Carmelo Anthony: "I can't beat UConn" | The Boneyard

Carmelo Anthony: "I can't beat UConn"

Reaction Score
Carmelo was a joy to watch in college. He was always smiling and happy. A huge disappointment in the NBA. He clearly only cared about the money. I thought he would be better in the NBA than Lebron and i was not alone. Met Dominique Wilkins a few times and he thought the same. Did cash a 18-1 ticket in Vegas on that lone Syracuse Championship so i thank Carmelo for that

Reaction Score
I saw Carmelo play HS ball when his team went up to Oregon to play in their terrific Les Schwab Holiday Tournament. Saw him play 4 games. After those games, I thought of him as a ballhog type, a very talented one. He stayed almost completely that way, with possible exception of the 'cuse. He remained that way all the way thru his NBA years, too.

One HUGE exception, however... He seemed to be the model teammate on the Olympic team.

Reaction Score
The Carmelo hate or narrative has always been weird. He’s one of the most decorated basketball players in history.
Wow. Who is decorating him? His title should have been removed. When I think college basketball, Carmelo never crosses my mind, even for Syracuse players. Think of Sherman Douglas etc.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
On the podcast, the 34-year-old talked about everything from how Michael Jordan mentored him to his NCAA Championship-winning campaign in 2011 with the University of Connecticut.

First time I heard about this. I do recall Kemba praising Rondo for "showing him the holes in his game (mid-range shot which he soon added) when they were on the pro/am team after Kemba's sophomore year.

Reaction Score
Not really, he was a me first player. That's why his teams never went anywhere when he made the bigs.
This just isn’t true. The era and style of play changed on him. But he was very successful from the moment he entered the league. He made a lottery team a playoff team his rookie season. Name a teammate that didn’t love him. His peers respect he hell out of him. This “selfish” narrative comes from George Karl and has other under tones. I’ll just say this. Not one black player from the inner city who has played for George Karl like him.

Champion in HS

Champion in College

Top 10 all time in scoring

Most Olympic gold medals and wins of any basketball player in American History

Anything else is George Karl, Knicks stink and revisionist history

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Champion in HS

Champion in College

I talk about his teams never doing anything in the bigs and you give me this. "You're right" would have sufficed.

Reaction Score
I talk about his teams never doing anything in the bigs and you give me this. "You're right" would have sufficed.
The bigs? Wrong sport there.

Reaction Score
This just isn’t true. The era and style of play changed on him. But he was very successful from the moment he entered the league. He made a lottery team a playoff team his rookie season. Name a teammate that didn’t love him. His peers respect he hell out of him. This “selfish” narrative comes from George Karl and has other under tones. I’ll just say this. Not one black player from the inner city who has played for George Karl like him.

Champion in HS

Champion in College

As a Knicks fan I love that he went there when it was against the grain and made the Knicks a more attractive destination and he stuck through a rebuild too. He was never a number 1 guy, but he wasn’t selfish.

Reaction Score
Carmelo was a joy to watch in college. He was always smiling and happy. A huge disappointment in the NBA. He clearly only cared about the money. I thought he would be better in the NBA than Lebron and i was not alone. Met Dominique Wilkins a few times and he thought the same. Did cash a 18-1 ticket in Vegas on that lone Syracuse Championship so i thank Carmelo for that
Aren’t most people happier at 18 than 30, or just about any other age? You hung with Dominique and talked about… Carmelo Anthony? You bet on Syracuse (gross) - just to win some money? Interesting post, a lot going on there.

Reaction Score
This just isn’t true. The era and style of play changed on him. But he was very successful from the moment he entered the league. He made a lottery team a playoff team his rookie season. Name a teammate that didn’t love him.

Jeremy Lin.

But I agree, he was generally liked by his teammates. Whenever he was brought in to a team it was for the purpose of generating offense, and he did that as well as anyone. He teammates all knew why he was there; it would have been silly for them to resent Carmelo's dominating most of the possessions.

Among all the sour, me-first, chemistry-killers that Boeheim sent to the NBA, Carmelo stood out for having actual value. He could have won a championship on the right team. Now we'll be waiting a long time before ever we see a Cuse alum contribute to a title.

Reaction Score
Melo is a 10 time NBA All Star, made 6 All-NBA teams, and averaged over 20 points a game over a 19 year NBA career, including a scoring title. Also maybe the best player in men's basketball Olympic history (maybe behind Durant)

Yeah he went to Syracuse and yeah UConn beat him up twice. But he's a basketball LEGEND

Reaction Score
So you’re judging melo for the Knicks incompetence or for the west being historically great while he was there in the beginning of his career?

What other young player would you expect to beat the Kobe/Pau lakers, the dynastic spurs, the Dirk mavericks, Utah had a better team with Deron Williams, AK and Boozer. The one time Denver gave him a real #2 in Billups he pushed the championship Lakers to 7 games in the WCF who went on to sweep the magic out of the East.

He gets to the Knicks. They sign Billups and then use the gift amnesty provision on him the year after. Instead of amnestying Amare. Which would’ve cleared the way of CP3 to the Knicks which was happening. They then gave the money to Tyson Chandler. Melo’s best teammate on the Knicks was JR freaking Smith. He then wills those mediocre parts to 54 wins and a 2nd seed in the East. The year later they blow the whole team up for, wait for it…..Andrea Bargnani.

But sure blame Melo.

Melo’s biggest mistake was not doing the same thing people criticize LeBron for. He chose his own team over joining in on the super team era. He was a victim of his own competitiveness and confidence. Yes, he chose to maximize is earning potential. Only black NBA players are criticized for doing that btw. But that was in no way shape or form the reason he didn’t win a championship. Him tying his fortune to the Knicks and GM Phil Jackson is why he didn’t win.

Show me a teammate or peer who agrees with anything you said about him being selfish or me first.

I’ll wait.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom