Cash for grades | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Cash for grades

Reaction Score
I think rather than paying these athletes even more than their scholarship bonanza, Universities should use that money to lower tuition costs for everyone or, at the very least, use it for needy, disadvantaged students! Athletes, just like everyone else, should not need to be paid for dining something that benefits them already! Oh well, I guess I am not surprised. The apocalypse continues! :rolleyes:
If coaches receive bonuses for their players' academic performance, why shouldnt the players themselves receive such bonuses??

Reaction Score
It’s not really “for good grades”. Students can receive up to @6,000 per year for “performance type awards”. So now schools in the richer conferences are using that label to give kids up to $6000. Look, I know some people think kids are getting too much, but you have to think in a current situation mode. 20 years ago schools werent getting $100 million dollar TV contracts for broadcasting rights of the students playing games.

Im just going to go with what I know about SEC and SC schools in particular. All athletic scholarships are for 4 years as long as you are in good academic standing and have no disciplinary problems. A lot of that TV money goes into facilities. At SC we have built top of the line living quarters with amenities that are like a 5* hotel where most of the athletes live. This year SC was one of the first schools in the nation to implement the $6000 award money. What it does is make every athlete eligible for that money, including walk-ons. The money is capped at $6000 so regardless of what other awards you get there can’t be more money. When I say every atlete is eligible, that includes tennis players, T&F, equestrian, etc. It really is a great recruiting tool as long as we stay in the forefront of that.
I really like this type of incentive for the students. After all, they’re busting their butts studying, prepping for their chosen sport, doing community service, and keeping us fans entertained.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44
Top Bottom