Caroline in Concussion Protocol | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Caroline in Concussion Protocol

Reaction Score
A number of teams have these issues. We just don’t hear about it because they are not UConn.
UCLA Forward Christeen Iwuala presumably suffered a concussion during practice before the Bruins game at South Carolina. She watched the game on the bench wearing dark glasses and wearing headphones (or sound dampeners). She sat out a second road game at Santa Barbara. Played the next game after that 12 days later. Bruins could have used her size against the Gamecocks‘ bigs.

I truly hope Caroline hasn’t experienced too many concussions. Several years ago Bruin guard Lauren Holiday (Jrue Holiday’s sister) medically retired after multiple concussions suffered during games.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
All we know from the pre-game report is that Caroline is feeling better today after running into a screen during practice. Who set that screen is anyone's guess.

Reaction Score
A few weeks ago, after J Hawkins had his 3rd concussion in less than a year, I suggested designing some sort of headgear to aid in protection for JH.
Three concussions in less than a year is very dangerous for any individual much more for an athlete competing in high level basketball.
My suggestion was not endorsed by most of the MBB Boneyard participants so it went out to pasture,
I believe some sort of protective headgear should be designed, specifically for players that have a tendency of suffering head injuries thus leading to concussions.
Maybe enough of the WB Boneyard contributors will request UConn athletics to finally explore the various possibilities of designing some type of headgear to aid in possible prevention of head injuries that lead to concussions.
Ciao

Reaction Score
Back in the 90s or early 2000s I remember a Stanford player that they wouldn't play anymore because she had too many concussions. Apparently that didn't sit well with her and she transfered to Texas (I believe) so she could keep playing. Does anyone remember that or am I so old that I have spurious memories?

Reaction Score
Do the concussions cause permanent damage like in football?
Yes, they can do that, but a lot of the time, this cumulative effect won’t become clinically evident for 20 or 30 years. At that point (20 or 30 years later) the symptoms mimic early onset Alzheimer’s (around age 40 or 50) and the patients rapidly lose ground from that point on.

Reaction Score

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
An immense amount of money has been invested in head gear for football and many other endeavors, including in the last decade.

Audrey Warren wore a 3/4 collar last year at Texas after several head injuries. It squeezes the jugular vein and increases the amount of fluid in the brain cavity. She missed no time last year. She’s at Georgia this year and not wearing it.

Reaction Score
An immense amount of money has been invested in head gear for football and many other endeavors, including in the last decade.

Audrey Warren wore a 3/4 collar last year at Texas after several head injuries. It squeezes the jugular vein and increases the amount of fluid in the brain cavity. She missed no time last year. She’s at Georgia this year and not wearing it.
She had something on her neck for the SC game.

Reaction Score
Stinger has it right. There should be an all out search for a head covering/helmet/??? that gives some extra protection. No problem with using a face mask. I think all the big companies can come up with a product that can be used at all levels of play for anyone who wants to prevent an injury or make it almost required to wear something when you have your first concussion. Caroline should be first in line with her history.

At least for practice

Reaction Score
Yes, they can do that, but a lot of the time, this cumulative effect won’t become clinically evident for 20 or 30 years. At that point (20 or 30 years later) the symptoms mimic early onset Alzheimer’s (around age 40 or 50) and the patients rapidly lose ground from that point on.

One thing to keep in mind is that until fairly recently, players continued to play with concussions. Players like Mike Webster may well have had 100+ concussions. Many had multiple concussions in the same game. I know of a CT HS player who 15+ in two seasons. Had at least two in several games. Having one concussion on top of another increases the long-term risk enormously. We won't know for another 20-30 years how much improvement will take place in long-term outlooks due to all of the concussion protocols and baseline testing. I suspect it will be enormous.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Back in the 90s or early 2000s I remember a Stanford player that they wouldn't play anymore because she had too many concussions. Apparently that didn't sit well with her and she transfered to Texas (I believe) so she could keep playing. Does anyone remember that or am I so old that I have spurious memories?
Ed
I remember the general outlines of your post
Started digging...found this
Not the one you're talking about, but interesting:

Reaction Score
Stinger has it right. There should be an all out search for a head covering/helmet/??? that gives some extra protection. No problem with using a face mask. I think all the big companies can come up with a product that can be used at all levels of play for anyone who wants to prevent an injury or make it almost required to wear something when you have your first concussion. Caroline should be first in line with her history.
An amateur boxer’s head covering until something better is developed?

Reaction Score
Stanford had a star volleyball player medically retire after several concussions. It did not turn out well for Stanford, as she sued the school. Wishing the best for Caroline
this is becoming a recurring issue in sports, Tua might have to retire due to so many, idk how many Caroline has had but I know she dealt with this past season and now again. You wonder what will happen to her.

Reaction Score
After a major concussion for one of the players, Stonington girls lacrosse began wearing helmets, Cascade brand. The girl who suffered the concussion believed that a helmet would have prevented the injury.

sun

Reaction Score
At first I thought that she would never wear head gear because she doesn't even wear knee pads like the others.
But maybe if she finds something that she likes, the company would offer her some NIL money to wear theirs.
There's some foam headbands that might be comfortable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom