Cha-Chong | The Boneyard

Cha-Chong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Some were surprised, I wasnt. Her scoring and ability to come through in the clutch has always been there. Now we have another scorer who can also hit outside shots and as you saw has the ability to find her way through the trees to score. It reminded me of her high school games. Cha Chong is money.

So we pulled out a tuff win on the road against a very good FL St team. Yeah Romero didnt play but Gabby and Lou were on the bench for a long time and we had 3 players foul out and 2 others with 4 fouls and still won. Foul trouble causes leaks in the defense because opponents can attack you knowing you cant afford to foul.

We also found another scorer in Saniya and she is a terrific scorer. What that means is you cant sluff off her and double down low. When you take another look at the game you see our two top scorers Gabby and Lou sat quite a bit, Kia had an off nite and we still beat a good team on the road in our first game without the Big 3. I like it alot.

The Baylor game will be different. They have multiple bigs. We will have to double down low when the ball goes inside leaving someone open and that someone will have to hit their shot. I expect alot of pressure on the ball because of their bigs underneath who can pick up any defender who gets beat. I like Butler in this game. She can keep the defense honest and can score and at least be a threat to score within 15 ft.

I do expect a different game then the FL St game. I expect UConn to calm down and execute and stay out of early foul trouble. Foul trouble shows inexperience and we are a very young team. I expect patience. I expect another close game. If UConn is hitting on all cylinders with balanced scoring they will win easily. Something that concerned me about Baylor. With all those bigs they didnt make the FF last season and struggled against UCLA another very good team. IMO with all those bigs they shouldnt struggle. It is suppose to be an up and down season. It is a very tuff schedule early on. We will experience growing pains through out the season We will see tomorrow nite.

Reaction Score
Some were surprised, I wasnt. Her scoring and ability to come through in the clutch has always been there. Now we have another scorer who can also hit outside shots and as you saw has the ability to find her way through the trees to score. It reminded me of her high school games. Cha Chong is money.

So we pulled out a tuff win on the road against a very good FL St team. Yeah Romero didnt play but Gabby and Lou were on the bench for a long time and we had 3 players foul out and 2 others with 4 fouls and still won. Foul trouble causes leaks in the defense because opponents can attack you knowing you cant afford to foul.

We also found another scorer in Saniya and she is a terrific scorer. What that means is you cant sluff off her and double down low. When you take another look at the game you see our two top scorers Gabby and Lou sat quite a bit, Kia had an off nite and we still beat a good team on the road in our first game without the Big 3. I like it alot.

The Baylor game will be different. They have multiple bigs. We will have to double down low when the ball goes inside leaving someone open and that someone will have to hit their shot. I expect alot of pressure on the ball because of their bigs underneath who can pick up any defender who gets beat. I like Butler in this game. She can keep the defense honest and can score and at least be a threat to score within 15 ft.

I do expect a different game then the FL St game. I expect UConn to calm down and execute and stay out of early foul trouble. Foul trouble shows inexperience and we are a very young team. I expect patience. I expect another close game. If UConn is hitting on all cylinders with balanced scoring they will win easily. Something that concerned me about Baylor. With all those bigs they didnt make the FF last season and struggled against UCLA another very good team. IMO with all those bigs they shouldnt struggle. It is suppose to be an up and down season. It is a very tuff schedule early on. We will experience growing pains through out the season We will see tomorrow nite.

Thank you for this one. Chong needs all the hurray fans she can get and UConn needs Chong.
I admit I was surprised--I knew of her HS feats--only once did she show it (Stanford). She came along big time in the Fla St game--Uconn would not have won without Chongs attacking and scoring as she did. She was unstoppable. It's time for the Chong Cheering section to make a lot more noise.
Baylor can be beaten--and you suggested one way---but in order to beat Baylor Uconn has to come out and scoring on All cylinders--Collier, KLS, Chong, Kia, Gabby, Butler, Crystal, Molly, Kyla--no shrinking violets--poise, character, and talent must be fully used. Defense will win the game.

Reaction Score
After watching the game again, I stick with my early thoughts before the game regarding Butler. The huskies need her in the lineup. She was a calming influence when she entered the game. I was disappointed in the way Gabby, KLS, and Kia played. All three of them looked " tight " ! Why ? Noone expects this husky team to dominate . My only reasoning is that they are aware of the " streak ". But, Geno seemed tight down the stretch too. Some of the decisions left me shaking my head. Nurse is a 3 yr. starter, and has made no noticeable improvement on the offensive side of the floor. Gabby is an athletically gifted player without a position. Yes, she has improved her shooting range, but is not a good ball handler and is an undersized front court player. The huskies 3 best scorers are KLS, Collier and Chong, and will be the dominant scorers on this team. Dangerfield has lots of potential , but wiil have ups and downs. I still see the best starting 5 as Butler, Collier, KLS, Nurse and Chong . Gabby and Chrystal first off bench.

Reaction Score
Only one game but based just off that one, I agree that the team might be better off with Butler starting and Williams off the bench. I think both should still be 20-25+ minutes. Geno is going to have to make the small ball line up work because of what they have personnel wise. It may work better starting big, and coming with the small line up as a change of pace... but what do I know.. I'm just a fan.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
As i've noted elsewhere, both Napheesa and Saniya had epiphanies during that game...
First Pheesa, quite a bit later Saniya (who spoke of her disappointment with herself during the half-time break).

They both came to believe that their best efforts were required if this game was to be won...To play with both desperation and confidence and they shouldered that responsibility and responded.

It was gratifying to watch...it's taken a heck of a long time for Saniya to get it...I hope it stays.
she sure has nifty moves to get inside...quite special.

I remember Moriah, mid-season of her freshman year, made one of her patterned slashes inside and I said...Holly Cow, do that more...But we had to wait a bit 'till it became a regular part of her college repertoire (of course, she had done that in High School repeatedly).

The reason for all this positive mindset, in the face of changing roles: good coaching, very good coaching...and good talent.

I wondered if this was at all possible this season...so far, a very positive step.

About handicapping the upcoming game: for me: virtually impossible.
We coud win by 20 or lose by 30.

it will be fascinating to see.
But all of a sudden, the possibility that this could be a terrific team is coming into a focus.
Only one of the big 4 responded on Monday and it was enough to eke out a win.
If they all play to Saniya's and Napheesa's level on Thursday, woe on anyone.

Reaction Score
When was the last time we saw a husky team throwing shots up after only one or two passes ? I hope the coaching staff is harping on good ball movement and movement without the ball in the half court. There is plenty of talent on this team. We have the best coaching staff. I found monday's game to be very entertaining, and looking forward to watching the evolution game to game.

Reaction Score
Seeing Saniya explode at the end of the game was excellent, but not surprising, as I am a huge Chong fan.

The thing that impresses me the most about her play is the fact that she finished the game with 6 assists and 0 turnovers! She is the only player that had 20 or more minutes and didn't have at least 2 turnovers.

She may not have been putting the ball in the basket at the start of the game, but she didn't get frazzled and become careless with the ball. I know it was just one game, but I have all the confidence in the world that she will have a spectacular senior season.

Reaction Score
I always thought that Chong's problem was Jefferson. Chong is at her best with the ball in her hands but spent her first 3 years playing the 2. It's hard to drive the lane when you are planted on the weak side perimeter and rarely touch the ball, and it's hard to display your transition skills at pg when Geno has shut it down midway through the 3rd period. She has all the court speed of MJ and is a really really good passer. When UConn gets its transition game going she will be an asset pushing the ball upcourt.

As for the team, I read endless posts about how this roster is a work in progress prior to the season and yet some still act as if all the staff has to do is wave a magic wand to turn them into a cohesive unit. Yes, it's hard to watch all the mistakes but wasn't the general feeling here that they needed time?

Geno and the players have been telling everyone for several years now that it isn't as easy as they make it look. It took hundreds of practice hours to produce last year's masterpiece season. Myself, I'll need a few B&B's to get through some early games but that's what I expected going into the season. And if I want to see near-perfection before February I'll put on replays of the last 2 years.

Reaction Score
I always thought that Chong's problem was Jefferson. Chong is at her best with the ball in her hands but spent her first 3 years playing the 2. It's hard to drive the lane when you are planted on the weak side perimeter and rarely touch the ball, and it's hard to display your transition skills at pg when Geno has shut it down midway through the 3rd period. She has all the court speed of MJ and is a really really good passer. When UConn gets its transition game going she will be an asset pushing the ball upcourt.

As for the team, I read endless posts about how this roster is a work in progress prior to the season and yet some still act as if all the staff has to do is wave a magic wand to turn them into a cohesive unit. Yes, it's hard to watch all the mistakes but wasn't the general feeling here that they needed time?

Geno and the players have been telling everyone for several years now that it isn't as easy as they make it look. It took hundreds of practice hours to produce last year's masterpiece season. Myself, I'll need a few B&B's to get through some early games but that's what I expected going into the season. And if I want to see near-perfection before February I'll put on replays of the last 2 years.
I totally agree. I also believe what has been lost in all of these opinions, is the difficulty in coordinating the complex defensive switching system, We score 80 points against
any team we have a chance to win. It takes longer for these kids to grasp this system but have faith once they do , look out.

Reaction Score
I'll go back to what I said before the season started - Chong is a major key. We need 10-15 points from her every night (and she's capable of it). We really need scoring from the back court - Nurse does a lot of great things, but she's been "pressing" for a year now on the offensive end. Dangerfield is going to be a good one, but it'll take time.

Reaction Score
Only one game but based just off that one, I agree that the team might be better off with Butler starting and Williams off the bench. I think both should still be 20-25+ minutes. Geno is going to have to make the small ball line up work because of what they have personnel wise. It may work better starting big, and coming with the small line up as a change of pace... but what do I know.. I'm just a fan.
One of the shortfalls that came out of the Florida State game was less than satisfactory rebounding. Despite her size, Williams is one of our best rebounders. To keep her out of the starting line-up and potentially a key portion of the game, could seriously handicap us ...especially against a strong rebounding team like Baylor. Chong is excellent and more than proved it in the FSU game, but she may be more valuable as a special, spark off the bench with even more minutes when Nurse has the type problems she had against FSU. Butler proved she has good offensive and decent, ever-improving defensive value and again is a significant rebounder badly needed to make-up for our overall lack of size when faced with bigger, talented opponents. With her more than adequate size, we need Lou to further step-up in rebounding support. I'd stick with Butler, KLS, Gabby, Collier and Nurse as the starting five. ( Gabby won't disappoint!!!)

Reaction Score
I think the best way to optimize Saniya's abilities is to use her like the Pistons used Vinnie Johnson. She is not a point, she struggles when she has to set up the offense and tends to get lost. If she is told to score when she enters the game I think she would thrive. I know it is not the UConn way but I don't think any one cared when she did just that in the FSU game.

Reaction Score
All great posts above. Saniya has the ability of takeover games and now for some reason a light has gone off and she lookd ready to shine. Hope she can keep this new mindset and show her true abilities.

Reaction Score
When Saniya get pulled from the game, it is usually because she is not playing good defense, not because of her offense which she always seems to be able to bring out. She is a natural scorer, and seems to have plenty of speed that I don't know why she is out of position quite a bit on defense, even now. Also she always do that funky head bobble which seems like a waste move because I don't see anyone biting on that. Kia Nurse seems like she starts using that head bobble now as well. Love Saniya's perseverance and loyalty though!

Reaction Score
As i've noted elsewhere, both Napheesa and Saniya had epiphanies during that game...
First Pheesa, quite a bit later Saniya (who spoke of her disappointment with herself during the half-time break).

They both came to believe that their best efforts were required if this game was to be won...To play with both desperation and confidence and they shouldered that responsibility and responded.

It was gratifying to watch...it's taken a heck of a long time for Saniya to get it...I hope it stays.
she sure has nifty moves to get inside...quite special.

I remember Moriah, mid-season of her freshman year, made one of her patterned slashes inside and I said...Holly Cow, do that more...But we had to wait a bit 'till it became a regular part of her college repertoire (of course, she had done that in High School repeatedly).

The reason for all this positive mindset, in the face of changing roles: good coaching, very good coaching...and good talent.

I wondered if this was at all possible this season...so far, a very positive step.

About handicapping the upcoming game: for me: virtually impossible.
We coud win by 20 or lose by 30.

it will be fascinating to see.
But all of a sudden, the possibility that this could be a terrific team is coming into a focus.
Only one of the big 4 responded on Monday and it was enough to eke out a win.
If they all play to Saniya's and Napheesa's level on Thursday, woe on anyone.
If you watched Collier in the u19 title game two years ago USA vs Russia you would have seen the same type of performance as she had vs Florida State. She was the best player on the floor and that included Aja Davis. Also Crystal Dangerfield was tremendous in that game. Looking for more great performances from Collier and continued improvement from Crystal.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Seeing Saniya explode at the end of the game was excellent, but not surprising, as I am a huge Chong fan.

The thing that impresses me the most about her play is the fact that she finished the game with 6 assists and 0 turnovers! She is the only player that had 20 or more minutes and didn't have at least 2 turnovers.

She may not have been putting the ball in the basket at the start of the game, but she didn't get frazzled and become careless with the ball. I know it was just one game, but I have all the confidence in the world that she will have a spectacular senior season.
So I guess her assist-to-turnover ratio for the season is infinity. Talk about a big-time stat: It's not even defined over the set of real numbers!!

Reaction Score
I've said all along that Saniya & Natalie were going to work their butts off in the off-season and come back refreshed to their old selves!
I really think Gabby, Kia, and KLS had first game over psych and now that that's over they'll revert back to their normal abilities!
Don't be surprised if Geno has the girls spend most of the game defensively in a zone! Trying to pack it in vs the Baylor "trees" and force a non-3 shooting team to make 3's!
I couldn't stand Dennis Rodman's antics but he sure could rebound the ball for a shorter post player so our girls can hang with Baylor's bigs if they remember their rebounding skill set!
Offensively we're too talented for the Bears to hold us under 70 or 75 points and they'll be in the 50's or low 60's!

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score

When you consider EVERYTHING: dribbling, driving, shooting, passing, hustle, I believe she is the best "all around" player on the team........BUT: she has to do it consistently!

Reaction Score

Sometimes I find myself wondering what Chong would be like had she chosen another school. She has not been (in my view) the worst defender in the past 3-years, yet she has paid a high price- psychologically, and it has played its trick on her.

I'm going to go on a tangent and say the 3 players who vastly under-performed in this game had better live up to expectations- beyond role playeres- in the near future, because next year things will be more difficult. Even now. I was rather impressed that a relatively unknown- Molly- came in and played with lot of poised- notwithstanding an errant pass. But I have always been big on Pheese and her ability to play in traffic. Getting stronger will be a key for her, especially when the bigs get rough with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom