CBS Sports Top 30 Point Guards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Shabazz #14

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/15764624

14. Shabazz Napier (Connecticut)
1779844.jpg

He's not as good as Kemba Walker, but he will be a better point guard than Walker ever was for Connecticut. And as UConn's season turned toward its magical run last season, Napier was given the ball a lot more frequently. Only a sophomore, he's already considered the leader of a team that's got Final Four demands on its hands. On a squad that's filled with length and lottery picks, Napier's play is paramount.

Reaction Score
I think many writers are undervaluing Siva, especially by putting these freshman ahead of him. I think he's top 5.

Pretty good recognition for SN.

Reaction Score
I'd have Scoop lower and Siva higher for sure.

Reaction Score
I think a couple of the PGs ahead of him are "one and done" NBA types- outside of the kids that really did not need to play college ball he is right there at the top.

Reaction Score
For my money, Gibbs the best PG in the Big East (despite really not being a pure point guard) and Siva is #2. Maybe he just played really well against Uconn last year, but I've been surprised at the relative lack of respect he's been getting in the preseason.

Reaction Score
read the ashton gibbs summary... nice Kemba reference there...

Reaction Score
My two biggest issues with this list are joe jackson and siva.

I don't think jackson should be on any list of top point guards. You could make a strong argument that he makes his team worse, not better.

And siva has been way underrated in every list I've seen thus far. I think he's gunna be a beast this year.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
read the ashton gibbs summary... nice Kemba reference there...
Funny statement for sure.

Gibbs is good enough to withstand the talent departure Pittsburgh will deal with this year. (The Panthers lose Brad Wanamaker, Gilbert Brown and Gary McGhee, last seen with his ankles detached from his body in Madison Square Garden .) Gibbs is especially valuable because he scores almost 1.3 points per trip.

Reaction Score
Pretty terrible job by CBS there.

1. Gibbs isn't a PG. Not sure why so many people continue to insist otherwise, but he's as pure a SG as there is.
2. Why is Scoop Jardine ranked higher than Wayns and Siva? Yikes.
3. Josiah Turner getting ranked #8 before he plays a collegiate game is absurd.
4. It continues to amaze me how much more hype there is for Kendall Marshall (#3) and Aaron Craft (#5) than Shabazz...even though Shabazz is close to as good as the former and better than the latter.

I don't take these lists very seriously (no one should), but CBS has done especially bad job this year.

Reaction Score
[quote="I'm pretty confident Kemba deserved to be a little higher than 11, or maybe i'm crazy?[/quote]

Actually Kemba was a surprise and having such youth around him 11th pre-season was not unreasonable (outsider thinking).

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
2. Why is Scoop Jardine ranked higher than Wayns and Siva? Yikes.

siva maybe, but wayns really? looking at their careers scoop seems ahead of wayns. the lack of presence of fisher and/or reynolds may hurt or help wayns numbers, which aint that good.

Reaction Score
siva maybe, but wayns really? looking at their careers scoop seems ahead of wayns. the lack of presence of fisher and/or reynolds may hurt or help wayns numbers, which aint that good.

I'm having trouble copying the stats here, but I had thought the same thing about Wayns. Then I looked at his stats and they were every bit as good as both Siva and Jardine.

I don't think stats mean that much, but he had a pretty good year (silently).

Reaction Score
Siva very underrated on this list. He is easily the fastest player on that list. There is so little difference between the PG's on the upper end of the list it's immaterial. No one jumps out suggesting they are that much better than the next guy. IMHO, I think Shabazz has the kind of upside to be top 5 by the end of the season. As a talented pass first PG with the kind of talent he'll have around him, it will be hard not to.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Obviously you can't take these lists too seriously, just look at these rankings last year..

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...ntcombo-guards-pullen-and-his-beard-rank-no-1

I'm pretty confident Kemba deserved to be a little higher than 11, or maybe i'm crazy?

Check out Parrish's BE rankings last year:

10. Connecticut
The Huskies lost three of their top four scorers (Jerome Dyson, Stanley Robinson and Gavin Edwards) and one of their more intriguing talents (Ater Majok) from last season's team, so any optimism you hear about UConn is based more on the program's reputation than roster. I love Kemba Walker and the potential of sophomore Alex Oriakhi and freshman Roscoe Smith. But this is not a typical UConn team in terms of talent, and the Huskies seem likely to miss the NCAA tournament for the second year in a row.
NCAA tournament? No

BAHAHAA

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Siva very underrated on this list. He is easily the fastest player on that list. There is so little difference between the PG's on the upper end of the list it's immaterial. No one jumps out suggesting they are that much better than the next guy. IMHO, I think Shabazz has the kind of upside to be top 5 by the end of the season. As a talented pass first PG with the kind of talent he'll have around him, it will be hard not to.

I agree.

The play this season will be different than last season. Last season it was get the ball to Kemba and let Kemba create the play. JC didn't want Shabazz to force the situation last season and take a play out of Kemba's hands. You could see Shabazz looking for an open player other than Kemba, but he passed up getting the ball to other players at times. And this impacted his assist numbers. This season will be different. JC will want a greater distribution in the shots taken and that will demonstrate Shabazz's passing skills. And as you point out the team has a lot of talent supporting him.

Reaction Score
I'm having trouble copying the stats here, but I had thought the same thing about Wayns. Then I looked at his stats and they were every bit as good as both Siva and Jardine.

I don't think stats mean that much, but he had a pretty good year (silently).
i agree with you, i like wayns alot and think he will probably be better than fisher or reynolds, realistically. i'm just not sure if i would put him ahead of scoop right now, but honestly we are splitting hairs.

Reaction Score

Siva should be the BE's top rated PG from the games I saw - solid and creative. Wayns 2nd and Scoop and Bazz right in the hunt. Gibbs is a 2G but is relied on to handle once in a while. the kid can flat out score. Just don't see him a pure PG though so this is incorrect as far as I see it.

Reaction Score
i agree with you, i like wayns alot and think he will probably be better than fisher or reynolds, realistically. i'm just not sure if i would put him ahead of scoop right now, but honestly we are splitting hairs.
Uh, I would easily put him ahead of Scoop right now - he put up essentially equal numbers despite being almost three years younger.

Scoop should slot in at #3 in the Big East, behind Siva and Wayns and slightly ahead of Shabazz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom