Castle Injury | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Castle Injury

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He dropped 40 on Creighton. Single handedly kept us in the game. He’s hasn’t lived to standard as a pro, but the revisionist history is wild
That was like the 5th game of that season. Hardly a big game. How did he do vs Creighton in the BE tournament or vs Maryland fin the ncaa tournament?

Reaction Score
No such thing as a minor knee injury. Swollen knee indicates strained ligaments/damage, at a minimum.
No worries. Doc will fix him up.
1700046716370.png

Reaction Score
That was like the 5th game of that season. Hardly a big game. How did he do vs Creighton in the BE tournament or vs Maryland fin the ncaa tournament?
If "big game" is literally only Conference Tournament or NCAA...he only one like three because of covid. Not a large enough sample size to say something meaningful.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
$ 20 to park in Hartford, you got to be kidding me

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
It’s what I’ve been given after each of my three knee surgeries. It’s not for support of any kind and not something for playing in. It’s solely for compression - essentially a thick compression sock with the end cut off.
Reduces swelling

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Relax people, we have depth.
Meh. Not really. We have a great starting five and Johnson and Ball look good. Not sold on anyone else.

Reaction Score
Relax people, we have depth.

You sure Horatio? With Castle in the lineup and Ball off the pine we’re ok. But otherwise I saw a dramatic change. And Samson is ok but his defense is still a question mark and will be noticeable versus better teams.

I’m nervous about the “depth” I admit it. I know it’s early but the young guys seem to lack that it thing right now.

Reaction Score
I have noticed Samson has been slipping on the XL floor. Are they playing over ice?

Reaction Score
No it didn't. Bouknight stunk in every big game he ever played in
I was at the Garden for Indiana game his frosh year, first time seeing the ballyhooed freshman. Never saw anybody with a worse case of deer in the headlights.

Reaction Score
You sure Horatio? With Castle in the lineup and Ball off the pine we’re ok. But otherwise I saw a dramatic change. And Samson is ok but his defense is still a question mark and will be noticeable versus better teams.

I’m nervous about the “depth” I admit it. I know it’s early but the young guys seem to lack that it thing right now.
Our depth is going to have a pretty steep learning curve. They aren't even on the competition against good teams part of that curve yet.

Reaction Score
Sort of looks like the sleeve or surgical stocking, my ortho gave me after my meniscus debridement on October 25.

He recommended I wear it pulled up over the knee cap, and then he reached down to pull it up again so it became doubled up for firmer support.

It is supposed to reduce the swelling. I feel it gives me good support when I am walking.

Seems odd Castle is wearing it so low, unless it is just a calf tweak and not an upper knee issue.

Hope he gets better soon.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
I was at the Garden for Indiana game his frosh year, first time seeing the ballyhooed freshman. Never saw anybody with a worse case of deer in the headlights.
To be fair, this was his worst game as a Husky according to Kenpom. In 22 A + B ranked games during his two year stint here, he had an average offensive rating of 98. Not "great" but also not on the level of "stunk".

Reaction Score
I'm just going to post my notes on the depth pieces that I took over the past few games since we're talking about depth concerns. I think it's pretty clear we don't have the same depth we did last year. There is no Clingan off the bench (which was a luxury), and at this point basically on one we can rely on to score the rock. I think we'll be fine though--last year was kind of an enigma in terms of bench performance.

Johnson: Hot and cold. Makes an eye-popping athletic play on both ends and follows it up with 2 plays of disaster. He's not worth much at this point on offense outside of lobs, but that's all we really need and much more would be taking the ball out of our scorers hands. Where he MUST improve is on defense. He's a half step too slow all the time on his rotations, or misses them entirely, which is saying something considering how slow our opponents have been, and how fast he is naturally. I don't need the big block or the SC Top-10 dunk if he can just be in the right position on defense. Get in the film room. Right now, he's playing like a freshman (no surprise), so I think he'll be servicable with game reps soon.

Solo: Needs to chill the hell out. Reminds me of early Hawkins and Andre in that way. Looks much better when he is playing in the flow of things. When his feet are set his shot looks much better--way improved during his year at Brewster. Obviously a freak athlete. I suspect he'll settle in and defend better--just making some freshman mistakes now. Good for some baseline dunks, but his handle and finishing are super limited. A lot like early Hawkins in that regard. We need him to be passable as a secondary ballhandler to take minutes from Diarra, but I'm not sure he's there yet.

Diarra: I am confused why folks are surprised with his play. He is what he is. Great in the locker room and in practice, but limited as a player. We'll need him for ballhandling in case of foul trouble, but I'd expect him around 5-10 MPG at most in games that matter. If Solo can have a steep learning curve, we may see even less.

Ross: Can't say he's shown much except not making too many mistakes. Which for a 9th-man is actually pretty solid, but we really need scoring. Occasional nice pass, 3, or hustle play but otherwise pretty much just there. Needs to SHOOT when he is open.

Stewart: Similar to Ross--I'm not sure either has really established themselves as the obvious choice for 9th (and probably last) in the normal rotation. Same as Ross, not looking to score enough, especially on the perimeter.

Reaction Score
He dropped 40 on Creighton. Single handedly kept us in the game. He’s hasn’t lived to standard as a pro, but the revisionist history is wild
It's true that Bouknight had a few strong performances in big games. But what I do remember is that he'd get down on himself when things weren't going his way. This was true for both seasons. You could see it in his body language - and I'd know immediately that it'd be a difficult game for us. This was especially true at the end of his last season -- in the Big East tournament and the NCAA tournament. I imagine that is what the OP is remembering

Reaction Score
To be fair, this was his worst game as a Husky according to Kenpom. In 22 A + B ranked games during his two year stint here, he had an average offensive rating of 98. Not "great" but also not on the level of "stunk".
Average the combined progress made by Hawkins and Bouk in their 2 years in Storrs and apply it to our 5 frosh and it makes you feel pretty good about the future. Just need Castle to be healthy@!!

Reaction Score
I'm just going to post my notes on the depth pieces that I took over the past few games since we're talking about depth concerns. I think it's pretty clear we don't have the same depth we did last year. There is no Clingan off the bench (which was a luxury), and at this point basically on one we can rely on to score the rock. I think we'll be fine though--last year was kind of an enigma in terms of bench performance.

Johnson: Hot and cold. Makes an eye-popping athletic play on both ends and follows it up with 2 plays of disaster. He's not worth much at this point on offense outside of lobs, but that's all we really need and much more would be taking the ball out of our scorers hands. Where he MUST improve is on defense. He's a half step too slow all the time on his rotations, or misses them entirely, which is saying something considering how slow our opponents have been, and how fast he is naturally. I don't need the big block or the SC Top-10 dunk if he can just be in the right position on defense. Get in the film room. Right now, he's playing like a freshman (no surprise), so I think he'll be servicable with game reps soon.

Solo: Needs to chill the hell out. Reminds me of early Hawkins and Andre in that way. Looks much better when he is playing in the flow of things. When his feet are set his shot looks much better--way improved during his year at Brewster. Obviously a freak athlete. I suspect he'll settle in and defend better--just making some freshman mistakes now. Good for some baseline dunks, but his handle and finishing are super limited. A lot like early Hawkins in that regard. We need him to be passable as a secondary ballhandler to take minutes from Diarra, but I'm not sure he's there yet.

Diarra: I am confused why folks are surprised with his play. He is what he is. Great in the locker room and in practice, but limited as a player. We'll need him for ballhandling in case of foul trouble, but I'd expect him around 5-10 MPG at most in games that matter. If Solo can have a steep learning curve, we may see even less.

Ross: Can't say he's shown much except not making too many mistakes. Which for a 9th-man is actually pretty solid, but we really need scoring. Occasional nice pass, 3, or hustle play but otherwise pretty much just there. Needs to SHOOT when he is open.

Stewart: Similar to Ross--I'm not sure either has really established themselves as the obvious choice for 9th (and probably last) in the normal rotation. Same as Ross, not looking to score enough, especially on the perimeter.
This is fair. It's too early to pass judgment on Ross and Stewart, even Ball, but we know who Diarra is -- there was never a leap coming.

Johnson appears to be exactly what I've said for 2 years -- a highlight reel package, a guy who looks amazing in workouts, but who doesn't fit a winning 5-on-5 concept. The lobs and dunks won't be there as readily against good competition. He has a lot of similarities to Majok and Akok. That high-potential archetype just doesn't typically produce in college unless they're really at a freak, superstar level. He still has 30+ games to prove me wrong, or for it to "click," but priors are getting reinforced with each passing game.

Reaction Score
I saw Indiana just about beat Army on my Operation 351 trip this past week. They have a very good guard Xavier Johnson and a mobile center Ware but not much else after that. They have very little depth and we should wear them down. Plus their fans wear red clown pants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom