Castle and the arc. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Castle and the arc.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Pretty quietly, Stephon has made a three point shot in each of our last four games. G'town 1-2, Creighton 1-5, Nova 1-5, X 1-1. If you're counting, and I am, that is 4-13, 30%. It's not great but it is huge improvement.

He's the thing. He only shoots when he is wide open, basically, he only takes good shots from the arc. His form is solid, he shoots with confidence, and I would expect he is working very hard to get better. If he improves enough to make 5 of 13, that's 38%.

Stephon Castle at 38% or even 34% makes us ethereal on the offensive end. So although there has been some postings he shouldn't be taking threes, I believe he needs to take, at least, one a game. What I am NOT saying is that he should jacking up threes from all over the place. But he needs to continue to make the three part of his game. It is a small risk for a tremendous reward. And it should be good for both the player and the team.
We have better shooters than Castle so I prefer they be the ones shooting 3’s. Going 1-5 from 3, isn’t helping us. I like castle but I like him more when he drives to the rim and finishes at the rim.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Seems like Castle shoots the 3 better off movement than having time to think about the shot. I can sympathize!
In the recent past he came off a screen at the top of the key and in a split second fired one in. Picture perfect. We know he has ultra fast hands from how he finishes at the rim and his defense. Gets better with speed. Gotta love that.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Perhaps it’s the Divine Providence thing. Perhaps it’s all the recent success and positivity. A part of me saw the title and thought we were making Stephon a saint.

Reaction Score
Castle should take two per half of the wide open ones, once he starts making threes, his defender has to cover him. That will make it easier for his drives to the hoop.

Reaction Score
Castle should take two per half of the wide open ones, once he starts making threes, his defender has to cover him. That will make it easier for his drives to the hoop.

There's only so many shows in a game. That seems aggressive.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Maybe we should move on from this conversation. I don’t believe there is anymore that can be said. He is going to take them and more than likely make a higher percentage as the year goes on. He is a freshman who missed time with an injury serious enough to have some type of surgical procedure. I will be honest, I am not worried about Castle. I am excited as I expect with a high amount of certainty that he will continue to improve as we head toward March.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
From CBBAnalytics... seems that either SC works on corner 3s or just stop taking them.

Looking at this, you'd rather he take 3s above the key than shoot 2s away from basket.

1706621748884.png

Reaction Score
From CBBAnalytics... seems that either SC works on corner 3s or just stop taking them.

Looking at this, you'd rather he take 3s above the key than shoot 2s away from basket.

View attachment 95817
Trying to think back without going through film, i believe all the corner 3's he shot were very early in the season. He was the lead guard less often then. He was also recovering from injury then. Add that he's a freshman getting used to things, like all frosh.

I would think if we redid this chart in a couple weeks but only included January(ish) going forward, i think it will tell a different story. I don't think he'll be a knockdown shooter from anywhere, but his second half of the season will be far different than the first. And that's what really matters for us.

Reaction Score
Steph is a smart BB player. In the line- up he is usually in most of the time. He is surrounded by excellent three point shooters-TN/CS/AK-- and a dominant center-when healthy. He contributes in so many other ways when on the floor and is an opportunistic scorer when situations present themselves. He has been deferring to those guys as a facilitator.

If the team he was on needed him to put up more threes-he could certainly do it at a reasonable percentage. Would rather have him tighten up his FTs as we approach the rest of the season and Tournament time.

No question in my mind that DH has given him the green light if open.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
The fact that Steph has only played <1/3 of a season as a true freshman and the only thing the Boneyard can nitpick about his game is his AVERAGE 3pt % tells you everything you need to know about how talented this kid is and how well he's played.

Castle is really special and is improving every game. Even if he doesn't improve his 3pt%, I'll take his average 3pt shot because he never forces it and he more than makes up for a missed 3 with his handle, driving ability, vision/passing, and suffocating defense.

He's an x-factor to this team reaching its maximum ceiling. But we're probably fine as-is... I don't think we lose @ Kansas with him in the lineup.

Enjoy Castle's last 2 months in a Connecticut jersey.

Reaction Score
Perhaps it’s the Divine Providence thing. Perhaps it’s all the recent success and positivity. A part of me saw the title and thought we were making Stephon a saint.
If the 3s start dropping, sainthood is NOT out of the question.

Reaction Score
Our staff will "unlock him" throughout the season like they did with Andre last year. They will put him in positions to succeed given his unique skillset and he will continue to thrive as the team thrives.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I’d have more faith in a 3pt reversion if he shot free throws better. I’d stick to one or two attempts per game, and mostly as bail out shots when the offense breaks down.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Reaction Score

View attachment 95817

I'm not sure the sample size is enough to warrant any major conclusions here. 6 shots ain't much... 25 shots isn't even much. I'd trust the data from practice more at this point.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I’d have more faith in a 3pt reversion if he shot free throws better. I’d stick to one or two attempts per game, and mostly as bail out shots when the offense breaks down.
His first three times shooting free throws he missed the first and made the second. The fourth time he made both.

His form is beautiful. It’s a matter of confidence. The more opportunities he has under the bright lights the quicker he become consistent.

He has to overcome two things. First is whether he should be a scoring option when there are other really good options he plays with that have seniority.

Second is overcoming the fear that not succeeding in any attempt can impact the game. You’re advocating this is the attitude he should have which I disagree with. He’s too good of a player to reinforce that mindset. I prefer that he develops his confidence as quickly as possible to be another scoring option that opponents have to game plan.

Reaction Score
We have better shooters than Castle so I prefer they be the ones shooting 3’s. Going 1-5 from 3, isn’t helping us. I like castle but I like him more when he drives to the rim and finishes at the rim.
Agree, but in games where we are running away let him get some 3 reps down. Maybe he gets better? When crunch times come in games that really mean something in March our coaching staff won’t be worried about hurting his feelings. They’ll game plan with our best shooters taking them.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure the sample size is enough to warrant any major conclusions here. 6 shots ain't much... 25 shots isn't even much. I'd trust the data from practice more at this point.
All reports (Hurley and Kimani) are that he is a great shooter in practice. It seems lately he is starting to show it in games.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
His form is beautiful. It’s a matter of confidence.
I see this too often, from people I respect, to doubt it. It always makes me wonder though, "how does the ball know?". Is it like a Caddy Shack thing?

Reaction Score
At this point I'm more worried about the FT shooting, it's great that he can draw fouls and get the opposing team in the penalty but he's gotta do better than 1/2 every trip. He's leaving way too many points at the line.

Reaction Score
Castle's coming out party? 20 points and held Carter to 6-18. As others have said, he's going to get better as the season goes on. You could see it coming.

I'm not going to kill him for fouling out. That was a ridiculous foul fest.
Hurley basically asked for this when He criticized the B.E. officiating by comparing it to MMA. Hopefully next game will be officiated better.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom