Carmelo Anthony: "I can't beat UConn" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Carmelo Anthony: "I can't beat UConn"

Reaction Score
Jeremy Lin.

But I agree, he was generally liked by his teammates. Whenever he was brought in to a team it was for the purpose of generating offense, and he did that as well as anyone. He teammates all knew why he was there; it would have been silly for them to resent Carmelo's dominating most of the possessions.

Among all the sour, me-first, chemistry-killers that Boeheim sent to the NBA, Carmelo stood out for having actual value. He could have won a championship on the right team. Now we'll be waiting a long time before ever we see a Cuse alum contribute to a title.
Thats unfounded. The Knicks weren’t sold on Lin. It had nothing to do with Melo.

Lin and Melo actually never had any issues.

Melo is the guy who told Woodson to play him.

That whole narrative was media created.

No serious basketball mind thought Lin should’ve supplanted Melo as the number one option.

“I mean, I think that’s… that’s the theory, and that’s what everyone says, but I can’t feed the speculation train because I don’t actually know. I know, and I’m saying this truthfully, that there were multiple points of opposition completely outside of Melo within what was going on, and once D’Antoni resigned, there was already opposition within the organization—whether it was the coaching staff that took over or certain members of the front office. But there was definitely, from what I’ve heard or gathered in the few years after, it wasn’t all as rosy as people thought it was. I don’t know who to attribute it to, but I know there were multiple points of opposition,” Lin said, per The Daily Beast.

Reaction Score
Melo’s 1 year legend at Cuse only gonna grow, as they slip further and further into obscurity and irrelevance

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Show me a teammate or peer who agrees with anything you said about him being selfish or me first.
I’ll wait.
I saw the guy play. Linsanity was a real thing until Melo said "enough of that".

Reaction Score
I saw the guy play. Linsanity was a real thing until Melo said "enough of that".
Melo never said “enough of that”. The league did when they began to scout him lmfao. See his game against Miami in the regular season that ended “linsanity”. They embarrassed him. And he left the Knicks and never replicated it. But sure “Melo stopped it”. You just don’t like the guy. His play style was congruent with the style of the league he was drafted into. It was an iso heavy league(Kobe, ai, dirk, tmac, iso joe Johnson, etc). He was just better at it than most. The league changed on him as he was aging and he became a dinosaur. Teammates don’t like selfish players. He wasn’t selfish. I’m passionate about it because It’s a nasty narrative that is only given to a specific demographic of players. It really needs to stop.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This was a great podcast. Kemba bringing up Denham brown when Carmelo brought up his 03 season, was cool to hear. Talked about Denham playing against him in his high school days. Didn’t know Denham dropped 100 points in a high school game.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You just don’t like the guy.
Nah. I don't like people that pee on my leg and tell me it's raining. I was there, I'm not interested in the retconning.

Reaction Score
Nah. I don't like people that pee on my leg and tell me it's raining. I was there, I'm not interested in the retconning.
No you have a predetermined idea of who this guy is. And no matter what evidence you’re presented with you are dedicated to maintaining this idea. For whatever reason. I won’t try to guess

But this is GOLD:

“I was there”

lmfaoo. Okay bud. The hate looks terrible

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Carmelo hate or narrative has always been weird. He’s one of the most decorated basketball players in history.
He made it past the first round in playoffs like twice in his entire career, that’s why the narrative is what it is

Reaction Score
Thats unfounded. The Knicks weren’t sold on Lin. It had nothing to do with Melo.

Lin and Melo actually never had any issues.

Melo is the guy who told Woodson to play him.

That whole narrative was media created.

No serious basketball mind thought Lin should’ve supplanted Melo as the number one option.

“I mean, I think that’s… that’s the theory, and that’s what everyone says, but I can’t feed the speculation train because I don’t actually know. I know, and I’m saying this truthfully, that there were multiple points of opposition completely outside of Melo within what was going on, and once D’Antoni resigned, there was already opposition within the organization—whether it was the coaching staff that took over or certain members of the front office. But there was definitely, from what I’ve heard or gathered in the few years after, it wasn’t all as rosy as people thought it was. I don’t know who to attribute it to, but I know there were multiple points of opposition,” Lin said, per The Daily Beast.

It just seems like you're trying to gaslight people about what happened.

It wasn't 'media created'. I watched the games. I watched Melo not celebrating the victories. I watched Melo on the sidelines looking miserable. I watched Melo get upset that the post-game media focused on Lin in the locker room. I watched Melo's interviews after the games. It was obvious he was jealous about the attention Lin got. No amount of podcast appearances and re-writing history changes those things I saw directly.

I'm not going to go as far as to say Melo ran Lin out of town, but the idea that Melo was universally liked by all his teammates is false.

Let's not forget how his career ended. He started becoming a locker room issue because he couldn't accept his bench role in Houston. He basically took that year off and when he finally realized he wasn't a go-to player anymore he signed with Portland who was desperate due to injury issues. He was able to rehab his image in Portland and then the Lakers but his stints in OKC and Houston tainted his legacy a great deal.

Carmelo was a fantastic scorer who didn't necessarily make his teammates better and didn't have much team success in the NBA. His talent was certainly all-time but his actual career fell a lot shorter than the Top 50ish player credit he usually gets. And this isn't me speaking as a UConn fan or Carmelo hater, I just think a lot of other players had more impactful careers.

Reaction Score
It just seems like you're trying to gaslight people about what happened.

It wasn't 'media created'. I watched the games. I watched Melo not celebrating the victories. I watched Melo on the sidelines looking miserable. I watched Melo get upset that the post-game media focused on Lin in the locker room. I watched Melo's interviews after the games. It was obvious he was jealous about the attention Lin got. No amount of podcast appearances and re-writing history changes those things I saw directly.

I'm not going to go as far as to say Melo ran Lin out of town, but the idea that Melo was universally liked by all his teammates is false.

Let's not forget how his career ended. He started becoming a locker room issue because he couldn't accept his bench role in Houston. He basically took that year off and when he finally realized he wasn't a go-to player anymore he signed with Portland who was desperate due to injury issues. He was able to rehab his image in Portland and then the Lakers but his stints in OKC and Houston tainted his legacy a great deal.

Carmelo was a fantastic scorer who didn't necessarily make his teammates better and didn't have much team success in the NBA. His talent was certainly all-time but his actual career fell a lot shorter than the Top 50ish player credit he usually gets. And this isn't me speaking as a UConn fan or Carmelo hater, I just think a lot of other players had more impactful careers.
The guys in the locker room tell a different story.

Who is a more reliable source?

You THINK you know what happened and are hell bent on maintaining that view.

Regardless of what Lin, Melo or anyone else associated with that team says.

It’s not gas lighting. It’s an uncomfortable truth. You can’t name anyone outside of George Karl who knows Carmelo and has called him selfish or has anything but respect for him.

It’s media created. And the media has a habit of labeling African American males in sports as selfish, me first and many other things when they don’t conform to the image that makes people comfortable.

Yall believe all the bull spit the media feeds you.

And NAME ME THE TEAMMATES

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You are a simp. The guy was a ballstopper and I'm a fan of team play.
That’s much different than calling him selfish. His style of play did not encourage ball movement. You are correct in that statement. “Selfish” calls into question his character. Which I believe is a step too far and the delineation between who gets called selfish and who doesn’t has a clear marker.

Reaction Score
Melo was Paul Pierce without being on the Celtics protected by the Boston media being on a dream team with KG and Ray. Pierce as the guy went to the conference finals once in a weakened East.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom