OT: - CFP Thoughts | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: CFP Thoughts

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
If they didn’t belong, who you gonna put in? Cincinnati/ A&M / Florida? Top 4 were fine. It’s like every March Madness people cry about 65-75 teams should make it. No one cares , they all had their chance to prove themselves. Plus if they did expand it it dilutes the regular season and no talking point really. Be careful what you ask for
So Notre Dame proved themselves by getting crushed by Clemson last week? OSU proved themselves by playing 5 games less than everyone else?

How many regular season games do the lower divisions play? Are those diluted?

Husky25

Reaction Score
What? That’s just how tournaments work.
I think you will understand my point if you read on.

I guess at the end of the day, I take issue with how the 4 teams are selected.

Reaction Score
I don't really follow the rule changes too much. But that was a legal tackle 10 years ago. Maybe 5. Not complaining. Just observing. Times change.

Sports violence is always a bit hypocritical. Coaches scream kill, kill, kill. Then people pretend to be surprised when someone gets injured. Again, not really complaining. Just the way things are.

Here's to a good championship game.

Reaction Score
So Notre Dame proved themselves by getting crushed by Clemson last week? OSU proved themselves by playing 5 games less than everyone else?

How many regular season games do the lower divisions play? Are those diluted?
Ok then you are correct take out ND who did beat a #1 Clemson team and finished w one loss and a OSU team that looked great but didn’t have a lot of wins. Who you putting in ????? No else deserved it . Coastal Carolina? UCF ? Cincy who barely beat Tulsa in the championship?

Reaction Score
Ok then you are correct take out ND who did beat a #1 Clemson team and finished w one loss and a OSU team that looked great but didn’t have a lot of wins. Who you putting in ????? No else deserved it . Coastal Carolina? UCF ? Cincy who barely beat Tulsa in the championship?
I think the argument against Notre Dame is that when they did beat that Clemson team, Lawrence was out along with 3-4 key defensive players for Clemson. Then in the rematch everybody was healthy and it wasn't even a game. That was essentially a playoff game and ND proved they weren't good enough. That being said, I'm not sure who really deserved it.

I think the line in the sand gets pretty messy when it comes to best team vs most deserving. I don't think that you could point to 4 teams better than Ohio State prior to the final selection show, but I think you maybe could with Notre Dame.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Next team up.

As #2, ND lost was totally outclassed by #3 and only dropped 2 spots. Something seems off there.

Reaction Score
I think you will understand my point if you read on.

I guess at the end of the day, I take issue with how the 4 teams are selected.
The selection system isn’t causing your problem. Your problem is caused by the fact that since 2014 when the playoff system started, Alabama or Clemson (or both) have been massively head and shoulders better than everyone else in the country. Last year LSU was massively head and shoulders better than everyone. OSU and Georgia show up once in a while.

You could have used whatever system you wanted, but is just would have spit out different teams that would have gotten the crap kicked out of them by Alabama or Clemson.

Husky25

Reaction Score
The selection system isn’t causing your problem. Your problem is caused by the fact that since 2014 when the playoff system started, Alabama or Clemson (or both) have been massively head and shoulders better than everyone else in the country. Last year LSU was massively head and shoulders better than everyone. OSU and Georgia show up once in a while.

You could have used whatever system you wanted, but is just would have spit out different teams that would have gotten the crap kicked out of them by Alabama or Clemson.
My issue is with what I view as a corrupt selection system, led by the humans on the committee.

As I've said, I'd welcome a return to something like the BCS computer rankings, with less human intervention.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
My issue is with what I view as a corrupt selection system, led by the humans on the committee.

As I've said, I'd welcome a return to something like the BCS computer rankings, with less human intervention.

there is definitely corruption. See what the committee did to tcu that one year.

Reaction Score

Cool, I’d be fine with that too. It would do zero to address your issue that the committee does a bad job of selecting matchups.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Cool, I’d be fine with that too. It would do zero to address your issue that the committee does a bad job of selecting matchups.

how so? He’s saying take the humans out of it

Reaction Score
how so? He’s saying take the humans out of it
He’s saying the semi final games have been uncompetitive because the humans picking the teams have done a bad job, and that the games would be more competitive if a different system was used.

The reality is that the semi final games have been uncompetitive because Alabama and Clemson have been massively, massively better than everyone else the majority of the last 6-7 years, and there is no selection system that was going to change that.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Yesterday again showed you don’t need to expand the playoffs beyond 4 teams
It’s more about teams wanting to be able to say “we made the playoffs” than there being more than 2-3 legit title contenders a year. Cincy is butthurt this year but in reality if there were an 8 team playoff they’d have lost by 40 points. Would they care? Probably not. It’s all about that “made the playoff” bragging right.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I'm saying exactly what I said at 12:17 in post #25 of this thread.

The Bama/ND game was a fail because ND proved they couldn't hang with Clemson two weeks before. Now they are going to play Bama?

If ND was selected fourth by more of a transparent formula after that loss, fine, but that does not appear to be the case.

OTOH, expanding the field selected through a more objective methodology would theoretically include ND and allow a team like Cincinnati, for example, to at least find out on the field if they belong or not, and not through ESPN talking head speculation.

Reaction Score
ND played a pseudo CFP game in the ACCCG and got smoked. They should not have been there.

They also smoked that same team a couple weeks prior. A team in the FF who else beat anyone even close to that good? There wasn’t a great choice for 4 but they were clearly the best of them all. Whoever played Bama in the 1/4 game was clearly in trouble. Actually maybe the coaching staff didn’t deserve to be there as once again they were clearly out coached, but they’re team did.

You going to say Clemson didn’t deserve to be there either because they were humiliated even worse by OSU?

Husky25

Reaction Score
They also smoked that same team a couple weeks prior. A team in the FF who else beat anyone even close to that good? There wasn’t a great choice for 4 but they were clearly the best of them all. Whoever played Bama in the 1/4 game was clearly in trouble. Actually maybe the coaching staff didn’t deserve to be there as once again they were clearly out coached, but they’re team did.

You going to say Clemson didn’t deserve to be there either because they were humiliated even worse by OSU?

It was 6 weeks prior, in overtime, with Clemson being without arguably the best player in the nation. Important context, don't you think?

I would not say that about Clemson. At full health, they were arguably the 2nd best team in the country all year. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think they said pre game that like 75% of the cfp semi finals were decided by double digits.

That’s a sign it’s probably not wrong. Most bcs years you really only needed 4 teams to solve most disputes anyway
I like watching Clemson play and it was unwatchable after halftime, imagine other games. With 4 teams it atleast keeps the regular season interesting

Reaction Score
It’s more about teams wanting to be able to say “we made the playoffs” than there being more than 2-3 legit title contenders a year. Cincy is butthurt this year but in reality if there were an 8 team playoff they’d have lost by 40 points. Would they care? Probably not. It’s all about that “made the playoff” bragging right.
That's a secondary factor, if that. It's about adding more meaningful postseason games. Currently, there are three meaningful postseason college football games. Everything else is a glorified exhibition game. Yes, Cincinnati would get torn to shreds by Alabama. But it would create multiple other intriguing matchups over the course of three rounds, increase the chances of upsets, and not foster the idea of the same three teams playing each other every year. College football continues to have the most irrelevant postseason in all of competitive sports.

Reaction Score
That's a secondary factor, if that. It's about adding more meaningful postseason games. Currently, there are three meaningful postseason college football games. Everything else is a glorified exhibition game. Yes, Cincinnati would get torn to shreds by Alabama. But it would create multiple other intriguing matchups over the course of three rounds, increase the chances of upsets, and not foster the idea of the same three teams playing each other every year. College football continues to have the most irrelevant postseason in all of competitive sports.
Not to mention high profile players are skipping these games for the NFL combine. So yeah let’s make more of these meaningless games and we’ll love it . SMH

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Not to mention high profile players are skipping these games for the NFL combine. So yeah let’s make more of these meaningless games and we’ll love it . SMH
How is a game you know the outcome of more meaningful?
Up the bowl standard to 8 wins. Not lower the playoff standards.

Reaction Score
I don't really follow the rule changes too much. But that was a legal tackle 10 years ago. Maybe 5. Not complaining. Just observing. Times change.

Sports violence is always a bit hypocritical. Coaches scream kill, kill, kill. Then people pretend to be surprised when someone gets injured. Again, not really complaining. Just the way things are.

Here's to a good championship game.
Never thought much about all those smelling salts I inhaled playing football way back in the day. Also all the stars I saw floating my head. All from crown hits I was administrating. Launching our bodies like missiles was how we were taught to play. Of course I now know I was having concussions.

Also that OSU coach seemed willing to allow Fields to potentially suffer physical and financial consequences for the sake of the trophy. It was won at all costs, very old school.

These kids need some compensation or protections.

Reaction Score
Also that OSU coach seemed willing to allow Fields to potentially suffer physical and financial consequences for the sake of the trophy. It was won at all costs, very old school.

These kids need some compensation or protections.
That's not exactly what happened. During the official timeout for the review of the targeting call, Fields himself told Ryan Day that he wasn't coming out of the game. It wasn't a coach forcing his player to play through injury.

If this isn't what you were getting at I apologize, I'm just making this comment because I saw that idea floated around somewhere earlier.

Screen Shot 2021-01-02 at 9.37.40 PM.png

Reaction Score
It was 6 weeks prior, in overtime, with Clemson being without arguably the best player in the nation. Important context, don't you think?

I would not say that about Clemson. At full health, they were arguably the 2nd best team in the country all year. Hindsight is always 20/20.

The kid threw for 342 yards in the win prior to ND in replacing Lawrence, looked very good. Also an important context no?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom