recall the foil like paper on fast food burgers triggering it.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
TIL: people have microwaves with racks.
Didn’t know that was a thing either until we bought this range when we moved in 18 years ago.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom