CBS Sports on why it is good UConn did not join Big 12 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

CBS Sports on why it is good UConn did not join Big 12

Reaction Score
An outsider can easily state that UConn is in a great position. As a UConn fan, I am concerned with lower revenue coming in and less exposure compared to peer institutions.
If we are not in a power conference, we are screwed revenue wise to compete with other programs unless the state and the school will foot the increasing bill forever. If we are unable to attract top talent and coaches, we won't win. When we don't win, fans lose interest.

It is as simple as that.

Reaction Score
If we are not in a power conference, we are screwed revenue wise to compete with other programs unless the state and the school will foot the increasing bill forever. If we are unable to attract top talent and coaches, we won't win. When we don't win, fans lose interest.

It is as simple as that.
I 100% agree with you. But look at Rutgers who is $70m in the hole every year and they have B10 money. With that said, the #1 most important thing is financial security, which we do not have currently.

Reaction Score
First of all BB likes being the Big man on campus. At most P5 schools its 2nd fiddle to FB. They don't want to give up/share the glory. It's called jealousy. Second of all it's the fake Big East. If it so great why did Miami-Syracuse-BC-Rutgers- Pitt- West Virginia-ND-Louisville all leave ? Who in America aspires to play with a gang of small private catholic schools ? Take a look at what happened to the Ivy league. When realignment is done the next target is the BB $. The power schools will demand the larger share of the TV + tournament money. Do you think t they want to share it with 350 D1 schools? They will cut out the non football + then the non P5 schools out of the mix. IF your not in , then you will be left behind.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Why does every writer insist that UConn stay in its own lane, while promoting every other school to a Power 5 Conference?

"UConn has self-appointed Storrs, Connecticut, as the "Basketball Capital of the World."

Please, someone who is on Twitter correct him on this. WE didn't say this about ourselves; Jay Bilas said that UConn was "the Basketball Capital of the World".
I just read it and it says that we "ran with the title bestowed upon (us)." Maybe he made an edit.

Remember, UConn went hat-in-hand to the Big East more than four years ago and pleaded to be allowed back into a league it abandoned in 2013 on account of letting football drive the bus.

Hat and hand? Pleaded?

Reaction Score
I know Miami doesn't have one, shoot they don't even have their own stadium which is why their attendance numbers stink, no school
In the northeast besides penn st can say they have a better athletic facility, even Pitt home games are still at Heinz Field the Steelers stadium
1692297113848.png

Miami does have one but it's not 100 yards

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
It has been non-stop hit pieces on our football program based on misinformation.

We have great facilities yet many in national media keep insisting that we don't.

Our football program's W-L records isn't worse than teams like Colorado and Arizona, but we are the one who kept getting bashed by the national media while those teams get a free pass.

We have a massive perception problem thanks to planned negative media campaigns against us.

The sports media is like the mainstream media where most writers in the USA who don't do much research other than regurgitating same opinions without any factv checking.

UConn athletic department really needs to be on the offense and showcase our football facilities etc nationality. Of course, nothing beats winning. If we just win consistently against good teams, they will have no choice but notice us.
I agree on the winning part but you also stated why it won't matter. Colorado and Arizona have had as bad of records as us. Colorado has been as god awful as us but have been seen as a great catch. They've won jack in any sport. Yet we keep winning national championships and if we keep winning at football, will it matter? I'm not sure anymore.....

Reaction Score
The facilities are as good as any in the Northeast outside of Penn St. Yes better than BC, Syracuse, and Jersey Shore.

Some writers are just ignorant
I've been behind the scenes at Penn State (and other Big10 schools) and UConn, and as stated in my earlier post, UConn's are as good as theirs except for Beaver Stadium. Definitely better than any New England, NY or NJ schools.

Reaction Score
Someone from the school or here should get that Deestroying guy or the Sports Dissected by COISKI youtube dudes to the school. They tour all the facilities or act as a recruit for the day and get millions of views. They have been to UMass for hockey and UTSA for football, so no reason why they would not come to UConn. If I knew how to reach out to them I would, but I am an old man when it comes to social media.

Reaction Score
I know Miami doesn't have one, shoot they don't even have their own stadium which is why their attendance numbers stink, no school
In the northeast besides penn st can say they have a better athletic facility, even Pitt home games are still at Heinz Field the Steelers stadium
Miami is about to build the most absurd college stadium or any stadium I have ever seen and right next to campus.
5PNGURXRYJG7HECSXZUSZVA4ZE.jpeg

Reaction Score
I agree on the winning part but you also stated why it won't matter. Colorado and Arizona have had as bad of records as us. Colorado has been as god awful as us but have been seen as a great catch. They've won jack in any sport. Yet we keep winning national championships and if we keep winning at football, will it matter? I'm not sure anymore.....
This is my thought too. I just don’t see what else we can do to be more attractive. If national championships and bowl games aren’t enough, what is?

I guess the argument could be that we need to show consistency in football but it really just seems like we’ve had the door shut on us by every major conference repeatedly.

Reaction Score
I just read it and it says that we "ran with the title bestowed upon (us)." Maybe he made an edit.

Remember, UConn went hat-in-hand to the Big East more than four years ago and pleaded to be allowed back into a league it abandoned in 2013 on account of letting football drive the bus.

Hat and hand? Pleaded?
Yes, he corrected the part about "Basketball Capital of the World".

Someone replied to Norlander's twitter account and included a video of a documentary narrated by Bilas. But I think Bilas first said it on TV right after we won a championship.

Also, people corrected him about the Big East.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is my thought too. I just don’t see what else we can do to be more attractive. If national championships and bowl games aren’t enough, what is?

I guess the argument could be that we need to show consistency in football but it really just seems like we’ve had the door shut on us by every major conference repeatedly.
Bill Connelly just published his SP+ preseason college fb rankings for this season, has us at 125 out of 133 (UMass is last). I think many here don’t understand how UConn fb is perceived nationally. Really as one of the worst programs around with no history or tradition in fb. It would take decades to reverse this. I mean many of these same asshats argue about whether our bb program is elite and whether we are a “blue blood” and that’s
5 nattys in!

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Bill Connelly just published his SP+ preseason college fb rankings for this season, has us at 125 out of 133 (UMass is last). I think many here don’t understand how UConn fb is perceived nationally. Really as one of the worst programs around with no history or tradition in fb. It would take decades to reverse this. I mean many of these same asshats argue about whether our bb program is elite and whether we are a “blue blood” and that’s
5 nattys in!

Err, Bill Connelly's rankings have nothing whatsoever to do with perception?

You join @Waquoit in "hating" KenPom, I guess.

SP+
SP+, originally called S&P+ for Success rate & equivalent Points per play, was created by Bill Connelly in 2005. SP+ uses play-by-play data to evaluate teams on five factors that Connelly identified as being highly correlated with winning: efficiency, explosiveness, field position, finishing drives, and turnovers. The overall SP+ rating is a weighted average of the five factors.

Efficiency is based on a team’s success rate, which measures how well a team gains the yards they need for a first down or touchdown. On first downs, a “successful” play is one that earns at least 50% of the needed yards. On second downs, a successful play earns 70% of the needed yards. On third and fourth downs, a successful play earns 100% of the needed yards.

Explosiveness is based on a team’s equivalent points per play (PPP). PPP is the yards earned per play converted to expected points from those yards. Field position is just the average field position margin between teams, finishing drives are the percent of trips inside the 40 yard line that yield points, and turnovers are...turnovers.

SP+ uses historical performance, recruiting, and returning production to generate pre-season ratings. These factors are gradually phased out of the SP+ formula as the season progresses.

SP+ is reported as expected points per game against an average opponents on a neutral field. Baylor’s 2021 team ended the season with an SP+ rating of 15.6 (15th in the country), so SP+ predicts they would beat an average opponent at a neutral site by 15.6 points.

Reaction Score
This article continues to support how bad UConn has been at spreading all of the positives that we have as a school. The misconceptions spewed in that article basically highlight every major knock on our program people always like to claim. Almost every one is wrong. This is where our AD department needs to up their game and dispell the misinformation.
Yes. Because it’s so easy to overcome ridiculous misinformation in America at the moment.

Reaction Score

Hat and hand? Pleaded?
Forget the made up adjectives. If you’re going to jump all over the author (and you should), WE DID NOT LEAVE THE BIG EAST. THE BIG EAST LEFT US. That’s not a description or an opinion — it’s a cold hard fact.

CL82

Reaction Score
Forget the made up adjectives. If you’re going to jump all over the author (and you should), WE DID NOT LEAVE THE BIG EAST. THE BIG EAST LEFT US. That’s not a description or an opinion — it’s a cold hard fact.
It is frustrating how persistent that narrative is and another example of how much Aresco hurt us in his decision making, particularly the decision to sell off the Big East name.

Reaction Score
Among several gripes with the sports media's anti-UConn propaganda campaign, the "saintly Big East extends an olive branch to UConn" narrative easily pisses me off the most.

Even if it were true, imagine extending someone a loan and having them pay you back in full, with more interest than required, before the term ends, and still having the audacity to kick sand in their eyes. Other fanbases and the national media act like we were panhandling bums that Mother Theresa the Big East decided to save, remaining completely ignorant to the benefits for everyone.

We did more for the Big East in 3 years then virtually everyone except Villanova did in 10. Take your reprimand elsewhere, Matt Nerdlander.

Reaction Score

Hat and hand? Pleaded?
I sort of doubt that. The NEWBIE had a need for a marquee name. It was Villanova and an assortment of nobodies. Say what you will, Creighton-Butler doesn’t move the needle.

CL82

Reaction Score
I sort of doubt that. The NEWBIE had a need for a marquee name. It was Villanova and an assortment of nobodies. Say what you will, Creighton-Butler doesn’t move the needle.
Fetch Mean Girls GIF

Reaction Score
The truth is the big east wanted us and needed us as much as we needed them…and things turned out perfect for both of us…the difference in this upcoming media deal for the big east with uconn being all in or looking to get out is going to be substantial …uconn is now the brand in the big east

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom