Carlton Interview, looks like he means business. | The Boneyard

Carlton Interview, looks like he means business.

Reaction Score
Carlton is talking the talk! The possibilities are NBA first round if he walks the walk.

His focus is there;

Much of his summer was spent here working with UConn’s Director of Human Performance Sal Alosi. Carlton is listed an inch taller (6-11) and 25 pounds heavier (260) than he was a year ago and appears to be in outstanding shape.
“I would work on my game all day,” Carlton said. “Hopefully by the time the season comes, what I’ve done will pay off and I’ll show everyone what I’ve worked on.

Carlton raises sights

Reaction Score
With respect to his effort and I love the kid for UConn in college, but the NBA game is not a fit for even the most dominant plodder. He will make a lot of money internationally, but his game is not a great fit for the modern NBA game.

Giant sport pet peeve:

Talking about college athletes in relation to how good they’ll be as a pro

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
With respect to his effort and I love the kid for UConn in college, but the NBA game is not a fit for even the most dominant plodder. He will make a lot of money internationally, but his game is not a great fit for the modern NBA game.
He’s got two years left in college, and who knows how many to prove himself elsewhere. He can definitely do it.

Reaction Score
“You win an award, you get hungry and want more”
Nice write up. I love that everything he said exudes confidence in himself and the team. We should see continuing improvement from him the next couple of years.
NBA talk can wait until then.

Reaction Score

He needs to really be 6'11 or 7'00 for plodding to work. There are plodding 7 footers in the NBA today.

Reaction Score
Carlton showed us a lot in the second half last year so now that he’s even bigger and in better shape it portends well. He plays too well this year he’s probably gone. As for whether his game works in the NBA I think we should hold judgement and see what he looks like against good teams. Just remember we had Travis Knight playing in the NBA for a number of years, and he did not fit the NBA mold either.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He’s large and has good moves and we’ve seen crazier things in the NBA. People here act like he’s a stiff.

He has back to the basket skills that are a lost art, even in the NBA. Whether that translates I don’t know. If he can show that he can defend NBA bigs and rebound he can carve out a role. Not everyone needs to be an amazing athlete.

Reaction Score
Nah. If he keeps improving he’ll play. Unlike Okafor (not Emeka, but his earthbound plodding relative) this kid can actually play D and is an improving rebounder.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Carlton needs to be an all conference player in the American before he sets his sights on the NBA...jesus
I'm pretty sure that's the goal. 15/9 with 2 blocks and steady post defense should get him close, especially if UConn outperforms expectations.

Reaction Score
What the...there are people actually talking about Carlton leaving early for the NBA.

I don't think so sj.

Shouldn't even be talking about him and the NBA agree but don't think anyone was foolish enough to believe he's thinking of leaving early.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't think so sj.

Shouldn't even be talking about him and the NBA agree but don't think anyone was foolish enough to believe he's thinking of leaving early.

Definitely not early. But he has a better chance of playing in the NBA than Vital, who "tested the waters".

Reaction Score
Hopefully he also worked on improving his hands and ability to catch and hold on to the ball on passes and rebounds.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Definitely not early. But he has a better chance of playing in the NBA than Vital, who "tested the waters".

Better than 0% isn't exactly saying anything. If Carlton had .001% chance of playing in the NBA, he would have more of a chance than Vital.

Reaction Score
What is with the hate in Vital for testing NBA waters? Get free feedback from the highest level scouts on the planet and work with high level trainers. Go back to school--no harm no foul.

Sorry it made you upset, yarders. But it's a pretty friggin smart idea.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
What is with the hate in Vital for testing NBA waters? Get free feedback from the highest level scouts on the planet and work with high level trainers. Go back to school--no harm no foul.

Sorry it made you upset, yarders. But it's a pretty friggin smart idea.

I wasn't hating on it at all. Everyone should get their 2 looks.

Just saying he's not playing in the NBA, which isn't a huge knock on him either. He just doesn't have the size/athleticism or half court game to play the NBA two.

He'll play ball somewhere though.

Reaction Score
What the...there are people actually talking about Carlton leaving early for the NBA.
In my OP it was a matter of him putting in the work to get to the NBA. Its premature to even talk NBA career, but his height is an advantage. In 2 years if he walks the walk then he'll certainly get a look.

My point is being with a 6'11" frame and some heft, he has something to work with. Its basically up to him. Right now he still needs to prove he's a very good college player. Being most improved player last season, is a great start to reaching what I assume is his goal (pro ball).

Not sure why posters are even considering him as an early declaration, unless he wants feedback and pro evaluations.

Reaction Score
If he had an All/Conference year which there is a chance of he should definitely at least put himself out the for evaluation. This kid is not yet 21
years old.If he was a prep player with his current skills people would be talking about him as
a one and done.
I realize not all of those kids make it.
Interesting Carlton fact as an 18 year old freshman he started and went 13/7 against the eventual NC. I know Nova went easy on that undermanned team but he was still a kid.

Reaction Score
If he had an All/Conference year which there is a chance of he should definitely at least put himself out the for evaluation. This kid is not yet 21
years old.If he was a prep player with his current skills people would be talking about him as
a one and done.
Interesting Carlton fact as an 18 year old freshman he started and went 13/7 against the eventual NC. I know Nova went easy on that undermanned team but he was still a kid.
What?????

intlzncster

Reaction Score
a one and done.

Right now he has potential All Conference game (in the AAC mind you). He's not remotely in the discussion for All American.

I've no idea what you're seeing with one and done high school talk. Even with his current game, he still wouldn't even be a UK/Duke etc recruit because of lack of athleticism.

Reaction Score
Ahh, we have so many soothsayers on this board that don't even have to see a kid play his junior year yet amazingly they know exactly how he'll perform and they even know his future prospects. Hurley should be checking in with them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom