Catch the ball in the end zone. Kneel down. Go to the 25. | The Boneyard

Catch the ball in the end zone. Kneel down. Go to the 25.

Reaction Score
it's hard to catch the ball in the end zone when it's coming down at the 2 or 3 yard line.

we are one of the best kickoff return units in the country, 75th percentile. stop finding stupid things to complain about and go take a nap

Reaction Score
Skanes is ranked 34th in the nation in return yards.

23941EB3-17D7-466B-8DD7-504999F6F30C.jpeg

Reaction Score
it's hard to catch the ball in the end zone when it's coming down at the 2 or 3 yard line.

we are one of the best kickoff return units in the country. stop finding stupid things to complain about and go take a nap

Yeah, throw away the yards. Good insight. Thanks.

Where is Skanes ranked in yards per run? Heck, as many chances as UConn gets to return kicks, I could pile up the yards.

Think harder.

Reaction Score
Yeah, throw away the yards. Good insight. Thanks.

Where is Skanes ranked in yards per run? Heck, as many chances as UConn gets to return kicks, I could pile up the yards.

Think harder.
we're in the 75th percentile for starting field position after a kickoff.

Reaction Score
....are you that stupid? if you catch the ball at the five, that puts you on the 30. you're acting like every kick has gone into the end zone. it's not remotely true.
Are you that stupid? Catching the ball at the five is NOT catching the ball in the end zone.

Good grief, read my post.

Reaction Score
Are you that stupid? Catching the ball at the five is NOT catching the ball in the end zone.

Good grief, read my post.
We have taken the ball out of the end zone what, 5 times this year?

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
How many times do we need to see the ball run out of the end zone to the 15 or 20 yard line before someone realizes we are losing 5 to 10 yards on virtually every kick off return?
You expect too much. A functioning brain isn't a requirement to play.

Another question to ask: do running backs have to take it up the middle into a pile of bodies for a one yard gain when there are no defenders on either side of the pile?

In baseball, why do runners on second base get halfway to third base on a fly ball to the right field warning track when they could easily tag up and advance to third after the catch?

scoobydoo

1977 & 1974 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

we are one of the best kickoff return units in the country, 75th percentile. stop finding stupid things to complain about and go take a nap
1feb4bf5622bf33f8f1e33d270ca8971.jpg

Reaction Score
How many times do we need to see the ball run out of the end zone to the 15 or 20 yard line before someone realizes we are losing 5 to 10 yards on virtually every kick off return?
I agree with you 100%. Then more than not you add in a penalty and your starting inside your 10. Even when they kick it short of the end zone, let it go, as soon as it crosses the goal line it's a touch back. Take the 25 yard line every time.

Reaction Score
You expect too much. A functioning brain isn't a requirement to play.

Another question to ask: do running backs have to take it up the middle into a pile of bodies for a one yard gain when there are no defenders on either side of the pile?

In baseball, why do runners on second base get halfway to third base on a fly ball to the right field warning track when they could easily tag up and advance to third after the catch?

Because if the ball drops they are scoring. If the ball is caught and they go back to second and there are two outs.. they are scoring on a basehit just as easily as if they were on third since with 2 outs they are running on contact. :) When there are no outs, runners tag at 2nd for deep flies to right. I'm guessing this part of your post was rhetorical though... :-(

Reaction Score
Most of the kickoffs by UCF did not make it to the endzone.

Reaction Score
Most of the kickoffs by UCF did not make it to the endzone.
True, but a couple did. And I don't think we made it to the 25 when we ran it out.

If it is short of the goal line you have to catch it and run. Too much can go wrong if you let it drop.

I don't have stats on it but I have watched a lot of games this year and I have noticed that beating the 25 on a kick into the end zone is a poor bet.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Because if the ball drops they are scoring. If the ball is caught and they go back to second and there are two outs.. they are scoring on a basehit just as easily as if they were on third since with 2 outs they are running on contact. :) When there are no outs, runners tag at 2nd for deep flies to right. I'm guessing this part of your post was rhetorical though... :-(
With no outs and the right fielder camped under the ball on or near the warning track, I think the runner on second should tag up. I still see many in that situation go halfway to third and they have to come back to second, not taking the extra base. Now there's one out and they're still in second.

I see it very frequently and I want to throw something at the TV.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I agree with you 100%. Then more than not you add in a penalty and your starting inside your 10. Even when they kick it short of the end zone, let it go, as soon as it crosses the goal line it's a touch back. Take the 25 yard line every time.
That's not true. A kick off that travels more than 10 yards is a live ball. If the other team recovers it in the endzone it is a touchdown.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
That's not true. A kick off that travels more than 10 yards is a live ball. If the other team recovers it in the endzone it is a touchdown.
There was a play in a game I was watching (maybe even our game?) where the ball was kicked near the sideline around 15. The return team was just kinda putsing toward it but the kicking team almost grabbed it. The returner was completely oblivious. Luckily for them it went out of bounds before the kicking team grabbed it.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
There was a play in a game I was watching (maybe even our game?) where the ball was kicked near the sideline around 15. The return team was just kinda putsing toward it but the kicking team almost grabbed it. The returner was completely oblivious. Luckily for them it went out of bounds before the kicking team grabbed it.
Dare I say that the only circumstance where the ball should intentionally be let go on a kickoff is far outside the numbers near the goal line.

Other than that there is too much to think about, least of which is whether the returner"s feet are on the goal line, on the 2, or 2 yards deep.

Reaction Score

NCAA Rule 6, Article 7.

Ball Dead in End Zone
ARTICLE 7(a)When a free kick untouched by Team B touches the ground on
or behind Team B’s goal line, the ball becomes dead and belongs to Team B.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This has been an issue for years. I remember Newsome getting hyped for his total yardage numbers as a frosh when most of it came from returning KO's to the 21 yard line. And yes, it is funny that someone disagreeing with this take doesn't even know the freaking rule.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom