Caroline may not start?! | The Boneyard

Caroline may not start?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
See No Caroline?! for a report on "no comment!" Perhaps Caroline may only see limited playing at least initially. Will she start? Can she start? Will she have enough real practice to start? I'm thinking very limited time until January.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
When you tear your ACL 3 times, it would be silly to fully exert yourself before January or even February when the end goal is a NC. Geno knows what he is doing and will push her just as hard as he can without risking further injury (as far as you can reasonably foresee the risk of injury).

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
See No Caroline?! for a report on "no comment!" Perhaps Caroline may only see limited playing at least initially. Will she start? Can she start? Will she have enough real practice to start? I'm thinking very limited time until January.
Based on that blog entry? It's more like - they don't know so you are guessing.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Its speculation yes, but I'm not gonna worry with it. Geno and crew know what they are doing and have been down this road before with ACL injuries. Caroline also has Shea Ralph who has been in the same situation with knee injuries before in her ear. She will be just fine and we shouldnt worry.

I never expected her to start anyway. ;)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Big time over reaction to no news.

Reaction Score
Is it not instructive to see that the reporter who supposedly covers UConn women's basketball has not even driven all the way from Hartford to Storrs to see for himself?

Reaction Score
When you tear your ACL 3 times, it would be silly to fully exert yourself before January or even February when the end goal is a NC.

Caroline will be fully exerting herself from the first day of the season to the last - assuming no further injury. The question is whether she regains her former quickness and cutting ability.

Reaction Score
Caroline on the court will be a bonus no matter how many minutes she plays for.

Reaction Score
I think you have to take it very slow with Caroline. It is much better to err on the side of caution. We would all rather have Caroline for March and April then to have her lost once again to an early season injury.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
exactly. as someone else pointed out, coming off 3 ACL's, u err on the side of caution. in a way i see her like Brit Hunter - not still in a lot of pain, but in that Geno has the depth to play CD only as many minutes as she can handle. no more than that tho. not saying her leadership and skills aren't needed, but he can start Banks or KML i'm thinking he's leaning towards banks at this point.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Big time over reaction to no news.
Then this thread belongs on the realignment board.:)

I want this kid to have a great season. She is Shea number 2. But they will be cautious with her.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Then this thread belongs on the realignment board.:)

I want this kid to have a great season. She is Shea number 2. But they will be cautious with her.
LOL

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I think you have to take it very slow with Caroline. It is much better to err on the side of caution. We would all rather have Caroline for March and April then to have her lost once again to an early season injury.
And what exactly does that mean? Don't play her until January? Only 10 minutes a game? 15? Sit her every other game? Play her twice a week max?

You play her what she is capable of playing. And we don't have a clue what that is.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
exactly. as someone else pointed out, coming off 3 ACL's, u err on the side of caution. in a way i see her like Brit Hunter - not still in a lot of pain, but in that Geno has the depth to play CD only as many minutes as she can handle. no more than that tho. not saying her leadership and skills aren't needed, but he can start Banks or KML i'm thinking he's leaning towards banks at this point.
So, he's leaning towards starting Banks? I assume you are basing this on the italy trip?

Really?

Reaction Score
When you tear your ACL 3 times, it would be silly to fully exert yourself before January or even February when the end goal is a NC. Geno knows what he is doing and will push her just as hard as he can without risking further injury (as far as you can reasonably foresee the risk of injury).

I don't know what you mean by "fully exerting" yourself. If she plays, she will be expected to go 100%. The only possible issue would be limiting minutes if there are potential issues associated with longer playing times.

Reaction Score

She's not a "bonus" if you wanted the team to have a shot at a title. She is needed.

Reaction Score
And what exactly does that mean? Don't play her until January? Only 10 minutes a game? 15? Sit her every other game? Play her twice a week max?

You play her what she is capable of playing. And we don't have a clue what that is.

Yes, I agree that you play Caroline when she is capable of playing, but you still have to be cautious that you don't play her to many minutes. Why risk another injury in meaningless games. Play her more minutes when she is needed.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
She's not a "bonus" if you wanted the team to have a shot at a title. She is needed.
My sentiment before the season starts. I kept thinking all last season what would that team have done if she were healthy. Not that the accomplishments were miniscule.

Reaction Score

I was also thinking of the Brit Hunter comparison, but to me it indicates that even if Caroline plays limited minutes (probably dictated by Rosemary Ragle, who seems to be the only person allowed to dictate anything basketball-related to Geno), she will likely start the game and the second half, after a structured warm up and preparation, rather than coming in cold off the bench.

Reaction Score
Why risk another injury in meaningless games. Play her more minutes when she is needed.

Unless there's an issue with swelling, pain, or fatigue, I don't really see how game minutes matter. She'll be playing lots of minutes in practice so I dont see how a few minutes here or there in a game are a big deal.

In football, there's a big physical difference between practice and game. Is there in WCBB? I'm skeptical. Geno has always said he makes practices *harder* than games.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I was also thinking of the Brit Hunter comparison, but to me it indicates that even if Caroline plays limited minutes (probably dictated by Rosemary Ragle, who seems to be the only person allowed to dictate anything basketball-related to Geno), she will likely start the game and the second half, after a structured warm up and preparation, rather than coming in cold off the bench.
I think this is very possible and, also, it is the time when her leadership can help establish control and the game plan for the younger players.

Reaction Score

Well that's obvious but you are missing my point. For a person to suffer 3 ACL injuries and still be considered an active member of a team who can physically play IS A BONUS & A GIFT!

Reaction Score
Based on that blog entry? It's more like - they don't know so you are guessing.

Oh! Like you know for sure anything you type here. Please! Give me a break! 98+% of what is writen here is opinion or guesses. Fact based is no what happens on boards such as this.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Oh! Like you know for sure anything you type here. Please! Give me a break! 98+% of what is writen here is opinion or guesses. Fact based is no what happens on boards such as this.

I really try hard to base any opinion I have on facts. I'm sorry, but your reaction to that blog was an overreaction to a lot of nothing. Maybe I was a little harsh, and I apologize. I should have gotten on John A for his non-answer, but it's really all he knew.

John A: There has not been a word on Caroline Doty in months because UConn prefers not to allow her to address her situation, at least at this point, with its beatwriters.
No info for months.

John A: I asked to speak to her two weeks ago and was told the coaches prefer Caroline not discuss her health.
Still no info.

John A: I have also been told the coaches are being extremely cautious with her.
Of course they are being cautious. She's had 3 ACL injuries. Anyone think they would rush her?

John A: She has done little, if any, full-court scrimmaging.
So, he really doesn't know if she has any foul-court scrimmaging?

John A: I hope to get to Storrs next week to see for myself.
I think he should. Maybe then you would have some facts to base your statements on.

Sorry if you didn't like me questioning you. Did you read Blake's first hand account?

" CD still wears the brace [not surprised given that we still have over 3 weeks to go before official practices start. She shot the ball pretty well from trey-land and in pull-up jumpers from 8-10 feet. Her vertical looked normal to me...I think the presence of the brace annoys her some....but the knee doesn't seem to be a problem...she was moving fine."

I'm a look at the sunny side of the street kinda guy and believe in Caroline and that she will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom