Celebs both well known and obscure that you have more than just met | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Celebs both well known and obscure that you have more than just met

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The first famous person I met was Jessie Owens when I was 12 years old.

When I was in college, as a music major, I met and worked with Aaron Copeland.

Met Don Mattingly at an autograph sign with 2 of my 3 sons. Great guy.

My first job as a teacher was at Stamford Catholic High School. I got to meet NY Giant legend Andy Robustelli. One of his sons was in my chorus.

While teaching middle school band, I got to meet Moe Vaughn, Stephen Schwartz, Ira Joe Fischer (CBS weatherman) and Lou Albano.

Since retiring to Florida I've met Lenny Welch (lives in the community) and Peter Noone (Herman's Hermits).

Reaction Score
I was once backstage in a green room with Michael Jordan, Kid Rock and Danny Wheldon (2X Indy winner). Had a working relationship with each. Kid Rock is very funny. I had lunch with William Shatner (sat next to him), Barbara Eden and Alex Trebeck were at other tables, they were al being inducted on the California Broadcast HOF. I had several calls with Shatner after the lunch. My celebrity list is pretty long.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
John Perry Barlow. Smoked him up at Chris Frantz & Tina Weymouths house when my ex was their merch girl. Also cocktails with Karl Denson on the last night of Jam Cruise on multiple occassions. He's a Rolling Stone now. Do the Legions of Jerry count? Also Tracey Austin many moons ago at the house she used to stay at during the US Open in Sands Point NY. She was with Tracy Johnson the gymnist. Might have been some lilly licking going on....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In 1969 I was in a band and in playing clubs around we became friends with Elf. This was Ronnie James Dio's group. Our manager set up a tour for a week for us in NY. It was in Cortland NY, Ronnie's hometown, that found us playing in a bar on the night Neil Armstrong walked on the moon. The bar was set up like ant other with the room we played in on one side and the bar on the other. Talked with Ronnie about the landing before we went and he said I'll keep an eye on the TV for us. At that point Ronnie starts waving his arms when the walk on the moon was about to happen. The entire room spills into the bar side and watches the walk. Ronnie and I watched elbow to elbow at the bar. Ronnie was also a guest over my house for dinner with the group one night in Waterbury. He could not have been a nicer guy. RIP

Also ran into Redd Foxx in Vegas. My wife asked for his autograph in the Hilton lobby. He said the management does not like guests to stop entertainers, he says, "do you have some time?" We proceeded to find a table, sat down and talked for 30 minutes. Come to find out he was in Waterbury at one time and mentioned a few names and I knew who he was talking about. Believe it not he did not even say damn and entire time. Fun.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
I went to Herb Kenny basketball camp at Wesleyan in the mid 70s. One of my station coaches had a really long name that he knew no one could pronounce, so he went by Coach K.

I had a bad tendency to miss layups, which he picked up on after about 30 seconds. So for the next few days he had me show up early and do nothing but lay the ball in for like 15 minutes. It didn't help.

One year we had this super hyper coach show up who basically told us you do what you need to to win at any cost. Coach Kenny got the whole camp together the next day and essentially told us to ignore what Dickie V was preaching.

Another guest coach had me shoot corner jumpers in front of the entire camp to show what pressure could do. That was Jim Valvano. (Made the first, missed the rest)

On a side note, my team coach one year was Jack Phelan, who recently passed. He was an awesome guy.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
In 1969 I was in a band and in playing clubs around we became friends with Elf. This was Ronnie James Dio's group.

A couple months ago I mentioned having seen Elf in the early 70s at the Ezio Pinza amphitheater in Stamford. Nobody here ever heard of either the band nor the place. So at least you're proof there was a band, lol.

Reaction Score
Ketih Richards (been to his house for a party)
Bill Walton (used to feed me beers in Taper section at GD shows when he was with celtics. I also picked him up hitchhiking)
Kate Moss (in my apartment a couple times for parties)
Al Franken (another multiple time GD show hangout)
GG Allin (crazy man was with him the week he died)
Allen Ginsberg (we frequented the same Alphabet city coffee shop. Leshko's if that means anything) anyway he liked to chat especially to young men ;-)
Have to know more details about your GG Allin encounter

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score
Met Ben Folds at a personal concert in a buddies backyard. He stuck around after the show to do a meet and greet. Friendly guy

Reaction Score
I had a 45 minute audience with Justice Sandra Day O'Connor in a library at the Supreme Court. Until that day, I thought I was really smart. 40 minutes with her......I realized I wasn't special at all.

I got a hug from Janet Jackson in her dressing room at the Civic Center. Only spent 10 minutes there, but she is really, really nice. She is also really short.

I also had conversations with Dr. Cornel West on two occassions and Dick Gregory on another (damn he was funny).

I had a couple drinks with Chris Berman, Tom Jackson, and Cris Carter (he did not drink).

Reaction Score
Met Harrison Ford at a bar in Fort Worth, TX many years ago with some co-workers. Was not a nice guy and didn’t want to be bothered.

Reaction Score
I spent a day with Bud Grant at his lake house in Wisconsin. Enjoyed some burgers,fries and shakes with him,his wife, his son and my uncle. I even took a shower at his house after spending time in the lake.

He is most notable as a HOF coach but he was also a great athlete. He played pro football along with being a professional NBA player for the Minneapolis Lakers. He told a lot of stories and when I asked him who his best all around player was he said it was Paul Krause. I remember him being a great DB who made the HOF.
Bud was/is a real nice guy.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Several years ago my boss and I were joined by two Hartford Whalers for a round of golf at Minnechsug CC in Glastonbury (still 18 holes back then). One was Russ Anderson who was one of the key defensemen and the other Bob Sullivan, a minor league scoring phenom who never quite translated to the NHL. Sullivan , a lefty, was friendlier, but Anderson was okay, and a top shelf golfer. Probably pro level if he’d chosen golf. He also spit through his teeth a lot like Reggie Jackson used to. We had a beer with them after the round.

Spent several minutes talking to Walter Mondale when he was V.P. elect. It was at my wife’s cousin’s Bar Mitzvah in DC. Mondale was a close friend of my wife’s uncle, who was a top member of the DC press corps. Nice guy and obviously not in a political setting. I can truly say that I’ve slept in the same bed as Mondale, but not at the same time.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Played foosball with Cliff Robinson at Ted's a few times. Actually, me and a friend against him and Jeff King.

A dorm mate invited Otis Day and the Knights to our dorm in Crawford after their show, and they showed up and partied with us for a couple of hours.

Met and talked with Howie Carr, a well known Boston area radio guy, and also Sen. Scott Brown back when he was running for Senate. A local Southie politician, my then neighbor Brian Wallace wrote this book. DeNiro evidently wanted to make it a movie.

My wife has a long list of musicians.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Nearly every top pro tennis player, 1990 to 2000. nearly every NBA player who player in the hof tip-off classic between '81 and '84.

I actually forgot my days working the Simsbury senior tennis tournament. Stan Smith, The Gulickson brothers and others.

Reaction Score
I went to Herb Kenny basketball camp at Wesleyan in the mid 70s. One of my station coaches had a really long name that he knew no one could pronounce, so he went by Coach K.

I had a bad tendency to miss layups, which he picked up on after about 30 seconds. So for the next few days he had me show up early and do nothing but lay the ball in for like 15 minutes. It didn't help.

One year we had this super hyper coach show up who basically told us you do what you need to to win at any cost. Coach Kenny got the whole camp together the next day and essentially told us to ignore what Dickie V was preaching.

Another guest coach had me shoot corner jumpers in front of the entire camp to show what pressure could do. That was Jim Valvano. (Made the first, missed the rest)

On a side note, my team coach one year was Jack Phelan, who recently passed. He was an awesome guy.

Went to Mr Kenny's camp a couple years in the early 70's they were fun camps, staying over and making new friends from all over. Jim Aiken was my coach he played for Herb years prior we got along great, helped me win an MVP. I also played high school with Mr Kenny's kids, Herb Jr and Patrick with Jr one a year older the other a year behind. Mr Kenny still alive and doing well, I still stay in touch with Herb and Patrick was at my wedding good friends. Those were the days.

Reaction Score
I've spent time hosting a lot of literary people, and I have some close friendships still with a few of them. I've spent the entire day with people like Salman Rushdie. I still do this occasionally, and it means inevitably driving up to Niagara Falls or seeing a Frank Lloyd Wright House with them, occasionally roughing it down at the old grain silos on the waterfront.

Non literary, I carried cooked spaghetti & tomato sauce (3 occasions) into the trunk of Jennifer Beals car (don't ask, don't know why) when I worked at Clark's and she was a student at Yale. Some famous people have passed through my Dad's restaurant in New Haven, and I've talked to them at length (Andre the Giant -- more a grumble than a talk, really, but when he asked me what I was doing in college and I told him reading fiction, he said that Samuel Beckett was his chauffeur when he was a child!). Unbelievable. JFK Jr. had also been in my Dad's place numerous times, but always just for coffee and maybe a danish (later at Boston U., I knew his future wife).

My housemate sophomore year at Boston U. was an Islanders top draft pick, and his best friend played for the Edmonton Oilers. Woke up one night at 3 am to hear commotion downstairs, and I walk into the kitchen to see Esa Tikkanen and Grant Fuhr taking part in all sorts of illegal substances.

And finally, I worked down in DC for ProServ, a big sports agency at the time, competitor to IMG and eventually bought up by IMG. So, I met a lot of big time athletes as part of my work as an assistant to an agent. I put together a marketing video for Michael Jordan (his agent David Falk was part of the firm) and also Yannick Noah and others, but really my relationship was always just professional, tried not to bother them at all, just small banter.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Whenever Joe Namath is in town he has dinner with the family.

Is he still running the football camp at Quinnipiac? He used to harass my younger brother there for his fandom.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Forgot one. I got the chance, through a co-worker/friend, to meet John Bush, former lead singer of Anthrax, in his hotel room when they played the Webster many years ago. Met his wife as well who was very pregnant with I think their first kid. Also got to go backstage and meet the band. I have a pic with Scott Ian, me rocking a very metal Homer Simpson shirt. I am what I am.

Reaction Score
The "Greyhound", Walter Davis. Walter was coaching private basketball lessons for youngsters at the health and tennis club to which I belong to here in Denver. Having been a BIG fan of his when he was both at UNC and then w/the Phx Suns, I signed my son up for coaching lessons when he was in grammar school. Over the next few years I became personal friends with him, playing golf and having him over to our house for dinners. He is one of the nicest guys I have ever met, and I am honored to have him as a personal friend!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom