Caroline out for the season | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Caroline out for the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Geno has already stated that they have made changes. What more do you want them to do? No one can predict where and when an injury can happen. A friend of mine (who was in her early 20s!) stepped off a curb wrong one time. Broke her leg and ankle in multiple spots and had to have steel pins put in. Now factor in just simply playing the game of basketball.

Say for example, you're defending the basket and a player comes crashing into you while trying to drive to the basket/score a foul. Say you're stepping up to take a shot and you land wrong. It can and does happen all the time. Hell, even in sports were people wear lots of protective equipment there's still so many injuries -- look at how the NFL has been absolutely PLAGUED with injuries the past few years. And that's professionals! You play sports -- especially contact sports -- and injuries are going to happen.

Some get lucky and rarely if ever suffer any kind of injury. Others are not so lucky. Sometimes those who get injured once end up becoming more injury prone (particularly in the same area as the original injury).

The only way to ensure having no basketball injuries would be to stop playing basketball.
Well no one said there was a way to ensure no injuries. There's always going to be injuries. The idea is to prevent or work to prevent as many as possible. And if there are, improve recovery time. And having what 11 major injuries (i.e. players out for 1/2 to a full season) in the past 3 years isn't doing a very good job of it.

I mean if you were getting sick all of the time, you just gonna go "geez, bad luck". Or are you gonna go see a doctor and try to figure out what's going on? Make some changes if needed?

The idea is to have fewer injuries than most of the other programs in the nation..... not more.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I don't believe anyone said it was the schools fault. AND, you need to follow the thread when you are replying. (it veers sometimes - well probably more than sometimes) My "best practices" wasn't talking specifically about CFD or her head.
AND I was trying to get the thread back to talking about Caroline, which is virtually impossible.

Reaction Score
Well no one said there was a way to ensure no injuries. There's always going to be injuries. The idea is to prevent or work to prevent as many as possible. And if there are, improve recovery time. And having what 11 major injuries (i.e. players out for 1/2 to a full season) in the past 3 years isn't doing a very good job of it.

I mean if you were getting sick all of the time, you just gonna go "geez, bad luck". Or are you gonna go see a doctor and try to figure out what's going on? Make some changes if needed?

The idea is to have fewer injuries than most of the other programs in the nation..... not more.
Some people tend to get sick (I'm talking colds/flu) more than others, even taking into account the same living conditions/age/health/etc. Sometimes it really is just the luck of the draw. And people who are immunocompromised DO take extra measures to protect themselves more than others and there's still no guarantee that they won't still get sick because of factors outside of their control.

Again, if you suffer an injury while playing basketball, you can do everything in your power to rest and recover and hopefully avoid re-injury in the future. But there is absolutely no way to guarantee for that you'll never be injured while playing again. You can take any number of steps to potentially reduce future injury, but the chances will always be there.

TCU literally had to take walk-on players because of a rash of injuries. We are not even remotely the only program in the US that has multiple injured players. It's only magnified here because it's UConn and this is a UConn board. And need I remind that we have had multiple years where UConn suffered minor to no injuries while other programs (like ND) had the worst injury luck.

Geno and Co. have done and will continue to do everything in their power to stave off injuries, I'm certain. The players and their parents will be doing everything possible. I don't know what else you want them to do. There is no program in the country that wants to see players go down -- whether they be D1 or D3 or competing for a title or not. Of course everyone everywhere is going to be trying to prevent injuries.

Reaction Score
The right call. I’m hoping that Carol can take the next several months and focus solely on her recovery journey, can’t wait to have her back and, hopefully, healthier than ever next season.
I hope to be wrong, but I don't think Caroline can or should play again. It seems to me that, even with a full season off, she can be thrown right back into her pain and disorientation with one blow to her head or body. To a player who has not had her run of consecutive concussions ( and other maladies ) many of the incidental blows during a game ( elbows, shoulders, the ball itself, had contact with the floor ) seem inconsequential, almost unnoticed. But with Caroline, a minor touch from the ball can set off chaos in her brain.

I fear that will remain the case. And you can't play this game without a lot of physical contact.

Reaction Score
Seems like clearly the right move, will be able to maintain her eligibility from this season as well. Best case scenario we get two more seasons of a healthy CD starting in 2024-25.
Is there a significance to now declaring Caroline out for the season? Since apparently she sort of played in 4 games, was she or is she now a medical redshirt for 2023-2034? When someone suffers an injury that is not on any chart for diagnosis, treatment or cure, how is it determined that she will play in the future? How will her roster spot and scholarship be handled moving forward? There has been much conjecture and contemplation regarding the future for her, most of it coming from a lack of information (privacy, I guess}, and looks like we are in for more of the same.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Is there a significance to now declaring Caroline out for the season? Since apparently she sort of played in 4 games, was she or is she now a medical redshirt for 2023-2034? When someone suffers an injury that is not on any chart for diagnosis, treatment or cure, how is it determined that she will play in the future? How will her roster spot and scholarship be handled moving forward? There has been much conjecture and contemplation regarding the future for her, most of it coming from a lack of information (privacy, I guess}, and looks like we are in for more of the same.
Closure for her, the team, fa,s, media, etc. Hopefully ends the incessant questions. Whatever happens next season, will happen next season. Lets the team focus on next game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom