Catch the ball in the end zone. Kneel down. Go to the 25. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Catch the ball in the end zone. Kneel down. Go to the 25.

Reaction Score
Many people are missing the point of trying to return a kick.

Your chances of scoring on an offensive possession do not change measurably if you start at the 25 yard line vs the 22 yard line. Literally no measurable difference. However, there is a measurable difference if your kick return gets you past your own 40 yard line, or better yet, goes all the way for a touchdown.

That's why you do it. Not to get to the 26 yard line. It's to change your statistical chance for a score...

Solution for UConn . . . recruit better talent. FCS players do not consistently get the better of FBS caliber players. We see thks week in and week out in all phases of the game.

What the heck does that comment have to do with the philosophy of returning punts???

The point? You mentioned getting to the 26 yard line to change the statistical chance for a score. Well, UConn could better improve their odds of winning by recruiting better athletes that were capable of doing a lot more than bringing the ball out to the 26 yard line - or even the 40.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
But in this case the increase in the chance of a score probably isn't worth the chance of a turnover. Nevermind adding in the cumulative ground lost.

If we are more concerned about turnovers on a kick off (not punt return, only kickoff), then we should never run our pass either. A ball carrier has to be trusted with not losing the ball when being tackled, or else he shouldn't be a ball carrier...

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The point? You mentioned getting to the 26 yard line to change the statistical chance for a score. Well, UConn could better improve their odds of winning by recruiting better athletes that were capable of doing a lot more than bringing the ball out to the 26 yard line - or even the 40.

I said you DON'T increase your chances by getting to the 26. Read the post again...

Reaction Score
it's hard to catch the ball in the end zone when it's coming down at the 2 or 3 yard line.

we are one of the best kickoff return units in the country, 75th percentile. stop finding stupid things to complain about and go take a nap
Let it land and bounce.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
11 games in there are what 3k things more impactful on being 3-8 than a handful of short kickoff returns?

For example: tackling. That would be something I’d focus on before ever thinking about if this is an ‘issue’.

Reaction Score
Yup. Fair catch inside your own 5 is the way to go.

So happy you are in the stands and not wearing a headset.
Read my post, why are you such an idiot?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Read my post, why are you such an idiot?
You must be able to see your reflection in your monitor.

Read mine. To go along with the linked post, not one of BC's kickoffs went the requisite 65 yards to reach the endzone for a touchback (64 yards, 63, 56, 61, 63, 63).

If the ball does not make it across the end line, it's either a moot point or UConn's offense takes the field inside the 5.

Oblong balls make funny bounces. If it hits the ground, it may cross the goal line, but it may not. If it does not, it is a live ball and the returner has to scramble to field it. IF they successfully do so, UConn starts with bad field position anyway. If they follow your philosophy, they might as well ensure possession and kneel. Apparently you did not have enough of that on punt returns during the Diaco years. You want to extend it to kickoff returns.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
There was a play where Skanes practically dove out of bounds to catch a kickoff that would have gone out of bounds giving us the ball on the 35. I think he brought it back to the 12.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom