OT: - Celtics 2020 Offseason | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Celtics 2020 Offseason

Reaction Score
Was looking at Hayward’s player extension, which he will almost certainly sign. As disappointing as Hayward has been these past few years, it doesn’t seem as if Hayward picking his option would hurt the Celtics all that much. There really is only one big free agent in Anthony Davis, who 95% not going to the Cs. And if they did have a chance to sign him or another max free agent, it seems as if we would have to move lots of money around (not picking up theis option, trading kanter, etc).

We could keep Hayward for another year, draft an impact rookie (with the rookie level contract) and extend Tatum. Then next year, we can make a play at a big free agent to go alongside Tatum, Brown and Kemba (with supporting cast of pick 14 rookie, Grant, Langford, Williams, Edwards).

Or I could be completely wrong because the NBA salary structure is confusing as hell. But generally I’ve always been a big supporting of drafting rookies, since they can be big contributors but have low salaries.

Reaction Score
Trade for Steven Adams Ok City - double double guy, physical, intelligent and plenty athletic to guard some of the mismatched they ran into.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Was looking at Hayward’s player extension, which he will almost certainly sign. As disappointing as Hayward has been these past few years, it doesn’t seem as if Hayward picking his option would hurt the Celtics all that much. There really is only one big free agent in Anthony Davis, who 95% not going to the Cs. And if they did have a chance to sign him or another max free agent, it seems as if we would have to move lots of money around (not picking up theis option, trading kanter, etc).

We could keep Hayward for another year, draft an impact rookie (with the rookie level contract) and extend Tatum. Then next year, we can make a play at a big free agent to go alongside Tatum, Brown and Kemba (with supporting cast of pick 14 rookie, Grant, Langford, Williams, Edwards).

Or I could be completely wrong because the NBA salary structure is confusing as hell. But generally I’ve always been a big supporting of drafting rookies, since they can be big contributors but have low salaries.

Celtics have zero cap space for the foreseeable future.

They have the mle and draft picks basically

Reaction Score
Celtics have zero cap space for the foreseeable future.

They have the mle and draft picks basically

I'm about as unfamiliar with the MLE as a person can possibly be. MLE is aroudn 6 million, up to 4 years, right?

Are there any decent bigs/bench pieces available with the MLE at this point?

Reaction Score
I'm about as unfamiliar with the MLE as a person can possibly be. MLE is aroudn 6 million, up to 4 years, right?

Are there any decent bigs/bench pieces available with the MLE at this point?

Two types, taxpayer and regular. Celtics will almost surely have the taxpayer version, which is about 6 mil for up to 3 years. See a lot of 2 year deals with options.

"Playoff caliber starting bigs" probably not. Theis is probably best case scenario at that price point. A bench big, sure.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I could see Danny taking Xavier Tillman. He’s very grant like and could be another guy who can defend modern 5s like bam.

Yes, with a late pick, not 14. Precious is slated to go a little after 14, but he strikes me as a guy who can block shots, shoot and perhaps fit as a modern 5. Given that we played Grant Williams at the 5, Precious is much longer, a better shot blocker and shooter.

Agree with OP that they need shooting and they need paint defense (and offense). I would like a Marcus Smart sized player who can actually score reliably from 3.

the Q

Reaction Score
Yes, with a late pick, not 14. Precious is slated to go a little after 14, but he strikes me as a guy who can block shots, shoot and perhaps fit as a modern 5. Given that we played Grant Williams at the 5, Precious is much longer, a better shot blocker and shooter.

Agree with OP that they need shooting and they need paint defense (and offense). I would like a Marcus Smart sized player who can actually score reliably from 3.

This isn’t the draft for the latter.

Yes I wouldn’t hate Tillman at 30. He’s a contributor who probably won’t be a star but who can defend all over the court.

I’m really all in on a townes deal now.

Langford
Edwards
Big Swat Bob
Hayward
2022 first

Is probably what I got.

GS and okc can beat it. But will they.

Reaction Score
Ryan does a good job of breaking down Celtics roster management. The NBA salary cap is really complex but I always find his breakdowns helpful. Give it a read if you haven’t already.
Celtics Offseason Preview Part 1 - The Boring Stuff
right off the bat i'm disagreeing with his assumption that the 26th pick will be traded for 2 second rounders...what's the point of that? that's what danny did last year when he could have gotten Brandon Clarke!

the Q

Reaction Score
right off the bat i'm disagreeing with his assumption that the 26th pick will be traded for 2 second rounders...what's the point of that? that's what danny did last year when he could have gotten Brandon Clarke!

yeah that’s one I didn’t like. Maybe if it’s like 32 this year and another pick. Danny turned a pick like 32 (In 2016) into the 14th pick this year. It is possible.

but yeah it’s a weird assumption with some foreign guys out there who are worthy of a one hear stash.

plus no mention of a trade up option? Someone always falls unexpectedly.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This isn’t the draft for the latter.

Yes I wouldn’t hate Tillman at 30. He’s a contributor who probably won’t be a star but who can defend all over the court.

I’m really all in on a townes deal now.

Langford
Edwards
Big Swat Bob
Hayward
2022 first

Is probably what I got.

GS and okc can beat it. But will they.
You talking about Karl Anthony Towns?!? Minnesota isn’t trading him

the Q

Reaction Score
You talking about Karl Anthony Towns?!? Minnesota isn’t trading him

a lot of chatter he wants out.

would be fun.

It yeah I’m skeptical.

Reaction Score
a lot of chatter he wants out.

would be fun.

It yeah I’m skeptical.
25 year old big w/ 4 years left on his contract, doesn’t even have a opt out... respectfully the Celtics dont even remotely have the assets to pull it off, even if they included Brown

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
trader danny could drafted herro instead of langford and brandon clarke instead of grant williams. just sayin. the bench killed them.
Danny loves his 5’ nothing PGs and 6’6” centers too much

Reaction Score
"I wasn't there [in the bubble]," Ainge said Thursday during his end-of-season conference call following the Celtics' loss to the Miami Heat in the Eastern Conference finals. "I was watching from here, but I could see, even when he was here before the bubble started -- which is why he was shut down a little bit and doing strength training and trying to prepare himself for the playoff run and the intensity of the playoff run -- but he was definitely not himself.

"In fairness to Kemba, he doesn't want to say that. He doesn't say that to our coaches. He doesn't say that to you, the media. He doesn't say that to me. I haven't heard one excuse from him. But watching the games, even the games we won, even the games where he played well, I could tell he wasn't the same physically as he was in October, November, December. So we're going to try to get that Kemba back."

the Q

Reaction Score
Danny loves his 5’ nothing PGs and 6’6” centers too much

I could see him taking Tillman at 30 under the right circumstances. He can probably guard the more mobile centers. But needs to provide more spacing. His ceiling is probably a better version of Theis.

There will quite a few 6-1 Senior PGs available at the End of round 1 that trend very well analytically. Including Pritchard and Flynn. Celtics could use a better option at backup pg.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Giannis was considered to have the highest upside in that draft.

I loved Gobert. Elite defender who shot over 70% from the field against pros. Olunyk even being this good has been a shocker.

Giannis was a joke at the time, and people were laughing at the Bucks for burning a first round pick on him. The Hawks were the only other team even looking at him a little. Nobody could have predicted what Giannis became.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Celtics should dangle Tatum and see what they get. I think Tatum is a mediocre defender and not as good offensively as he thinks he is. He is young and has good stats, and the Celtics could convince someone to trade a star for him.

Reaction Score
Celtics should dangle Tatum and see what they get. I think Tatum is a mediocre defender and not as good offensively as he thinks he is. He is young and has good stats, and the Celtics could convince someone to trade a star for him.

That is absolutely not happening. GMs just a few weeks ago were polled and after Luka, Tatum was the player under 24 that they agreed is the best option to build a team around.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
That is absolutely not happening. GMs just a few weeks ago were polled and after Luka, Tatum was the player under 24 that they agreed is the best option to build a team around.

Like I said. The Celtics could get something really good in return.

Reaction Score
Like I said. The Celtics could get something really good in return.

You want them to sell the 2nd best young talent in the league for short-term success? I can understand that... but it ain't happening.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
The Celtics must trade Tatum to have a shot at winning while they still have Tatum and Brown. Got it.

Reaction Score
Gotta get some vets on that bench. Some guys who have been on championship teams.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Gotta get some vets on that bench. Some guys who have been on championship teams.
Iguadala would have been real nice. Instead we got the third best player on the late 2000s Pitt teams.

the Q

Reaction Score

i would take both luka and Zion for sure over Tatum.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom