Cathy Bochain Husky of Honor? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Cathy Bochain Husky of Honor?

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I believe the OP is combining two popular expressions:

To hit the nail on the head

To hit the final nail in the coffin.

Both have different connotations. When one "hits the nail on the head" it means essentially they have made the mark. They understand the goal. The "head" of a nail is the flat top part that sometimes is hard to hit on your first try unless you are a carpenter. One can "hit the nail on the head" when answering a question or just really understands what the situation is at hand ("Nurse really did a defensive number on that player on XYZ team. She really hit the nail on the head today"). To "hit the final nail in the coffin" is similar to the "icing on the cake" or "the cherry on top" essentially referring to whatever the person did has "sealed the deal". Usually in a more negative way ("Lou hit the final nail in the coffin with her dagger three at the end of regulation and sent XYZ team home with a loss")
I agree completely with your premise. I just never heard the combined form, and wondered whether or not it was common somewhere with which I am unfamiliar. Thanks to everyone who has offered their suggestions. I am just too curious!

Reaction Score
Yes, I think Cathy should be honored! She had great contributions pre Geno. Let’s give her recognition for that!

Reaction Score
Yes, I think Cathy should be honored! She had great contributions pre Geno. Let’s give her recognition for that!
Yes yes and yes! Also Leigh Curl and Chris Gedney (who had a winning attitude and demanded serious playing from UCONN). These two ladies have been amazing after leaving Connecti cut ( Leigh working with the Baltimore Ravens and Gedney with the military) and they continue to support the UCONN women's basketball program to this day.

Reaction Score
By the way she is also a great pharmacist! She was at the CVS at four corners in Storrs for quite a while and then was tabbed to run the pharmacy at the new Storrs Centre store. She is still there and has done a lot for me negotiating with the utilization review idiots at my insurance company so I could get my prescription covered.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
So have I heard that. Or drive the final nail in the coffin, but not combined in that unique way. It is like a blending of two different idioms sharing the common theme of nails. fascinating to me
One I seem to hear a lot is "I don't have a dog in the hunt." That combines "That dog won't hunt" with "I don't have a dog in the fight."

Yes, language is fascinating.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
One I seem to hear a lot is "I don't have a dog in the hunt." That combines "That dog won't hunt" with "I don't have a dog in the fight."

Yes, language is fascinating.
Thanks for chiming in,Gus. It apparently happens often enough that there is a term for it and others such as your suggested example. They are called blended idioms, and said to appear randomly around sayings that have some common word and are morphed by speakers in ordinary conversation. :confused:

Reaction Score
Willingtonfan, when you talk to her tell her she has a fan in the Virgin Islands who cherishes UConn women's basketball history.

Reaction Score
Honor them at halftime of a game if they deserve it. Not an AA then not on the wall.

Reaction Score
Willingtonfan, when you talk to her tell her she has a fan in the Virgin Islands who cherishes UConn women's basketball history.
Bascomfan, you got it!

Never been to the Virgin Islands myself, but have heard it is beautiful. My first visit to the Caribbean came a little over a year ago when I visited an all-inclusive in Jamaica. Will be doing my second later this year, when I take a Disney Cruise that will stop at Nassau and their own Castaway Cay in the Bahamas. Gotta say that, from limited experience, it's a nice place to which to escape in winter!

Have a great day, and could you maybe send some of your warm weather our way? I'll be happy to box up and mail you any snow you would like in return! :)

Reaction Score
Bascomfan, you got it!

Never been to the Virgin Islands myself, but have heard it is beautiful. My first visit to the Caribbean came a little over a year ago when I visited an all-inclusive in Jamaica. Will be doing my second later this year, when I take a Disney Cruise that will stop at Nassau and their own Castaway Cay in the Bahamas. Gotta say that, from limited experience, it's a nice place to which to escape in winter!

Have a great day, and could you maybe send some of your warm weather our way? I'll be happy to box up and mail you any snow you would like in return! :)
Yes the Virgin islands are beautiful. If you ever come let me know.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom