CD hitting the links at the Travelers Championship | The Boneyard

CD hitting the links at the Travelers Championship

Reaction Score
Always a popular stop on the PGA Tour. Must see TV or live stream !!!!!!

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I was there today and it was a fun day. The crowds were not large, although I was marshalling at the thirteenth hole - a par five on the outskirts of the course - which is usually not crowded. I will be there Thursday and Friday as well.

Hockey coach Cavanaugh came within an inch or two of making an eagle on Thirteen, on an iron from about 120 yards. Like many with a hockey background, he can play.

Others with a UConn connection besides CD and Cavanaugh were Edsall, Orlovsky, and Nancy Stevens. No Jim Calhoun.

There is a bunker on Thirteen about 30 yards from the hole. In one group, an amateur holed out for birdie from that bunker. About six groups later, another amateur holed out for eagle from that same bunker, practically the same spot! The odds of that are astronomical. Some of the amateur players are excellent players, others are, shall we say, giving it their best shot. I almost got clocked on a wayward shot on Twelve that ended up on the tee box at Thirteen.

The biggest crowds were following Chris Berman/Doug Flutie/Tim Wakefield, Dustin Johnson, and the big bomber, Bryson DeChambeau. I was sort of hoping that some of the UConn women hoopsters might be out there supporting CD, but since they would have had to pay to get in I can see why that did not happen. They are usually at an event Geno sponsors at the Hartford Golf Club around this time of year so maybe that will happen this year.

It is interesting to observe the dynamic between the pros and the amateur players. Some are engaged, talkative, personable and part of the group. Others seem to be kind of distant, introspective, and only interested in their own game and getting ready for the tournament. Some are kind of in between. It is also interesting watching them swing. Fundamentally, they are all very similar. They are compact, solid setup, head still and virtually no lateral motion - they could swing in a phone booth if they could find one - no overswinging and finishing solidly on the front side.

If you live in the Hartford area, can afford the time, and have even a modest interest in golf, I would encourage you to consider volunteering for this event next year. It is an eleven hour day but it is fun, not very hard, yet volunteers are necessary for the tournament to work.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg
Top Bottom