Casey deserves his shot. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Casey deserves his shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bingo!

It amazes me that people don't see what the true problem on this team is; the fact that the OLine isn't functioning properly in the run game or the pass protect. And the RB's aren't good enough to correct for a deficient line. Pretty simple, really...

Our line looked better with the kid from Berlin in there.

Reaction Score
Those pushing to replace Whitmer are basically saying that since we can't change the first six things that are wrong with the offense we might as well try to change the seventh and see if things get better.

Not true. Changing the QB is the most radical change a coach can make. It affects everything.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

Oh yeah? On the 12 yarder, the 6 yarder, or the next four runs that went for a combined 5 yards?

Lyle averaged a yard per carry better, and we STILL only had a combined 47 yards rushing. So feel free to tell me how that OLine looks good again...I'll wait...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Those pushing to replace Whitmer are basically saying that since we can't change the first six things that are wrong with the offense we might as well try to change the seventh and see if things get better.

Whitmer's play deserves to be mentioned in your "first six". He was better last year and that's a concern.

Reaction Score
Oh yeah? On the 12 yarder, the 6 yarder, or the next four runs that went for a combined 5 yards?

Lyle averaged a yard per carry better, and we STILL only had a combined 47 yards rushing. So feel free to tell me how that OLine looks good again...I'll wait...

Max ran with power. He moved the pile when there was nothing there. I think he gets better with more touches.

And good point by you, we lost nothing when Max went in, so why does LM have over 50 carries and Max under 10?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Max ran with power. He moved the pile when there was nothing there. I think he gets better with more touches.

And good point by you, we lost nothing when Max went in, so why does LM have over 50 carries and Max under 10?

Actually, that wasn't my point, but thank you for putting those words in my mouth. We obviously lost 1 yard per carry on average, if you read my post.

But this isn't really about Max, who I think has some good potential and I like that he is in there mixing it up. This is about an OLine which has played brutally bad, and a good QB who is put in a position to have to do it all himself because of that. There is NOTHING to suggest that Casey would do better, and some data already that suggests that he would do worse. End of story.

Reaction Score
Be honest. All he needed to do was not hand them the ball on a silver platter. Not too much to expect. Triple coverage. Triple freaking coverage.

True - hate to put the burden on any kid though. Can't escape fact we have an anemic offense and an undisciplined OL. (Who coaches the OL?) I say try a new QB - we do need some more mobility there and an end to trying to force the ball.

Reaction Score
Take Whitmer's 7 carries for -35 and we ran the ball 18 times for 82 yards. Why is Whitmer attempting to run the read option? Give Cochran a shot.

Reaction Score
If you were at the spring game, and im pretty sure you were Palatine, then you have to remember how slow footed Casey looked. Makes Whitmer look like usain bolt. I'd give him some snaps if we are up comfortably late, but the next two games are winnable.

As far Boyle, I would not advocate playing a,true freshman with the way the line has blocked to date.

Reaction Score
If you were at the spring game, and im pretty sure you were Palatine, then you have to remember how slow footed Casey looked. Makes Whitmer look like usain bolt. I'd give him some snaps if we are up comfortably late, but the next two games are winnable.

As far Boyle, I would not advocate playing a,true freshman with the way the line has blocked to date.

Agree re: Boyle - it would be like putting a freshly minted Navy Ensign in charge of air traffic control at Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Did anyone else notice the one time they pulled the guard and ran student body right that it worked pretty damn well? Then was never seen again.

I still think this is more a coaching issue than a talent issue. Maybe these guys can't pass protect, but they are big and fast enough to help us run the ball.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Agree re: Boyle - it would be like putting a freshly minted Navy Ensign in charge of air traffic control at Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941.

ONTH, it could be the start of a legend. Remember when our incumbant QB quit because he was afraid he was going to get killed behind a bad OL. The true frosh took over during the year and did pretty well. The next year we started with a good QB.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Obviously Whitmer isn't the only issue on this team...we all know that. And...he may be the best option back there. But...why do you blindly trot out the same QB every week when it is obvious that he doesn't make good decisions under pressure and he takes too many sacks? In a controlled environment, let's give Casey a few series to see if he has the leadership to make the team better. If it doesn't work...go back to Whitmer. They still have the whole AAC schedule to go.

Reaction Score
This O has a lot of problems that I am not sure Boyle corrects. My problem with CW is that I know he will make a couple of mistakes during a game that will cost us - I was actually ok w/the INT as the Mich kid made a helluva play. But you know he will turn the ball over EVERY game, period. And he makes too many bad decisions during the course of a game - missing open receivers, happy feet, holding ball too long, and not recognizing time/place or down/distance.

Did he lose the game? No. Did he win it? Nope. Would Boyle be a better option? WTF knows.

Having seen this team grow since game 1, I still hold out hope of a bowl game and would not change the QB yet. But ask me Sunday, because if we don't beat UB, we need to make across the board changes and go w/a youth movement that allows the kids to gain experience and the next staff to have game film on kids they'll need to go to war with.

Reaction Score
Whitmer's play deserves to be mentioned in your "first six". He was better last year and that's a concern.

He was better last year? When he didn't throw a Touchdown pass for the first three weeks?

Reaction Score
The grass is always greener... and the #2 QB (or #3 sometimes) is perfect because he hasn't made any mistakes yet and hasn't had to deal with an inexperienced lineman taking the place of Kevin Friend. The #2 and #3 QBs will remain perfect until they have to play an actual game.

Well we know Whitmer can't deliver under the current circumstances. That is painfully obvious. Until those circumstances change, there is no harm in giving someone else a shot here and there.

Reaction Score

Agree 100% Max runs north to south and McCoombs runs east to west. It's about time Max gets some more carries.

Reactions: THC
Reaction Score
I only see Casey getting behind center in an actual contest in one of two scenarios:
a. Whitmer gets injured
b. Whitmer single handedly gives away the Buffalo game with multiple int's & bad decisions. I'm counting on the Huskies getting their first victory of the season this weekend, & if Chandler screws it up, it's time to shut him down.
I generally agree but I doubt Casey ever takes a snap except in mop up or if Whitmer is out for a few plays. If a decision is made to change quarterbacks this year for any lengthy period of time, the change will be to Boyle. Cochran is just not that talented.

Reaction Score
I generally agree but I doubt Casey ever takes a snap except in mop up or if Whitmer is out for a few plays. If a decision is made to change quarterbacks this year for any lengthy period of time, the change will be to Boyle. Cochran is just not that talented.

Not that talented? What are you a member of the press corp? The kid was one of the best High school QBs in the history of the state. Good grief. Give him a chance before you totally diss him.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
There is no reason to think that Tyler Murphy was better than Jeff Driskell either. We saw how that turned out. The team is 0-3 and the QB is known for throwing INTs. Not just this year...but last year....and in JuCo.

Cochrane may be worse...but there is only one way to find out. And if he is? Then put Whitmer back in. I like Whitmer...I just don't think he has good pocket presence. He is the wrong QB to have back there with a shaky offensive line. He gets happy feet and makes bad decisions.

They need to coach him how to step up into the pocket. On one of the late killer sacks, the guy coming off the edge was (appropirately) pushed deep behind the pocket, and nobody else on the D-Line was doing anything. Whitmer had a huge empty pocket, but instead of stepping up, he spun backwards and to the left into the only defender anywhere near him. Had he calmly stepped up he would have had plenty of time. He seems very nervous back there, and needs to learn how to handle the pressure, step up instead of turning and running backwards, and deliver the ball or throw it away.

Reaction Score
I know some of you are thinking..."That Murphy kid from CT stepped in at Florida and had a great game".

Give me Florida's OL, their coaches and their WR's, and I know nothing about any of them, but give me them and Boyle or CC goes in vs Buffalo and we never look back.

But we ain't Florida guys....it would be a nightmare as we watch a new QB go through the growing pain all QB's go through...unless maybe you are a Florida or Texas A&M.

Always a chance you ruin their confidence and set them way back as well.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I know some of you are thinking..."That Murphy kid from CT stepped in at Florida and had a great game".

Give me Florida's OL, their coaches and their WR's, and I know nothing about any of them, but give me them and Boyle or CC goes in vs Buffalo and we never look back.

But we ain't Florida guys....it would be a nightmare as we watch a new QB go through the growing pain all QB's go through...unless maybe you are a Florida or Texas A&M.

Always a chance you ruin their confidence and set them way back as well.

Actually...Florida was missing 3 starters on ther OLine...and I might take Phillips and Davis over the Gators top 2 receivers.

The reason I brought up the change in Florida is Driskell was doing exactly what Whitmer does...locking on one receiver...getting happy feet..throwing interceptions...taking sacks. Murphy came in and did none of that. Same offensive line and same receivers. And..I think Cochrane had a lot more fanfare than Murphy in CT. Murphy was a 2 star that UConn didn't ever offer.

Like I said...give it shot...if it doesn't work..go back to Whitmer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom