CD Post-Game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

CD Post-Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Lots of great discussion in this thread. It was absolutely frustrating to have the final 18 seconds play out like that. I cannot get too upset, because the slightly better team won by a whisker.

Reaction Score
How ironic that when UConn is actually trying to foul Diggins and actually touches her, no call.

For Stewie's bad hands, she made an incredible catch on that pass. CD thought she could have still taken a shot; of course, who knew it would be the only opportunity for a shot in that possession.

Once it was clear Kelly had no place to go with the ball she needed to back it out or a timeout needed to be called. It was a lack of composure.

I want another shot at ND. 2011 redux.
The only way a ref will call a foul in the final seconds of a game is if you whack a player in the back of the head with a sledge hammer. And even then, the ref will think about it before calling it. Timeout is what was needed.

Reaction Score
Well here is my 2¢. It was a heartbreaking loss last night. ND won by 2 points to a UCONN team that hit no 3's and played a first half that can be characterized as not their best. However, this is not the end of the road. We WILL see both ND and Baylor again. Those will be the 2 games we will need to win and honestly I think this team can do it. Call it revenge but I think these losses to ND and the loss to Baylor will be the motivation to do what it takes to win UCONN's next WBB National Championship.

Reaction Score
Seems to me that fans are all over the place. Bria makes bad decisions but a play to get the ball directly to Stewart with the opportunity to score was a bad play. So, where do you go with the ball? To the point guard who makes bad decisions and over penetrates? It's not like Geno can put the ball in the hands of a trusted guard who he knows can make the right play. Even Kelly plays with her hair on fire in pressure situations, e.g., her play with the ball on the last possession. Guard play/ball handling has been an issue all season and it reared its ugly head again last night.
In that situation with timeouts left and the ball there were many options without going for a homerun. There was no need to give ND the ball back.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
In that situation with timeouts left and the ball there were many options without going for a homerun. There was no need to give ND the ball back.
This is the crux. Our team continues to make bad decisions in the last seconds of these games. There were 3 winnable games against ND.

Reaction Score
They play hard and give great effortand for that I am proud to be a huge fan of uconn. Losses hurt and it's easy to single out what we coulda shoulda done, but in the final analysis, no one is more upset that the young women who left it out there on the floor.

Reaction Score
Too much time left for that play. If he really wanted to run that, then wait until 10 seconds and call another timeout.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
? It did.

I think the poster might be referring to when Kelly's shot off the front of the rim did not trigger a new shot clock/turning the shot clock off, which led to the stoppage in play and the subsequent inbouding.

Wally East

Reaction Score
Yes I got that. I thought the clock did reset?
The announcers were very confused and said several different things, but ultimately came around to "shot clock is off."

I apologize but I'm not quite sure what you mean then.

Wally East

Reaction Score
I thought the shotclock did reset. Who said it didnt?

I think Joobie was saying that none of this would've happened if the shot clock was reset properly during the course of play and didn't require play stopping.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I thought the shotclock did reset. Who said it didnt?
The whole reason for the stoppage of play was that the shot clock did not reset when Kelly hit the front of the rim and we rebounded the ball at 24.3 on the game clock and 17 on the shot clock. Once it was stopped Geno then used a TO. The officials then waved off the shot clock but never restored the game clock to 24.3 from the 18.4 where it was stopped.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
The only way a ref will call a foul in the final seconds of a game is if you whack a player in the back of the head with a sledge hammer. And even then, the ref will think about it before calling it. Timeout is what was needed.
This is precisely what is wrong with a large number of sports. The whole "you don't want the refs deciding the game" thing drives me nuts. And the players know it.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The whole reason for the stoppage of play was that the shot clock did not reset when Kelly hit the front of the rim and we rebounded the ball at 24.3 on the game clock and 17 on the shot clock. Once it was stopped Geno then used a TO. The officials then waved off the shot clock but never restored the game clock to 24.3 from the 18.4 where ir was stopped.

That's an interesting question. The game clock showed 18.4 when the referees stopped play to address the shot clock situation. When after a stoppage of play it's determined that the shot clock should have been reset (and in this case turned off), do the officials put time back on the game clock to when the shot clock should have reset or just leave game clock as is when play was stopped? My read of the rules say that only the shot clock can be adjusted and no time is put back on the game clock.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
That's an interesting question. The game clock showed 18.4 when the referees stopped play to address the shot clock situation. When after a stoppage of play it's determined that the shot clock should have been reset (and in this case turned off), do the officials put time back on the game clock to when the shot clock should have reset or just leave game clock as is when play was stopped? My read of the rules say that only the shot clock can be adjusted and no time is put back on the game clock.
Unless it is Rutgers against TN.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Disappointed in first half; didn't guard, didn't run offense. Played tentatively. She thought they outplayed ND for much of second half.

After the steal on the final play, with a foul to give UConn fouled Diggins three times down the court and it wasn't called.

On the final play, the play was for Stewie on the lob. They've been working on the play and thought they had a mis-match. CD thought Stewie could've shot the ball. On not calling a timeout, after first mentioning the difficulty they might have had in-bounding the ball CD suggested at the end of the interview that it might've been a mistake. [My thoughts: in-bounding the ball in the corner would have been very difficult. Maybe call the TO when Kelly still had the ball before it went to KML in the corner.]

Heartbreaking for the kids. Tough loss.

Bria and Kelly want to win so badly sometimes go too fast and try to make difficult plays/passes.

ND has three of top guards in the country better than our guards at certain things. McBride player of the year in the conference.
Interesting that she thinks that McBride is the BE POY.

Did we ever see what the vote was on that?

This is total crap! We foul Skylar three times, and none is called. For three years, she's been getting dozens of calls when there is no contact or when she should be called for one. Total ND bullish!t.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
I had no problem with a few more second running off. .. but the clock stops at 20.3 and then starts again. The officials blew the whistle with over 20.5 seconds left but the clock continued to run. That was the time I thought should have been added back.

Reaction Score
Interesting that she thinks that McBride is the BE POY.

Did we ever see what the vote was on that?

This is total crap! We foul Skylar three times, and none is called. For three years, she's been getting dozens of calls when there is no contact or when she should be called for one. Total ND bullish!t.

MILFORD: Tell it, Dude!!! You sound like a clone! Last night was the first time I ever swore out loud in a sports venue, and I used the same terms pertaining to the exact same issue. When things were getting read hot and we were mounting one of our comebacks and the refs FINALLY called a charge on Diggins, I opined from the rafters: "It's about time you made the right call on her ref! We been putting up with that crap for four years. Enough of that _ _ _ _. CALL the charges on that princess." Ummmm, well maybe it wasn't exactly princess. But the rest is verbatim. And here's good old Milford, chapter and verse. Stay well.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I had no problem with a few more second running off. .. but the clock stops at 20.3 and then starts again. The officials blew the whistle with over 20.5 seconds left but the clock continued to run. That was the time I thought should have been added back.
Yes, that was the minimum that should have been restored.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Among the silliest things ever to be whining about.
Agreed. But it is something that the officials need to get right.

The worst thing about it is the officials' disrupting the game and stopping play at a moment that is potentially the greatest risk for a defender when a rebound occurs and defensive organization is disrupted and the offense has an opportunity to exploit that moment. Stopping play allows the defense to regather itself and removes the opportunity to attack the disrupted defense and attacking the basket score or get fouled.

Reaction Score
I can't bring myself to watch the end again but a poster on the mens board all but called CD a liar and was positive that UConn made no effort to foul Diggins. I can't bring myself to watch the end again. Is this true? This sort of confusion is a pretty good example of why these close games always go against us.
Well it wouldn't be the first time that a men's fan was 1) wrong, and 2) an ass.

I didn't need to hear CD say they tried to foul, I saw it in real time.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
Just to clarify...when Kelly threw the ball up & it hit the front of the rim, the shot clock SHOULD have recycled. If that had happened, as it was SUPPOSE to, there would have been no stoppage of play & no need for UCONN to inbound the ball. The whole sequence of events totally disrupted any kind of offensive flow & all the stuff that happened after that may have been completely different. The refs disrupted the space/time continuum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom