Cathy Bochain Husky of Honor? | The Boneyard

Cathy Bochain Husky of Honor?

Reaction Score
Should Cathy Bochain or other s before the Geno Era be inducted into the Huskies of Honor or at least into a separate type of honor? Please give your input.

Reaction Score
Cathy Bochain | College Player | Inducted 1992
bochain.jpeg

Cathy Bochain proved that a scholar athlete could excel in athletics while following a rigorous academic program. Prior to graduating cum laude from the University of Connecticut School of Pharmacy, Bochain became UConn’s all-time leading scorer with 1,534 points. She also registered the most career steals (240) and most steals in a single game (10).

During 1979-83, Bochain’s team was ranked number one in New England in Division I; in 1981, UConn was the region’s representative to the AIAW Tournament. During the 1979-80 season, Bochain was selected to the All-Connecticut, Rhode Island and Massachusetts Team and was the recipient of the 1983 UConn Club Award for the Outstanding Female Athlete.

Reaction Score
Was she an All American?

No.

Question answered.
Even if not as an "Husky of Honor" it would be nice to see her name in the practice facility. Take for example Yankee stadium, some players did not have their number retired but they have a plaque in their honor at monument park. I'm not saying a plaque necessarily, but "something".

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Should Cathy Bochain or other s before the Geno Era be inducted into the Huskies of Honor or at least into a separate type of honor? Please give your input.
I loved Cathy Bochain ( A great player in that era) but she was never an AIAW all American. I watched her games in the Old Greer Field house. Refereed several. They were several others under coaches Sandra Hamm, Wanda Flora, and Jean Balthaser that would deserved equal recognition including Dr. Leigh Curl, now a surgeon and team Doc for Baltimore Ravens. I think Cathy played for both Wandra Flora and Jean Balthaser. Bob Neal

Reaction Score
OH, I would be happy to have an AIAW hall of honor at Werth or Gampel covering years 1974-1982 !! That would be great. Only 4 or 5 would probably qualify. Many Boneyarders think of UCONN Basketball starting with Geno & CD starting in 1985. Something during Geno's 3 predersessorwould be great IMO. BN

Reaction Score
OH, I would be happy to have an AIAW hall of honor at Werth or Gampel covering years 1974-1982 !! That would be great. Only 4 or 5 would probably qualify. Many Boneyarders think of UCONN Basketball starting with Geno & CD starting in 1985. Something during Geno's 3 predersessorwould be great IMO. BN

Reaction Score
The 4 or 5 that would qualify I think would include Cathy Bochain, Leigh Curl and Chris Gedney.

Reaction Score
I loved Cathy Bochain ( A great player in that era) but she was never an AIAW all American. I watched her games in the Old Greer Field house. Refereed several. They were several others under coaches Sandra Hamm, Wanda Flora, and Jean Balthaser that would deserved equal recognition including Dr. Leigh Curl, now a surgeon and team Doc for Baltimore Ravens. I think Cathy played for both Wandra Flora and Jean Balthaser. Bob Neal
Thanks for the history lesson. Your "living memory" is a wonderful resource.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I know Geno/CD have established the 1st All-American criteria but the question might be was there a prior criteria? Different schools have different criteria as many New England University and their Hall of Fame's are littered with football "Yankee Conference" players vs. national representation.

I have no problem with the current criteria, however considering that UConn had 1 winning season prior to Geno, this candidate aside, are they really worthy? Mmm, not so much.
Now if you want to talk about "Alumni's of Honor" based on what they achieved after-100% in!!!

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Yes perfect ! You hit the nail on the coffin! An AIAW wall of honor at the Werth facility.
I am very curious about your expression 'you hit the nail on the coffin'. Is that a saying indigenous to a particular area? I have never heard it said, but then there are certainly many things of which I am unaware. Language fascinates me. It seems like it could be a mixed metaphor, or a malaphor. Please let me know when/where you first heard this. Thanks. :confused:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I am very curious about your expression 'you hit the nail on the coffin'. Is that a saying indigenous to a particular area? I have never heard it said, but then there are certainly many things of which I am unaware. Language fascinates me. It seems like it could be a mixed metaphor, or a malaphor. Please let me know when/where you first heard this. Thanks. :confused:

It was all of the above. :eek::D

Bama fan

Reaction Score
It means like "perfect idea". No harm intended with the expression.
Please do not think I was being critical Your intent was clear, but my curiosity led me to ask where you first heard it used.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I have heard it as "hit the nail on the head"...

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
I believe the OP is combining two popular expressions:

To hit the nail on the head

To hit the final nail in the coffin.

Both have different connotations. When one "hits the nail on the head" it means essentially they have made the mark. They understand the goal. The "head" of a nail is the flat top part that sometimes is hard to hit on your first try unless you are a carpenter. One can "hit the nail on the head" when answering a question or just really understands what the situation is at hand ("Nurse really did a defensive number on that player on XYZ team. She really hit the nail on the head today"). To "hit the final nail in the coffin" is similar to the "icing on the cake" or "the cherry on top" essentially referring to whatever the person did has "sealed the deal". Usually in a more negative way ("Lou hit the final nail in the coffin with her dagger three at the end of regulation and sent XYZ team home with a loss")

Bama fan

Reaction Score
I have heard it as "hit the nail on the head"...
So have I heard that. Or drive the final nail in the coffin, but not combined in that unique way. It is like a blending of two different idioms sharing the common theme of nails. fascinating to me

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
OH, I would be happy to have an AIAW hall of honor at Werth or Gampel covering years 1974-1982 !! That would be great. Only 4 or 5 would probably qualify. Many Boneyarders think of UCON N Basketball starting with Geno & CD starting in 1985. Something during Geno's 3 predersessorwould be great IMO. BN
That's a big YES

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom