Cash for grades | The Boneyard

Cash for grades

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Didn't see this anywhere. Looks like UCONN is going to be one of the universities paying their players/students to get good grades.

Reaction Score
It’s not really “for good grades”. Students can receive up to @6,000 per year for “performance type awards”. So now schools in the richer conferences are using that label to give kids up to $6000. Look, I know some people think kids are getting too much, but you have to think in a current situation mode. 20 years ago schools werent getting $100 million dollar TV contracts for broadcasting rights of the students playing games.

Im just going to go with what I know about SEC and SC schools in particular. All athletic scholarships are for 4 years as long as you are in good academic standing and have no disciplinary problems. A lot of that TV money goes into facilities. At SC we have built top of the line living quarters with amenities that are like a 5* hotel where most of the athletes live. This year SC was one of the first schools in the nation to implement the $6000 award money. What it does is make every athlete eligible for that money, including walk-ons. The money is capped at $6000 so regardless of what other awards you get there can’t be more money. When I say every atlete is eligible, that includes tennis players, T&F, equestrian, etc. It really is a great recruiting tool as long as we stay in the forefront of that.

Reaction Score
It’s not really “for good grades”. Students can receive up to @6,000 per year for “performance type awards”. So now schools in the richer conferences are using that label to give kids up to $6000. Look, I know some people think kids are getting too much, but you have to think in a current situation mode. 20 years ago schools werent getting $100 million dollar TV contracts for broadcasting rights of the students playing games.

Im just going to go with what I know about SEC and SC schools in particular. All athletic scholarships are for 4 years as long as you are in good academic standing and have no disciplinary problems. A lot of that TV money goes into facilities. At SC we have built top of the line living quarters with amenities that are like a 5* hotel where most of the athletes live. This year SC was one of the first schools in the nation to implement the $6000 award money. What it does is make every athlete eligible for that money, including walk-ons. The money is capped at $6000 so regardless of what other awards you get there can’t be more money. When I say every atlete is eligible, that includes tennis players, T&F, equestrian, etc. It really is a great recruiting tool as long as we stay in the forefront of that.
Do we still guarantee a 4 year scholarship to all incomiing freshmen?? I know Spurrier and Ray Tanner led the charge on this a decade ago, but is it still the policy? Yes, even players who go pro after three got a fourth year if they came back to school to finish a degree after their playing days

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Several years ago, there was a UConn men’s team player, Shabazz Napier, that spoke out about going hungry while on scholarship. Thinking back to my own college years, I remember going out for a burger or pizza when I got hungry but some kids on scholarship may not have the disposable cash others like me have. I have no problem giving the kids some spending money. They’re busting their butts playing basketball and attending classes.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Does anyone know how this works for international students? I know Nika, Aaliyah, and Dorka can't cash in on NIL deals, but are they allowed to get the academic bonus from the university?

Reaction Score
Several years ago, there was a UConn men’s team player, Shabazz Napier, that spoke out about going hungry while on scholarship. Thinking back to my own college years, I remember going out for a burger or pizza when I got hungry but some kids on scholarship may not have the disposable cash others like me have. I have no problem giving the kids some spending money. They’re busting their butts playing basketball and attending classes.

I'm almost 100% sure D1 athletes get a stipend. And the men get more than the women. Although my daughter wasn't in D1, she said the same thing to me. They have a card that has money on it that can only be used at the school, but coming back late from games or practices, everything is closed. So they have to go to bed hungry.

Reaction Score
Aren't (American citizen) student athletes permitted to receive PELL Grants?

Reaction Score
I remember the Shabazz Napier and other similar poignant issues and lay them at the foot of the NCAA. I don't know which organization is worse and I hate more, the NCAA or FIBA!

Reaction Score
Do they pay on a curve? Can you pick up a few bucks if you barely pass? I think they should expand payments to other things….. getting out of bed…..$500. Making it to class….$750. Going a full month without committing a felony…..$1000. We are going from the Blime to the sub-blime

Reaction Score

I think rather than paying these athletes even more than their scholarship bonanza, Universities should use that money to lower tuition costs for everyone or, at the very least, use it for needy, disadvantaged students! Athletes, just like everyone else, should not need to be paid for dining something that benefits them already! Oh well, I guess I am not surprised. The apocalypse continues! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score

That money (tv etc) should be used to lower the outrageous tuition rates!

Reaction Score
That money (tv etc) should be used to lower the outrageous tuition rates!
But that money isn’t going to the school. It’s going to the athletic Dpts. Again, i‘s from televising ATHLETIC events.

Reaction Score
But that money isn’t going to the school. It’s going to the athletic Dpts. Again, i‘s from televising ATHLETIC events.
That money, like the Athletic Departments themselves, belongs ultimately, to the school!

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
That money, like the Athletic Departments themselves, belongs ultimately, to the school!
The unfortunate truth is that many donors to colleges or universities. are concerned primarily with the athletic programs more so than academic ones. Furthermore, I do not recall hearing people complain that much when a donor bequest specifies a particular school or degree program gets the benefits. Donors may wish their money go to nursing, or electrical engineering, or drama; and so that money does not go into a general fund, And attendees at athletic events are supporting that aspect of the university, and could reasonably expect the bennies to go to athletes. It is seldom as cut and dried as it seems.

Reaction Score
So in addition to getting a full scholarship, student athletes can now be paid to get "good" grades. Interesting.
Well that’s all the incentive I would need to pass T.V.

“Coach. Like my spin move?”

Reaction Score
2 kids sitting side-by-side in English 101. One kid is third string on some obscure sports team and the other kid doesn't play sports. The "athlete" gets ~$6,000 for getting a "C". The non-athlete gets nada for getting an "A". Someone is going to file a lawsuit.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
2 kids sitting side-by-side in English 101. One kid is third string on some obscure sports team and the other kid doesn't play sports. The "athlete" gets ~$6,000 for getting a "C". The non-athlete gets nada for getting an "A". Someone is going to file a lawsuit.
Why? There are specific criteria that must be met for the $6,000 and if the athletes meet them, they should get the money. Its pretty clear cut

Reaction Score
Why? There are specific criteria that must be met for the $6,000 and if the athletes meet them, they should get the money. Its pretty clear cut
Nan, the point I was trying to make wasn't about logic or fairness or anything like that. My point was that there will be a lawsuit for 2 kids doing the same thing, i.e. getting good grades and one getting paid for it, and one not. Throw another spin on it, what if the "athlete" was a male and the non-athlete was a female? Where does Title IX come in? I understand Title IX is not just about sports. It doesn't take much these days to generate a lawsuit, and that was the point of my post.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Nan, the point I was trying to make wasn't about logic or fairness or anything like that. My point was that there will be a lawsuit for 2 kids doing the same thing, i.e. getting good grades and one getting paid for it, and one not. Throw another spin on it, what if the "athlete" was a male and the non-athlete was a female? Where does Title IX come in? I understand Title IX is not just about sports. It doesn't take much these days to generate a lawsuit, and that was the point of my post.
No, the criteria are 1. being an athlete and 2. getting good grades.

Reaction Score
I agree 100%. I played a non-revenue sport in college. It was a year round commitment. We were up at 6:00 am in the middle of winter having baseballs hit of a hardwood floor, so that we could practice before class. We sold plasma for money and had engineering students calculate the best pizza value we could get for the little money we had. I have fond memories, but they were not all fun times.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Didn't see this anywhere. Looks like UCONN is going to be one of the universities paying their players/students to get good grades.

Meyers
When I first saw the thread title,
I immediately assumed that we were on the brink of a new scandal
in which players use their new found wealth to pay off professors.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom