OT: - CBB Scandal & Nike | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: CBB Scandal & Nike

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The Lance Armstrong rule. If a guy is beating everyone and they are all cheating then it stands to reason that the guy running circles around them is also cheating.

Adidas was paying that kind of money for a reason. That reason was to out bid other shoe companies.

As for coaches, there is certainly a chance that top level programs, the blue chips don't need to pay players like that. They probably do everything else (Cuse), just not hand over cash. We will see who washes up to the FBI.

At this point every program is suspect, especially programs that come out of nowhere pulling in big recruits.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
...At this point every program is suspect, especially programs that come out of nowhere pulling in big recruits.

hmmm, maybe Mitchell Robinson was Nostradamus and saw this was coming and decided to bail before the stuff hit the fan. Coincidentally WKU just signed with Nike I believe this year.

me-trying-to-explain-game-of-thrones-lorehistorytheories-to-newcomers-238030.jpg

Reaction Score
I said in another thread that I wasn't too worried about AD Dave but if I were AD I'd be asking some tough questions of Chillious right away. That Nike connection and his rep as a recruiter would be very concerning. Not proof of anything to be sure but worth examining.

Really there are 2 separate "scandals" in this episode. The assistants arrested were mainly involved in taking bribes to steer players to certain agents. The payments they made were mostly small stuff. And they were mostly enriching themselves. The other scandal, for which nobody has yet been arrested except maybe the Addidas exec, is directly paying players to go to particular schools, notably Louisville and Miami. It is not clear at this point that those are related other than they both seem to involve college basketball and one can see how investigating 1 could have easily led one to discover the other. I can imagine the bribes by agents to get players being much more extensive than big payments to players to attend certain schools, though. I can't imagine there are more than a handful of guys in any given year who are worth risking jail and/or losing your job and being banned from the NCAA tourney for. For what it's worth I can't think of anyone UConn recruited who fits that mold. Most of our great players became great over time rather than being can't miss guys.

Actually, there is one... Hate to say it, and I hate any type of unfounded speculation with these type of implications but... DeAndre Daniels.

Out of all our recruitment situations since Calhoun became our head coach up through Ollie's tenure, this is the only commitment that did not make any sense. He was not really mentioned in connection with us until near the end. He never came on a visit. His recruitment in general was murky... and then, out of nowhere... Voila! He was committing to us. Sorry, but that one never made sense to me, and I have followed our recruiting pretty closely over the last three decades.

... Before any of you kill me for bringing this one up (Chief, etc...), at least make your attacks based in fact and not on just blind faith or homerism. And do remember that JC was willing to push the envelope to get a guy he really wanted - Remember he set up a game with Rudy Gay's and Josh Boone's AAU coach (Cecil Kirk) and team in Maryland that involved a $25,000 payout.
Here is an article to refresh your memories:
Calhoun Won't Pardon Radio Team's Take On Gay

And yes, I know this was NOT at all against NCAA rules... but as the article relates, JC was certainly called out by Maryland coach Gary Williams at the time. Sour grapes by Williams? From our perspective when it happened, yes. From others who do not wear UConn-colored glasses???

As I sit here thinking about it... if you Chief, or anyone else "in the know" on how the Daniels recruitment played out, I would be very interested in someone sharing information on how he ended up a Husky. And of course, I am thankful he did, since he played an integral role in NC #4.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Everyone is thinking about Calipari because he always seems to end up in recruiting trouble at each of his stops, but Oregon is who I’m interested in. They’re been recruiting extremely well in the past couple years, kind of suspiciously despite their success prior to the 5* talent arriving at campus.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Actually, there is one... Hate to say it, and I hate any type of unfounded speculation with these type of implications but... DeAndre Daniels.

Out of all our recruitment situations since Calhoun became our head coach up through Ollie's tenure, this is the only commitment that did not make any sense. He was not really mentioned in connection with us until near the end. He never came on a visit. His recruitment in general was murky... and then, out of nowhere... Voila! He was committing to us. Sorry, but that one never made sense to me, and I have followed our recruiting pretty closely over the last three decades.

... Before any of you kill me for bringing this one up (Chief, etc...), at least make your attacks based in fact and not on just blind faith or homerism. And do remember that JC was willing to push the envelope to get a guy he really wanted - Remember he set up a game with Rudy Gay's and Josh Boone's AAU coach (Cecil Kirk) and team in Maryland that involved a $25,000 payout.
Here is an article to refresh your memories:
Calhoun Won't Pardon Radio Team's Take On Gay

And yes, I know this was NOT at all against NCAA rules... but as the article relates, JC was certainly called out by Maryland coach Gary Williams at the time. Sour grapes by Williams? From our perspective when it happened, yes. From others who do not wear UConn-colored glasses???

As far as I can see KO is from LA and was an assistant coach at Uconn at the end of D. Daniels high school career. I'm sure he had LA connections and would be known to LA kids. I would not be surprised if he was instrumental in recruiting him prior to being named head coach. I don't think there is anything really strange with that. If I am wrong on these facts please advise.

Reaction Score
Everyone is thinking about Calipari because he always seems to end up in recruiting trouble at each of his stops, but Oregon is who I’m interested in. They’re been recruiting extremely well in the past couple years, kind of suspiciously despite their success prior to the 5* talent arriving at campus.

UConnStats, take it a step further. Not only has Oregon's success gone through the roof out of nowhere, but how about the number of 5* and top 4* guys in the last few years who talk about how Oregon is a desirable destination. Seriously? Sorry, but I am not buying it. Funny how the quotes from these kids always seem to mention "Oregon", but they hardly ever mention Dana Altman. Every recruit who considers UConn mentions KO, Chill or Kill by name. Hasn't anyone else found that bizarre?

I totally agree with you and the other posters who have brought up Oregon over the last few days. Nike is just as guilty in this as Adidas... and we all know that Phil Knight was going to figure out how to get his alma mater to be able to compete with the Blue Bloods on a consistent basis. The powers at Oregon must be praying that the FBI gets nothing from their subpeonas with Nike Grassroots Elite Youth Basketball Program.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
UConnStats, take it a step further. Not only has Oregon's success gone through the roof out of nowhere, but how about the number of 5* and top 4* guys in the last few years who talk about how Oregon is a desirable destination. Seriously? Sorry, but I am not buying it.

I totally agree with you and the other posters who have brought up Oregon over the last few days. Nike is just as guilty in this as Adidas... and we all know that Phil Knight was going to figure out how to get his alma mater to be able to compete with the Blue Bloods on a consistent basis. The powers at Oregon must be praying that the FBI gets nothing from their subpeonas with Nike Grassroots Elite Youth Basketball Program.
I knew it the moment we lost Kosango to them.

Reaction Score
UConnStats, take it a step further. Not only has Oregon's success gone through the roof out of nowhere, but how about the number of 5* and top 4* guys in the last few years who talk about how Oregon is a desirable destination. Seriously? Sorry, but I am not buying it. Funny how the quotes from these kids always seem to mention "Oregon", but they hardly ever mention Dana Altman.

You don't get it? But it's Oregon. I mean, it's Oregon!

It does sound shady, but we HAD just won a championship, and that can have an effect on guys.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Also coming off the 2011 NCAA. Winning and having the guy in your position (Lamb) leaving to the NBA will get the attention of any top recruit.

Perceptions of programs are fluid in terms of how recruits perceive them. While maybe an upstart program has to pay, after enough success they come regardless. I'M was probably good enough to land a lot of these guys anyway off 2013, however they got that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom