CBS WNBA Mock Draft | The Boneyard

CBS WNBA Mock Draft

Reaction Score
Kelsey Plum would be my #1. She reminds me a lot of DT. Further, if Saniya continues to perform at the level at which she has been performing, I think she'll go at the bottom of round 1; otherwise, round 2 or 3.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Will be hard to not take Kelsey Plum as the 1st overall pick. I'd probably go with Diamond as well, if I was satisfied if she would fit in with her new teammates.

Is Chantel Osahor the 9th best player for Chicago Skye to pick. She has great College Stats, but will her style of play fit the uptempo WNBA game?

Reaction Score
Kelsey Plum would be my #1. She reminds me a lot of DT. Further, if Saniya continues to perform at the level at which she has been performing, I think she'll go at the bottom of round 1; otherwise, round 2 or 3.

Plus as Geno says WBB is entertainment first, and Plum is very entertaining.

Reaction Score
Will be hard to not take Kelsey Plum as the 1st overall pick. I'd probably go with Diamond as well, if I was satisfied if she would fit in with her new teammates.

Is Chantel Osahor the 9th best player for Chicago Skye to pick. She has great College Stats, but will her style of play fit the uptempo WNBA game?
I was wondering about this as well. Courtney Paris was great in college but she has only been average in the WNBA and she's a better player than Osahor.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Ruth Riley has added some depth at center for San Antonio. To some degree, this pick screams "forward" but maybe you move K-Mac up wing so you can have MoJeff direct traffic and have her run with Kelsey Plum. At the very least, you'd have one of the more exciting, up and down backcourts/wing around and putting fannies in seats isn't such a bad thing. Sure Plum and MoJeff would get along just fine. I know Orangutan is hoping Plum falls to the Sky, but I can't see making DeShields a #1. Too much Muffet in Ruth and MM would show DeShields the door often and quickly.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I was wondering about this as well. Courtney Paris was great in college but she has only been average in the WNBA and she's a better player than Osahor.

Yep, my thoughts as well. Paris was not mobile enough for the pros.

Reaction Score
2017 WNBA Mock Draft: Dallas Wings look to build quickly with three top-10 picks

Diamond Deshields is #1, Kelsey Mitchell is #4 (will be interesting if she goes to the WNBA with the NCAA scoring record in her sights).

Were I a WNBA GM, I would not take a chance on a DD. Look at all the other choices out there. Why fret about what DD would show up on a particular night? Why worry whether she would fit in with the other hard-working and accomplished pros on the roster? I'd bet that a Geno Auriemma would not bother.

Too bad she didn't go to UConn. I'd bet that Coach Geno would have molded her ego into a team context within a few days.

Reaction Score
I've listened to interviews with Plum and Deshields and I can't even imagine why anyone would want Deshields over Plum. Everything she says is I, I, I. Very rarely are her teammates even mentioned. Plum is almost the complete opposite, giving her teammates and coaches as much love as possible. And, Deshields hasn't produced up to her potential... or maybe she has. A little flash here and there doesn't mean squat to me, I like to see substance. Heck, even I can make a great pass once in a while, especially if I'm not worried about turning the ball over 5 or 6 times. I'm done.

I guess I'm not. When asked, she has stated she was the best WBB player to come out of Georgia, even after being reminded Maya Moore came from Georgia. Confidence is one thing, but being a little humble can go a long way..... especially when you are not producing. OK, now I'm done.

Reaction Score
Another vote for San Antonio taking Plum first. DeShields CAN be very good, but too inconsistent. She has stated that she wants to be the first pick, so she probably comes out this year, as Aja Wilson, barring unforeseen circumstances, will almost certainly be the first pick next year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
DD is a career .400 shooter and a career .300 shooter from 3 point land - those kinds of percentages remind me of NFL draft and evaluating QB accuracy - they say as you go to the pros, the percentages are not going to increase and like will fall. She is exciting and dynamic when she wants to be, and she would scare the beejesus out of me as a GM or HC in the W. Probably around the middle of the first round the talent becomes impossible to pass on, but no way am I using the #1 pick on her. I would take Mitchell ahead of her in a heart beat.

Reaction Score
Every mock draft that I've seen includes Kelsey Mitchell. I find that to be very presumptuous. I've watched almost all of Ohio State's games and have yet to hear anyone (commentators, coaches, teammates, or Mitchell herself) mention that she's planning on leaving. I just can't imagine her doing so. Not only should Ohio State be a better team next season, there's an outside chance that Mitchell might be chasing Plum for the career scoring title. I'm pretty sure she returns for her senior year.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Money, honey. Between WNBA and overseas, it would cost her up in six figures to stay. What price glory?

Reaction Score
Plus as Geno says WBB is entertainment first, and Plum is very entertaining.

There was another celebrated prolific scorer in last year's draft and she was selected #4. She also only played 10 minutes per game in the WNBA before she got hurt. Entertainment is fine but I don't think coaches and GM's are making that the top priority over winning.

Reaction Score
I think Osahor is more valuable than Paris was, specifically because of better mobility and a very good outside shot and excellent passing ability.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I don't think Diamond would have lasted under Geno's system. Diamond would have been in Geno's Dog House constantly unless he got her to change in her Freshmen Year. Could you see Diamond accepting she had to come off the bench as a Freshmen? Don't think so.

Were I a WNBA GM, I would not take a chance on a DD. Look at all the other choices out there. Why fret about what DD would show up on a particular night? Why worry whether she would fit in with the other hard-working and accomplished pros on the roster? I'd bet that a Geno Auriemma would not bother.

Too bad she didn't go to UConn. I'd bet that Coach Geno would have molded her ego into a team context within a few days.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
From all accounts I've heard, Kelsey Mitchell is coming out. She is set to graduate during the summer session and that's the word I've gotten on the street ;)

Reaction Score
I hope Diamond stays another year.
wow. careful what you wish for. I think I'd rather her get out of town and let your talented freshmen class get more playing time, make its mistakes and grow-up together. I've been liking DD's play more likely, but I don't think she's yet fully trustworthy emotionally. She could end up being discontented and having a negative effect on your new players. You're not going to win the NC with a bunch of freshmen, even if Holly suddenly turned into a great coach. But DD's presence could hurt them. She's better off playing her type of game at the pro level, and Tenn is better off building from nearly scratch, I think.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I'll be surprised if Deshields or Mitchell stick around another year.

I'd take Plum 1, Mitchell 2. Deshields' style of play will suit her well in the pros but she hasn't shown the ability to assimilate in an offense. Plus the prospect of having Plum/Jefferson or Mitchell/Jefferson is a deadly combo.

People say Mitchell takes too many shots, but her percentages are solid, especially considering the difficulty of her shots and the volume she takes. She also is a very good passer and can definitely become a more passing oriented SG in the pros. She's a great scorer but has never seemed like a "me me me" type of player.

Reaction Score
I agree with bballnut-- 1st pick Plum 2nd pick Mitchell.
And I agree with most on the board that no way take DD 1st. Way too much risk for a top 1/2 pick.
And no way Cates over Mitchell.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think that Diamond is way too risky at #1. She could be the most athletic player in the league and the 80th best player. Any GM would be rolling the dice with her. Ruth Riley is smart. I don't see her picking Diamond.

If Alexis Jones drops to #8, both Triad and I will swear off donuts. She's clearly top 5 and possibly the best guard in the draft.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I think that Diamond is way too risky at #1. She could be the most athletic player in the league and the 80th best player. Any GM would be rolling the dice with her. Ruth Riley is smart. I don't see her picking Diamond.

If Alexis Jones drops to #8, both Triad and I will swear off donuts. She's clearly top 5 and possibly the best guard in the draft.

Whoa-wait-a-minute-wait-a-minute-meme-7019.jpg

Can't say I can cosign with that

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom