Casey deserves his shot. | The Boneyard

Casey deserves his shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Whitmer isn't getting it done. Boyle is still wearing a redshirt.

We were excited to get Casey. Let's see what he can do. Of course, at the glacial pace that Pasqualoni makes decision, it will probably take him a few more games watching Whitmer to make a move.

Reaction Score
Whitmer isn't getting it done. Boyle is still wearing a redshirt.

We were excited to get Casey. Let's see what he can do. Of course, at the glacial pace that Pasqualoni makes decision, it will probably take him a few more games watching Whitmer to make a move.
Agree... while Whitmer had his good moments, we all knew there would be a few 'smh' moments. Let's try Casey.

Reaction Score
I only see Casey getting behind center in an actual contest in one of two scenarios:
a. Whitmer gets injured
b. Whitmer single handedly gives away the Buffalo game with multiple int's & bad decisions. I'm counting on the Huskies getting their first victory of the season this weekend, & if Chandler screws it up, it's time to shut him down.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
As I said in another thread...I really think if they put in Casey it should be planned. Not when Whitmer gets injured or UConn is losing or winning (yeah right) 56 to 0. Give him some reps with the 1s this week and let him have a couple series against Buffalo. Hopefully you get a sense of how he leads the team and minimally he will get some experience.

It's hard to imagine a QB who was so successful in HS in CT would be so bad that he doesn't deserve a chance to play when the QB position is so shaky right now.

Reaction Score
There is no reason to think Casey would be any better than Whitmer, and there is plenty of reason to think he won't be as good.

Buffalo is a winnable game, let's give ourselves the best chance to win and stay with Whitmer.

Reaction Score
There is no reason to think Casey would be any better than Whitmer, and there is plenty of reason to think he won't be as good.

Buffalo is a winnable game, let's give ourselves the best chance to win and stay with Whitmer.

If we play like we did last year against them (on offense) we won't win... Don't care how well our D plays... If Casey can command the offense, TRUST his guys (other WRs) to catch the football then he definiitely deserves a shot. Whitmer should get benched for a series if he throws into 1 on 4 coverage... There were 2 other instances where he could've easily been picked off vs. Michigan too that I saw after re-watching. That is just inexcusable at this level of football. Still like the guy but if he does that, and benching him a series doesn't light a fire under his butt then you gotta give the next guy ( IMO Cochran should be the guy, not Boyle ) a shot at leading our offense.

Reaction Score

Status quo, yeah, that working great.

If Whitmer were our best possible chance to win, we would have a victory by now.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

There is no reason to think that Tyler Murphy was better than Jeff Driskell either. We saw how that turned out. The team is 0-3 and the QB is known for throwing INTs. Not just this year...but last year....and in JuCo.

Cochrane may be worse...but there is only one way to find out. And if he is? Then put Whitmer back in. I like Whitmer...I just don't think he has good pocket presence. He is the wrong QB to have back there with a shaky offensive line. He gets happy feet and makes bad decisions.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
This is purely a gut feeling (and I hope to hell that I am wrong) but I think that if Whitmer struggles at all in Buffalo early in the game, Boyle will come in.

I believe that P promised Boyle he would not redshirt him (I have no proof this was part of Boyle's recruitment but this happens more often than many realize and I believe it happened with Boyle) and I also believe that P is now looking for some form of lightning in a bottle and sees Boyle sparking the offense as the only thing that can save this season.

I think the only hope there is that Boyle does redshirt this season is in Manuel has already directed P to not play him under any circumstances (I doubt WM has done this) and made it clear that he would view defying that directive as insubordination and void his contract (a very drastic step that few would consider).

I don't see how much better we could be this year with a true frosh vs Whitmer and I'm not sure if there will be measurable difference between a RS frosh Boyle next season vs a true soph with nine games & eight starts (if he remains healthy) behind a questionable line.

If we hadn't lost Lagow I would be far more flexible in playing a true frosh QB but I see this as stealing from our future to try to make the present look slightly less repulsive.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
It absolutely astounds me how much hatred Whitmer gets on this board! It really does. If everyone can do me a solid favor, watch the replay of the game (I did; if you don't have it taped, it will be on SNY tomorrow), and watch each offensive play. He made a lot...I mean, A LOT....of great throws in the Michigan game. Good timing on the release in the routes, good zip, and hit the receivers in stride. He had a couple of balls dropped on him, and he had the Davis catch erroneously wiped out.

The kid made one horribly bad decision all game. One. I don't want to hear about the three extra yards he could have had with his feet late in the game; he was trying to make a play in the air and didn't. He's a good QB, and if we could solidify that damned right side of the line, he would be an even better one! And Phillips, Davis, and Foxx are going to all have big years this year because of him...period.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Oh, and by the way....the kid is doing all this with ZERO run game. ZERO f#$king run game. 50 or so yards a night. My dear God, what the hell do you people want this kid to do? Does he have to be Michael Vick??? Could it be that he makes some bad decisions / INT's because he feels like he has to do the whole friggin' thing himself? Hmm....

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
So now a second thread about the QB. Yes, he has some limitations and yes it was a bad interception. It happens, but the QB play is about ninth on our list of problems. Let's not get distracted by the most knee jerk of FB excuses.

Just for fun:

1. The HC
2. The OL coach
3. The O-line can't block
4. We can't run the ball
5. We can't stop the outside run
6. The LB play isn't good enough
7. We can't pressure the QB
8. We can't return punts
9. The QB throws too many Int's.
10. There are too many blown assignments in coverage.

Reaction Score
It absolutely astounds me how much hatred Whitmer gets on this board! It really does. If everyone can do me a solid favor, watch the replay of the game (I did; if you don't have it taped, it will be on SNY tomorrow), and watch each offensive play. He made a lot...I mean, A LOT....of great throws in the Michigan game. Good timing on the release in the routes, good zip, and hit the receivers in stride. He had a couple of balls dropped on him, and he had the Davis catch erroneously wiped out.

The kid made one horribly bad decision all game. One. I don't want to hear about the three extra yards he could have had with his feet late in the game; he was trying to make a play in the air and didn't. He's a good QB, and if we could solidify that damned right side of the line, he would be an even better one! And Phillips, Davis, and Foxx are going to all have big years this year because of him...period.

If you think he only made on bad decision Saturday, you must have been watching on a satellite dish from Mars. I will grant he made a few nice passes. In fact the one he threw at the end on the 4th and 29 was great throw even if it was short. However, he made a multitude of bad passes, threw passes he should have thrown away, threw away balls when he should have run, always manages to run right into the defenders when he scrambles, and threw into coverage a bunch of times besides the glaring interception. He has no offensive line and running game, I'll give him that. However, he also has no field presence (in basketball we call it court presence). He's had his 15 minutes of fame. I'm not saying bench him, but it's time to give someone else some snaps as well as him. There is nothing to lose. The specter of him being the only QB next season with any experience makes me shudder.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
If you think he only made on bad decision Saturday, you must have been watching on a satellite dish from Mars. I will grant he made a few nice passes. In fact the one he threw at the end on the 4th and 29 was great throw even if it was short. However, he made a multitude of bad passes, threw passes he should have thrown away, threw away balls when he should have run, always manages to run right into the defenders when he scrambles, and threw into coverage a bunch of times besides the glaring interception. He has no offensive line and running game, I'll give him that. However, he also has no field presence (in basketball we call it court presence). He's had his 15 minutes of fame. I'm not saying bench him, but it's time to give someone else some snaps as well as him. There is nothing to lose. The specter of him being the only QB next season with any experience makes me shudder.

Oh how nice of you, that you'll "give" him that he has no offensive line, no running game, and he made a few good throws. I'm sure Chandler appreciates you giving him that.

My satellite from Mars tells me that the game will be replayed on SNY tomorrow, and I suggest you check it out and be honest with the assessment. Or not. I no longer care, because some people on this board can't look at certain subjects objectively...

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
The grass is always greener... and the #2 QB (or #3 sometimes) is perfect because he hasn't made any mistakes yet and hasn't had to deal with an inexperienced lineman taking the place of Kevin Friend. The #2 and #3 QBs will remain perfect until they have to play an actual game.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The kid made one horribly bad decision all game. One.

If you define "horribly bad decision" as one that directly cost us the game, you may be right. But he made plenty of other just plain bad decisions. Getting sacked for over 10 yards late when we were in field goal range was another killer. Game would have been tied. And he did the same thing last week!

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
If you define "horribly bad decision" as one that directly cost us the game, you may be right. But he made plenty of other just plain bad decisions. Getting sacked for over 10 yards late when we were in field goal range was another killer. Game would have been tied. And he did the same thing last week!

Yes. That play was the only thing that cost us the game. Not the fact that we have no running game, and we needed our defense to score in order to put us in a position to win. Yes, it was only Chandler's pick. Good call. Great analysis. Thanks for that...

Reaction Score
There is nothing to lose. ]

Not true, there is plenty to lose. The next two games are winnable. In 3 weeks I wan't to be 1-0 and tied for first in the AAC.

I can't believe some people believe elevating our 3rd string QB will lead to an improvement. That is a wishful thinking fantasy. I'm all for playing Boyle if he is outperforming Whitmer in practice, but I doubt that is happening.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yes. That play was the only thing that cost us the game. Not the fact that we have no running game, and we needed our defense to score in order to put us in a position to win. Yes, it was only Chandler's pick. Good call. Great analysis. Thanks for that...

Be honest. All he needed to do was not hand them the ball on a silver platter. Not too much to expect. Triple coverage. Triple freaking coverage.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I'd say our inability to run the ball cost us the game.

Bingo!

It amazes me that people don't see what the true problem on this team is; the fact that the OLine isn't functioning properly in the run game or the pass protect. And the RB's aren't good enough to correct for a deficient line. Pretty simple, really...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Be honest. All he needed to do was not hand them the ball on a silver platter. Not too much to expect. Triple coverage. Triple freaking coverage.

How many rushing TD's did we have on Saturday? How many throwing TD's? How many INT's? And you still think HE'S the reason we lost the game??? Okay...you win...

Reaction Score
Using that same logic, the Giants should replace Eli with their backup.

Silliness on your part. Eli has proved over many seasons he can get the job done.

Whitmer's record is exactly the opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom