Cars.... | The Boneyard

Cars....

Reaction Score
I have a 2019 Genesis G70 AWD that I like a lot....(It is loaded...HUD, air conditioned seats, tech gadgetry..) I am now in the looking process to trade my second car, an Audi Q5 for a Genesis G80.

Anyone have any knowledge of downsides of a G80...3.8

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I have a 2019 Genesis G70 AWD that I like a lot....(It is loaded...HUD, air conditioned seats, tech gadgetry..) I am now in the looking process to trade my second car, an Audi Q5 for a Genesis G80.

Don't know of any downsides of the G80 other than it probably will depreciate more quickly than its Japanese or German counterparts.

I have a Hyundai Genesis, the predecessor to the G80 and it's a great car. The bang for the buck is great and it's still a quality car in terms of reliability and performance.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Don’t buy sedans new, unless you get a massive deal, well under invoice. There is minimal demand. That’s even more the case for a car that size. There will be bargains on the lightly used market. Can check the Kia K9000 as well. Surprises me someone your age wants a sedan. No love for the GV80?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Thanks....for advice...made an offer on a lightly used G80...low miles, good Carfax....looks like we have a deal...We needed a car with a comfortable back seat for taking friends around...

Good call then. I was thinking I’d rather drive an MB E350 (rented an E250 in France), but the backseat isn’t great. Does a G80 have more room than a Q5?

Reaction Score
Good call then. I was thinking I’d rather drive an MB E350 (rented an E250 in France), but the backseat isn’t great. Does a G80 have more room than a Q5?

A little more leg room...and quieter....Personally, I think the nose of a Lexus is as ugly as an Edsel....we drove the Merc C300...and E350...back seat room was not adequate for hauling friends in the C series...the E was better but the G80 felt right.

Reaction Score
Do not buy a German car that is not under warranty.

Amen....the cost to "repair" the sunroof noise would be astronomical...dealer said sunroof had to be removed, new tracks installed, sunroof reseated, etc...and not covered....

Have had, as one of my "3rd cars" ( a fun car rather than everyday driver), a Mercedes SLK...my "hairdresser's car"...got out of it before things started going wrong.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Do not buy a German car that is not under warranty.

I've got one. Had no issues with my last one. Nothing but oil changes and brake pads. But...the local independent used car seller has a BMW certified mechanic and a fully equipped repair center, with hourly rates less than half the dealer. It was a smart investment because the sentiment you expressed is pretty common.

Oddly, our CPO Lexus RX was by far the worst car we've had from a repair standpoint.

Reaction Score
Don’t buy sedans new, unless you get a massive deal, well under invoice. There is minimal demand. That’s even more the case for a car that size. There will be bargains on the lightly used market. Can check the Kia K9000 as well. Surprises me someone your age wants a sedan. No love for the GV80?

My age...LOL?

You'll learn that your head doesn't keep track...I have always loved cars....and my friends think that I must have a car lot...

SUV's are handy beasts as are trucks...but for driving fun..not so much.

I rotate a car out every two years and one in...and keep a third "fun" car...and sometimes a 4th.

My "fun" car right now is a restomod 1972 El Camino SS bought by phone from Mecum and shipped in from Scottsdale....crate motor...put together by Mach Development Racing Engines of Phoenix....balanced, blueprinted and fuel injected...modernized suspension, power steering, discs, air, etc,,,.

But I have also had in the last six years...a Merc SLK, a Wrangler, two Mazda CX5's, a Volvo V60, Audi Q5...and a car my wife liked (a Chrysler Crossfire convertible).

And of course...the Harleys....7 over the last 20 years...now phased out of the bike riding stage due to a health concern.

We now have friends that have retired that we take with us as we roam vineyards and breweries, listen to live music, travel the local mountain area...so I need a car with a decent back seat....but still makes me smile to drive.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
My age...LOL?

You'll learn that your head doesn't keep track...I have always loved cars....and my friends think that I must have a car lot...

SUV's are handy beasts as are trucks...but for driving fun..not so much.

I rotate a car out every two years and one in...and keep a third "fun" car...and sometimes a 4th.

My "fun" car right now is a restomod 1972 El Camino SS bought by phone from Mecum and shipped in from Scottsdale....crate motor...put together by Mach Development Racing Engines of Phoenix....balanced, blueprinted and fuel injected...modernized suspension, power steering, discs, air, etc,,,.

But I have also had in the last six years...a Merc SLK, a Wrangler, two Mazda CX5's, a Volvo V60, Audi Q5...and a car my wife liked (a Chrysler Crossfire convertible).

And of course...the Harleys....7 over the last 20 years...now phased out of the bike riding stage due to a health concern.

We now have friends that have retired that we take with us as we roam vineyards and breweries, listen to live music, travel the local mountain area...so I need a car with a decent back seat....but still makes me smile to drive.

I totally get it. If I get a fun to drive car again it will likely be a convertible. I don't fit very well in an MX-5 though. I hit my head getting into sedans, and struggle with the low seating position. The age was just a reference to most people who get even to my age preferring the ease of entry of an SUV, along with the visibility.

You sure go through a lot of cars!

Reaction Score
I do go through a bunch...my current G70 and G80 could be my last...when you get to be my age, your horizons shorten up.

And, yes, you have to be flexible, tuck your head in to get into a sports sedan like the G70...and the seats are low, and it is impossible to go through a drive through ATM because of the low stance and smallish slanted window...same with the Volvo V60.....

But the G70 is a blast on a mountain road....my wife's only complaint...."Maybe you should have gotten it in a screaming yellow so that they could find our bodies down the mountain."

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We drove a G80 before we bought our current car....

Son, that is not a particularly sporty ride. It's comfortable, but it's not at the pointy end of the sporty stick.

(We bought something even less sporty....)

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I've got one. Had no issues with my last one. Nothing but oil changes and brake pads. But...the local independent used car seller has a BMW certified mechanic and a fully equipped repair center, with hourly rates less than half the dealer. It was a smart investment because the sentiment you expressed is pretty common.
Same here. My first favorite car—and one that I will purchase again when I find one I want for a decent deal—was a 1974 BMW 2002 stick and that got me hooked. I loved that car and drove it into the ground; it literally died while parked on my father’s garden. He still loves to tell the story of how I made more than I paid for it by advertising it for parts in the Bargain News. I was on a semester abroad in the Netherlands and gave our home number in the ad. He basically ran a small junkyard for me by arranging for people to some buy parts, and then finally one guy paid my purchase price again to tow it away.

Anyway, with my first big verdict, after paying off my and my wife’s student loans, I bought a used 540i manual and it’s still probably my favorite car for sentimental reasons. Then we moved to the house we have now and the driveway is a 30 degree angle, which was terrible for a rear wheel drive car. It was fine in the snow otherwise if you got snow tires and knew how to drive a stick, but there was no getting out of the driveway from a standing start so I had to trade it in, which broke my heart. I got a used Audi A6 and thought it would be a disappointment but I grew to love that, too, for different reasons.

Both of those cars were certified pre-owned from dealers and still under a very good warranty when I bought them; and like @Fishy, I quickly learned what happens when they are out of warranty. Then, like you, I found a good, reasonable local mechanic to work on each and really had no issues with either car.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Same here. My first favorite car—and one that I will purchase again when I find one I want for a decent deal—was a 1974 BMW 2002 stick and that got me hooked. I loved that car and drove it into the ground; it literally died while parked on my father’s garden. He still loves to tell the story of how I made more than I paid for it by advertising it for parts in the Bargain News. I was on a semester abroad in the Netherlands and gave our home number in the ad. He basically ran a small junkyard for me by arranging for people to some buy parts, and then finally one guy paid my purchase price again to tow it away.

Anyway, with my first big verdict, after paying off my and my wife’s student loans, I bought a used 540i manual and it’s still probably my favorite car for sentimental reasons. Then we moved to the house we have now and the driveway is a 30 degree angle, which was terrible for a rear wheel drive car. It was fine in the snow otherwise if you got snow tires and knew how to drive a stick, but there was no getting out of the driveway from a standing start so I had to trade it in, which broke my heart. I got a used Audi A6 and thought it would be a disappointment but I grew to love that, too, for different reasons.

Both of those cars were certified pre-owned from dealers and still under a very good warranty when I bought them; and like @Fishy, I quickly learned what happens when they are out of warranty. Then, like you, I found a good, reasonable local mechanic to work on each and really had no issues with either car.

I was later to BMWs. A 2007 328xi. But that straight six is legendary. Just a gem. Might be the best engine the ever made. Unfortunately our local roads are broken and the ride quality nearly broke me over time. I would hit the bump stops constantly. Bought a 2017 CPO 340si two years ago which was screaming fast. Dyno on it is way beyond the rated HP. But I developed sciatica or some such and was in excruciating pain after 25 minutes driving it. Traded it back to the same local shop for an X5. I also have a steep driveway. So I gave up fun, though the X5 is not slow, for really tall windows and a big moonroof. I treat it like a monstrous convertible of sorts, or a less clumsy 4Runner. It is nice to effortlessly drive over curbs to park at the rail trail and it swallows golf clubs with ease. Head’s up display is nice. Given I work from home now, it should last a long time.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I was later to BMWs. A 2007 328xi. But that straight six is legendary. Just a gem. Might be the best engine the ever made. Unfortunately our local roads are broken and the ride quality nearly broke me over time. I would hit the bump stops constantly. Bought a 2017 CPO 340si two years ago which was screaming fast. Dyno on it is way beyond the rated HP. But I developed sciatica or some such and was in excruciating pain after 25 minutes driving it. Traded it back to the same local shop for an X5. I also have a steep driveway. So I gave up fun, though the X5 is not slow, for really tall windows and a big moonroof. I treat it like a monstrous convertible of sorts, or a less clumsy 4Runner. It is nice to effortlessly drive over curbs to park at the rail trail and it swallows golf clubs with ease. Head’s up display is nice. Given I work from home now, it should last a long time.
Yeah I am back in the SUV now with an Explorer ST as my company car and I have absolutely no issues. One of the nicest and most able cars I‘ve ever owned.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I was later to BMWs.
Meant to mention that I came into the 1974 2002 as a fluke in 1986. I think I have told this story her before, but my stepbrother had purchased it through the Bargain News from a young woman who turned out to be Harry Reasoner’s daughter. She sold it cheap because the air conditioner stopped working and she didn’t realize it was a relatively inexpensive fix. My brother enjoyed it for a few months and then I think he must have fallen asleep on the highway because he got sideswiped by an 18-wheeler along the passenger side and it had the associated dents and circular tire marks, so he sold it to me for $500. I souped it up with an Alpine stereo and 6x9 box speakers, and it had a crank sun roof so I was in heaven because it still drove fine and I couldn’t care less about the body damage.

I brought it out to Martha’s Vineyard, where I was bartending for the summer, and actually ended up having Harry Reasoner come to the restaurant where I was working. I sent over a drink with his waitress and told her to say it was from the bartender who was driving his daughter’s BMW. He came up to the bar after they finished up and couldn’t have been more gracious or funny about how I ended up with the car, and he shook his head when I told him that the A/C was just a minor fix.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Any late model BMW will be a complete nightmare. They seem to be in a competition with Audi to over-engineer simple functions to ensure their failure.

Lease one and give it back after three years.

Reaction Score
We drove a G80 before we bought our current car....

Son, that is not a particularly sporty ride. It's comfortable, but it's not at the pointy end of the sporty stick.

(We bought something even less sporty....)

No..The G80 is a comfortable, take your friends out car...but try the G70 for spirited driving, my boy. Of course it really is a two seater...the back seat is not meant for adult humans.

The G70 is a hoot to drive on a curvy road...365 HP, Brembo's. .....stomp on the turbo coming out of the apex and it's "wheee"...

I have the G80 as a comfortable, quiet highway cruiser...and the G70 as my other ride....and when I want to go retro...I can can throw on a John Deere cap and lay down rubber lines with the El Camino....as good as the modernized suspension is on the Camino, it is not a car for a curvy road...but fun to roll into the Cruise-In....for everything there is a season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Any late model BMW will be a complete nightmare. They seem to be in a competition with Audi to over-engineer simple functions to ensure their failure.

I don't understand Audi....to change the fan speed...you have to hit one button that changes a multi function control to "fan" from "heat/cool temperature"...and then use that second control to change the fan speed....

So much easier in a car where you reach out to one control and move the setting..

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Nah. Maybe it was once true, the early versions of iDrive certainly had a bad rep. My 2007 was not so equipped and suffered no faults over 4+ years post warranty. Only had the X5 for 16 months, but no problems so far. Our 2007 Lexus Rx350 sucked, because Toyota under engineered it. Turned a Camry into an SUV and left most things the same. Brakes way too small, suspension components, none of it was built for a car that heavy.

Among the mass produced brands, I don’t think there really are any truly bad cars anymore. Remember what it was like when cars used to overheat on the highway all the time? When cars needed regular tuneups and you worried if it would start in the morning? Spark plugs last 100k miles now.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Nah. Maybe it was once true, the early versions of iDrive certainly had a bad rep. My 2007 was not so equipped and suffered no faults over 4+ years post warranty. Only had the X5 for 16 months, but no problems so far. Our 2007 Lexus Rx350 sucked, because Toyota under engineered it. Turned a Camry into an SUV and left most things the same. Brakes way too small, suspension components, none of it was built for a car that heavy.

Among the mass produced brands, I don’t think there really are any truly bad cars anymore. Remember what it was like when cars used to overheat on the highway all the time? When cars needed regular tuneups and you worried if it would start in the morning? Spark plugs last 100k miles now.

2007 is not a late model and largely avoided the electrical shenanigans endemic to the breed now.

You’re using you experience with a horse drawn carriage to tell me why my space ship is more reliable than it is.

Reaction Score
Consumer Reports rated the 2017 BMW series 3 a 1/5 for In car Electronics Reliability....and Owner Satisfaction as 2/5

I was looking at that car at the time...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom