OT: - CBB Scandal & Nike | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: CBB Scandal & Nike

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
How is that thread not pinned to the rafters?

IMG_4058.jpg

Reaction Score
Chill worked in the EYBL division for a year in 2007-2008. It seems far enough, he worked 8 years with Washington before we picked him up, but who knows.
I said in another thread that I wasn't too worried about AD Dave but if I were AD I'd be asking some tough questions of Chillious right away. That Nike connection and his rep as a recruiter would be very concerning. Not proof of anything to be sure but worth examining.

Really there are 2 separate "scandals" in this episode. The assistants arrested were mainly involved in taking bribes to steer players to certain agents. The payments they made were mostly small stuff. And they were mostly enriching themselves. The other scandal, for which nobody has yet been arrested except maybe the Addidas exec, is directly paying players to go to particular schools, notably Louisville and Miami. It is not clear at this point that those are related other than they both seem to involve college basketball and one can see how investigating 1 could have easily led one to discover the other. I can imagine the bribes by agents to get players being much more extensive than big payments to players to attend certain schools, though. I can't imagine there are more than a handful of guys in any given year who are worth risking jail and/or losing your job and being banned from the NCAA tourney for. For what it's worth I can't think of anyone UConn recruited who fits that mold. Most of our great players became great over time rather than being can't miss guys.

Reaction Score
Is there any doubt really? At this point you just hope and pray your school's staff is somehow not involved.

Amateurism as we know it will be ground to dust. The NCAA could have nipped this in the bud years and years ago but now they'll just look like a massive pile of incompetence.
Amateurism? I thought Sam Gilbert ended that. Or was it the gamblers at MSG back in the 40s, and 50s? Or maybe it was back when schools were using guys off the street who weren't even students, or whose eligibility had expired, back in the 1900s and 1910s. Amateurism hasn't been ground into dust. Your eyes have just been opened to what has always existed. It's like finding out that the nice old lady you see every day on the way home from work, used to be a notorious whore in her youth. The emperor has no clothes.

Reaction Score
As someone who worked in collegiate athletics, I would be surprised if this wasn't a widespread issue amongst most of the big-name programs in college basketball. If I had to guess, I would assume that this is going to get much, much bigger and have a similar impact on the sport as the doping scandal in cycling and steroids in baseball.

The current system is incredibly conducive to bribery and corruption.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

Alabama Director of Basketball Operations resigns in wake of invesrigation

Alabama director of basketball operations resigns after internal review

To me this is very interesting, a former NCAA Deputy Enforcement Director is involved. I think schools viewed the downside risk as an NCAA sanction or penalty. So yes Baker steered Bama away from that risk in how they did things. I don’t believe the FBI risk filter was on anyone’s radar screen.

Reaction Score
To me this is very interesting, a former NCAA Deputy Enforcement Director is involved. I think schools viewed the downside risk as an NCAA sanction or penalty. So yes Baker steered Bama away from that risk in how they did things. I don’t believe the FBI risk filter was on anyone’s radar screen.

Of course they weren't thinking about the FBI. It's not illegal to do things to entice players to your program, and if you are in the game then you have either done it, or are aware of situations where it has happened and understand that it is something you have to compete against. I would imagine that most people are just fine with justifying a kid getting something, it's the agents and crooked financial guys that were ripping people off of their money that got this thing started and has led us to this point where the lid is going to be blown off of how the basketball world works.

I'm just praying that somehow it leads to people in the NCAA offices actually being aware of it and looking the other way. That would be my "dream scenario" in all of this.

scoobydoo

1977 & 1974 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Yeah when you find out the real reason the plans changed, please let me know. LOL

I imagine its the same reason you talk about Blaze.

You have a terrific imagination.

imagination.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom