Castle reclass??? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Castle reclass???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ollie took over a program heading to the AAC on NCAA restrictions with virtually no bigs… Phil Nolan was a starting center and Brimah was his 2* backup. Won a championship, the AAC tournament, and got to the 2nd round within 4, 5 years.

These excuses Hurley has been giving are BS. He’s had more than enough time, chances, and talent to get out the first round. His lack of success so far has nothing to do with Ollie. Ollie gave him Jalen Adams, Vital, a DPOY, 6th man of the year, and a guy who was just first team all AAC. All while the program finally did what Ollie was asking us to do for him which was bring us to the Big East.
Stop, you sound like an idiot.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Nothing you said contradicted anything I said.

Ollie started off great. Nobody disputes that. Then he was a disaster of epic proportions. Kind of amazing we’re still litigating that.
I don’t agree with the fact that the program was that bad when Hurley took over. I don’t think it was much worse than Ollie. So I don’t agree with the “the program was terrible which is why we are where we are” in year 5 thing. Again, he also got the we’re back in the BE boost.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Weird...I didn't mention Ollie once. All I said was there was a time when we would have killed to be ranked all yr and make the tournament at all. It's a fact.
Who else would you be talking about? When Calhoun was coaching? There’s only one person to take away from that lol. That time was only what, 2 years? Lol

Imagine how great this program is to go on a bad 2-3 year stretch and comments like this are made. This also comes from the perspective of being a Michigan football fan who wants to give Jim Harbaugh a lifetime contract for winning us our first conference championship in 20 years. But I digress.

Reaction Score
I don’t agree with the fact that the program was that bad when Hurley took over. I don’t think it was much worse than Ollie. So I don’t agree with the “the program was terrible which is why we are where we are” in year 5 thing. Again, he also got the we’re back in the BE boost.
Which losing season while being in the AAC wasn’t enough? Recruiting was bad too

From what this place was consistently to where it ended with Ollie was astronomical. The program was in shambles, so I can’t tell if you’re trolling or not. If so, hats off to you

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
We were 7th in the American.
I think it’s clear as day, it’s like there were two Ollie eras. The first era was two years, he did as good and probably a better job than anyone else could have. He took a team on probation and got them to not only stay but play super bard every day and achieve a 20 win season. Then a good regular season followed by a masterful job in the NCAA Tourney.

Then he got a big extension, made some bad moves off the court and started recruiting grad seniors and guys off YouTube dunk videos. While also distancing himself from Calhoun and some valuable long tenured assistants. He basically did everything right for two years and everything wrong his last 3 years. Both eras are over and it’s completely on Hurley now to show what he’s capable of.
Am I tripping or is there some serious revisionist history with the Ollie era?

He won a championship his 2nd year. Won an AAC tourney and went to the 2nd round before getting beat by 1 seed Kansas in his 4th year.

Then had two disastrous years, one where we had the worst injury luck, then another after having a mass transfer exodus and more injury luck.

Fact of the matter is, in year 5 Hurley has not had a team as good as Ollie’s was in year 4. Record wise or tournament success wise.

Again, Hurley was given every resource to succeed here. Contract, new and better conference, players he can use and win with (only guys who have not played up and left are his), etc. So I’m not buying the excuses. Win.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

I'm sorry, you're nuts. Ollie had Shabazz and Boatright, two UConn legends, as his starting backcourt, and DeAndre Daniels. All three of them were better than anyone Hurley inherited.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Back to the OP.. Will be interesting to see what DH's next few portal additions to the roster does in influencing Castle's reclass decision and if he is serious about it . Or if a reclass decision sooner rather than later affects how DH constructs his guard/wing additions through the portal because of the SC reclass. Which one happens first?

Not too different than Hawk's initial perception of himself--Does SC see himself as a two yr guy? One and done?

SC comes from a strong family background of hard workers/tough minded folks. Not worried at all about his work ethic. Should push everyone once he's in Storrs--Whenever that happens.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I'm sorry, you're nuts. Ollie had Shabazz and Boatright, two UConn legends, as his starting backcourt, and DeAndre Daniels. All three of them were better than anyone Hurley inherited.
Are ANY of those guys UConn legends without Ollie coaching them to be that? He did something called develop recruits. All he was responsible for recruiting too. He turned Deandre Daniels into a first rounder. Actually coached and helped him improve. Something we are dying to see right now.

I already ran down the list of accolades Hurley inherited guys have received. In 4-5 years he’s had 2 hits with his own recruits.

Reaction Score
Glad to see this thread is back on the Castle focus :rolleyes:

Suggestion....lock this thread and then start a new one about something I still can't decipher.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Adams and Gilbert were very close to being burger boys as recruits if I remember correctly. Rated higher than Bazz and Boat.

Sorry if this thread got off track. All this to say, if Castle comes in and he’s ready to play. Play him. A lot. I don’t want to see anymore situations like this past year where we’re leaning on super seniors just cause.

Reaction Score
In the final season of Ollie as Head Coach, UConn got beat by 20 or more points EIGHT times. In the entire history of UConn Men's basketball, they had never lost more than 5 games by 20 more points in a season until then. Yes, UConn WAS that bad when Hurley took over.

Your recent posts are bizarre to say the least.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Jakai Newton is gonna win... he has a huge following in Atlanta. I've watched a bunch of their games... I get it, he's electric. Castle is objectively the better player though. I don't even think it's that close.
I haven’t kept up much with high school hoops lately, but is there really any guards in the country better than Castle this year? It seems like he’s the full package.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Are ANY of those guys UConn legends without Ollie coaching them to be that? He did something called develop recruits. All he was responsible for recruiting too. He turned Deandre Daniels into a first rounder. Actually coached and helped him improve. Something we are dying to see right now.

I already ran down the list of accolades Hurley inherited guys have received. In 4-5 years he’s had 2 hits with his own recruits.

Yes, the three players I listed were all better the second Ollie took over the job than anyone on Hurley's roster the second he took over. We can talk about development if you want, but you specifically said that the roster Hurley took over wasn't much worse than the one Ollie did and that's just not true.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah KO put UConn in the AAC and DH got UConn out.
I Dont Think So Hot Coffee GIF by Aurora Consulting - SBA EIDL Experts

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Yes, the three players I listed were all better the second Ollie took over the job than anyone on Hurley's roster the second he took over. We can talk about development if you want, but you specifically said that the roster Hurley took over wasn't much worse than the one Ollie did and that's just not true.
Sophomore year Boatright and Deandre Daniels were better than senior year Jalen Adams?

Do you remember DDs freshman year? Or how good JA was? They were both very guard heavy teams with virtually no bigs. Except Ollie was working with Phil Nolan and Hurley was working with Josh Carlton.

Attached are refreshers. They really weren’t all that different.

Attachments

• 549D0D17-09DB-4C03-96AA-3E53075C942A.png
    549D0D17-09DB-4C03-96AA-3E53075C942A.png
    708.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 367ED012-73E1-4E5E-A786-C5127F0D4C4F.png
    367ED012-73E1-4E5E-A786-C5127F0D4C4F.png
    703.4 KB · Views: 94
Reaction Score
Am I tripping or is there some serious revisionist history with the Ollie era?

He won a championship his 2nd year. Won an AAC tourney and went to the 2nd round before getting beat by 1 seed Kansas in his 4th year.

Then had two disastrous years, one where we had the worst injury luck, then another after having a mass transfer exodus and more injury luck.

Fact of the matter is, in year 5 Hurley has not had a team as good as Ollie’s was in year 4. Record wise or tournament success wise.

Again, Hurley was given every resource to succeed here. Contract, new and better conference, players he can use and win with (only guys who have not played up and left are his), etc. So I’m not buying the excuses. Win.
Regardless of how you feel about KO, and Chief is somewhere in the middle, he couldn’t coach for the next 3 years anyways, due to NCAA sanctions. Something to keep in mind.

Reaction Score

Please put on your Ollie t-shirt and go away and stop wasting everyone’s time.

Reaction Score

Do you just lay in bed staring at the Ollie poster on your ceiling?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Do you just lay in bed staring at the Ollie poster on your ceiling?
If me stating facts and showing respect for a coach that won us a NC makes me a super fan than hey.

He had to go because the situation got out of control. He 100% could not have remained coach. But he was great with what he was given before things went downhill. Going from Calhoun to him, it doesn’t help me hear excuses from Hurley seeing the talent he’s had on his roster. Both of those coaches squeezed every bit of talent from their players. I just want to see the same from Hurley is all. We never had Gaffney and Akok situations where guys just failed to get it.

Shoot Terrance Samuels was a viable freshman for us on an NC team with a loaded back court but we couldn’t find minutes for Diggins while giving RJ Cole 35 minutes a game? That doesn’t make sense to me. That’s a problem Hurley has to fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom