Caroline D ? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Caroline D ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
No. It was cleared by the FDA, but not for concussion prevention. Several articles, including one in the NYT, have pointed that out. From one of the articles, "Futterman directs the reader to the FDA summary, which states that the Q-Collar was not approved to prevent concussions and there are some risks to the device. "

The FDA summary of its approval says:

1. “The Q-Collar has not been demonstrated to prevent long-term cognitive function deficits and the ultimate impact on clinical outcomes has not been evaluated.”
2. “Data do not demonstrate that the device can prevent concussion or serious brain injury.”
Thanks for clarifying. It is FDA-approved to protect the brain against "repetitive head impacts."

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I should have said "correction" rather than clarifying. :oops:

Reaction Score
Thanks for clarifying. It is FDA-approved to protect the brain against "repetitive head impacts."

Its use is controversial and there are serious questions whether it actually does anything at all. Its approval was based on the company's own study.

"serious doubts have emerged about the science behind the device, according to an extensive review of government documents and scientific studies by The New York Times, as well as interviews with scientists who have examined research into the Q-Collar."

Reaction Score
I think Caroline should look into the Q-Collar. If you’re familiar with Audrey Warren (Georgia, Texas), she wore one for similar reasons.

“As a freshman, Warren, who had a knack for taking charges, had suffered four concussions. She had several concussion-related issues until she started wearing the Q-Collar.

“I wanted to be able to play and not risk my health,” Overshown said. “They suggested I give it a try. It’s been unbelievable. Not only being safe but going out there with confidence. I don’t have to worry about that. That’s huge playing the sport we play. Confidence is everything.””

Reaction Score
I think Caroline should look into the Q-Collar. If you’re familiar with Audrey Warren (Georgia, Texas), she wore one for similar reasons.

“As a freshman, Warren, who had a knack for taking charges, had suffered four concussions. She had several concussion-related issues until she started wearing the Q-Collar.

“I wanted to be able to play and not risk my health,” Overshown said. “They suggested I give it a try. It’s been unbelievable. Not only being safe but going out there with confidence. I don’t have to worry about that. That’s huge playing the sport we play. Confidence is everything.””

See post #28 above.

Reaction Score
The Q-Collar may be controversial, but the FDA's approval doesn't help things because it sounds like they hedged on based on how I've understood their approval. Per a recent article in advance of the World Cup:

"In 2021, the US Food and Drug Administration cleared the Q-Collar for sale as a medical device and announced that research studies on the Q-Collar "appear to indicate protection of the brain associated with device use." While there's some debate among researchers regarding the methodology used in studies supporting the efficacy of the Q-Collar, the FDA also found that "no significant adverse events were associated with device use.""

So which is it? If they were skeptical, why does it get approved as a medical device? If there are studies that provide valid reasons to question the original research, when does the FDA get involved and reassess?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom