Castle and the arc. | The Boneyard

Castle and the arc.

Reaction Score
Pretty quietly, Stephon has made a three point shot in each of our last four games. G'town 1-2, Creighton 1-5, Nova 1-5, X 1-1. If you're counting, and I am, that is 4-13, 30%. It's not great but it is huge improvement.

He's the thing. He only shoots when he is wide open, basically, he only takes good shots from the arc. His form is solid, he shoots with confidence, and I would expect he is working very hard to get better. If he improves enough to make 5 of 13, that's 38%.

Stephon Castle at 38% or even 34% makes us ethereal on the offensive end. So although there has been some postings he shouldn't be taking threes, I believe he needs to take, at least, one a game. What I am NOT saying is that he should jacking up threes from all over the place. But he needs to continue to make the three part of his game. It is a small risk for a tremendous reward. And it should be good for both the player and the team.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Seems like Castle shoots the 3 better off movement than having time to think about the shot. I can sympathize!
Exactly. There’s a pretty obvious hitch in his form that goes away when he shoots it in rhythm.

Reaction Score
I’m dying on the hill that it’s a mental issue and not a skill issue

Not saying he’s an elite shooter, but I don’t think his skill level is less than like 33% which is all you need from a guy that does everything else like he does

When he catches a pass in rhythm and goes up, it usually looks good. When he’s getting 10ft of space because the defender refuses to guard him, he misses

Reaction Score
Almost everyone shoots better if it "is in the flow". If he thinks about it for a second or two, like a lot of shooters, the percentage is going to drop.

It doesn't really matter what we think on the board. I know Hurley said pretty recently that they are surprised because he was a better shooter than they thought in practice when he first showed up and he wants him to shoot when he's open. I just don't think he wants him shooting at the Spencer/Newton/Karaban volume.

Reaction Score
Guys like Spenser and Karaban are different. If they are missing they should shoot until they make them. When they are making them they should shoot 'til they miss. In short, they should always shoot threes. Always.

Castle should shoot two maybe three in a game. If he's missing. He should concentrate on other parts of his game. If he makes his first couple, he should shoot a couple more. That's it.

Reaction Score
Guys like Spenser and Karaban are different. If they are missing they should shoot until they make them. When they are making them they should shoot 'til they miss. In short, they should always shoot threes. Always.
I agree on Spencer since he's a great 3 point shooter. Spenser is not a good three point shooter. But he's a great private investigator. :)
1706557026333.png

Reaction Score
it looks like both Him and Clingan could be slowly trending up as shooters. Connecticut will be hilariously good if those two are even reasonable from three.
Donovan has had this ability for a long time. Its just we haven’t needed him to shoot it instead of others. With Cam, Karaban, Newton and Diarra shooting the three as well as they have our extended offensive game is strong. Also, remember his greatest strengths are to get the defense to sink inward and be there to rebound. That said, it would benefit Donovan most to demonstrate this ability from an NBA perspective.

Secure Dog

Blue Collar = Blue Blood
Reaction Score

Castle should shoot two maybe three in a game. If he's missing. He should concentrate on other parts of his game. If he makes his first couple, he should shoot a couple more. That's it.
I do not think it is a coincidence that him making a three 3:40 into the game he swishes a three pointer and then he is going to the basket getting to the free throw line and handing out 5 dimes. He has to shoot and make one or two threes a game for us to be at our peak. Him and Donovan on the court together fully healthy surrounded by Cam, Alex and Tristen. That is just a dominating starting five.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He'll probably keep getting better. He doesn't have to rain 3s, we have enough guys doing that, he just has to keep the defense honest so he doesn't get the Andre Jackson treatment. It's the same reason Donovan did the right thing taking one, and why I wish Johnson would let it fly.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I have zero issues with him shooting 3s. Never did

Same.

It's more the flow and time/place of the shot than actually taking shots. 2-3 attempts per game is about right considering how most teams are playing the Castle defensively.

Reaction Score
I’m dying on the hill that it’s a mental issue and not a skill issue

Not saying he’s an elite shooter, but I don’t think his skill level is less than like 33% which is all you need from a guy that does everything else like he does

When he catches a pass in rhythm and goes up, it usually looks good. When he’s getting 10ft of space because the defender refuses to guard him, he misses
Agreed 100 percent on this. Was same thing w AJ. Just needs to play ball and shoot in rhythm…when he hesitates and thinks about it too much as they’re sagging off him, that’s when it gets ugly.

Reaction Score
If it's in rhythm, and they're open, both Castle, and Donovan should shoot at least 1 per half. If they make them, shoot more. If not, reassess until the next half.

Hurley did an interview with Goodman last night where he said himself that DC should be taking 1 per half. After that depends on the results. He hasn't taken many because he didn't feel as confident in the shot as he wanted to. Hopefully yesterday will help going forward.

He has also recently said that Castle is a much better shooter than he's shown so far, and he thinks his confidence is starting to round into form with his shooting. It's absolutely mental with Steph's shot. The only way to fix it is by taking more shots.

But honestly neither of these guys need to hunt 3's for the offense to work. Get it when the defense gives it, and when it fits. I believe both of these guys will be "threats" from deep by the end of the season. The level is yet to be seen, but i think they'll both draw a defender further out of the paint than they do now, and that's the goal. Make the defense have to guard every guy on the court hard for the entire game from 23 feet all the way to the basket.

Reaction Score
Seems like Castle shoots the 3 better off movement than having time to think about the shot. I can sympathize!
Just what i was about to point out. when he gets it and takes his time because hes open he seems to miss and do so badly but when he gets the ball and just goes up it looks great and hes drilled a couple like that.

Reaction Score
For me, I am all in for him shooting those than when Andre did. With Andre, you were mostly praying that it went in. With Castle it looks good most of the time, at least in my eyes. You can tell the mechanics, the stroke is there. Staff has to get him shooting 200 after each practice at least and it will come to him

Reaction Score
He needs to work on his free throws. I believe he dipped below 70% after the Xavier game. He seems to miss the front end often. Needs to clean that up. He's too good to not shoot 80%+.

Reaction Score
Donovan has had this ability for a long time. Its just we haven’t needed him to shoot it instead of others. With Cam, Karaban, Newton and Diarra shooting the three as well as they have our extended offensive game is strong. Also, remember his greatest strengths are to get the defense to sink inward and be there to rebound. That said, it would benefit Donovan most to demonstrate this ability from an NBA perspective.
Don’t forget Ball. He was 4 for 5 on three pointers yesterday.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom