Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It’s silly time on Boneyard. Sounds like middle school

“Mary didn’t invite Sally to sit with her at lunch today!”
”Wow, are they fighting?”
”They must be. It probably has something to do with her boyfriend”
”Sally is trying to steal Mary’s boyfriend? I have to tell Jane!”

It’s been a long time since middle school. I don’t miss it one bit
My middle school was nun or this and nun of that.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
The ONLY concern I have is about chemistry. It was reported that when Juhasz chose UCONN, only 2 players congratulated and welcomed her in IG - Anna and Nika. I think Saylor did shortly thereafter. I have no idea why the other players were less than enthusiastic (as it appeared - I'm not speaking factually as I have no inside knowledge) - there are numerous possible reasons - they were surprised it happened so fast, maybe some post players saw it as not necessary (in their eyes), etc.

But it was odd that on a team that is so "social-media" focused, no one besides our 2 foreign players welcomed her. I'm encouraged to see more players following Cardoso and vice versa.

You also have to keep in mind that Nika and Anna are probably the only ones who actually know Dorka — and that’s from playing before they came to the States. There haven’t been any visits and she’s had no chance to get to know the team. When freshmen sign as seniors, they’ve spent quite a bit of time on campus, most have had a couple days to get to know the team, and many already know each other through AAU, EYBL, and/or USAB. I don’t recall seeing a lot of social media hoopla when Anna signed after the season ended and without meeting the team. Similar situation.

Nothing to see here.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This team is already crowded at the SG/Wing/SF position and at the PF position. It is less crowded at PG and Post. In reality:
PG - Paige, Nika
Center - Olivia, Piath
SG/Wing/SF - Evina, Christyn, Aubrey, Mir, Autumn, Saylor, Azzi, Caroline
PF - Dorka, Aaliyah, Amari

SG/Wing/SF is listed with the three typical names for two positions on the floor in a classic alignment. We all know that teams use 'small' and 'big' lineups, sometimes play '5 out' or '4 out' and may shift players between classically designed alignment depending on needs or other players on the floor with them. The two more consistent needs are 'primary ball handler' (PG) and 'post defender' (Center) and Uconn has two very capable PGs and one very capable Center and one developmental prospect. They have others who can handle those roles in emergencies, but are better at the positions I listed. Secondary listings would be:

PG - Evina, Christyn (maybe one of the freshman as well, but not likely next year)
Center - Aaliyah, Dorka, (Amira?)
PF - Aubrey, (Mir?)
SG/Wing/SF - Paige, Dorka

If Cardosa decided to come to Uconn, she would add a player to the Center position which is actually the weakest natural roster spot on the team with a single developed player. I like Piath a lot but feel she is at least a year away from being ready, and while the current roster has some valuable players who can cover in an emergency, it is a weakness. And it is a specific weakness in the most important games each year - those against other top 10 teams that have true centers on their rosters.

No one is 'complaining' about the plethora of SG/Wing/SF players, everyone was excited when we got another PF as a transfer creating another deep position, not sure what is so different about adding a true center if it does happen.

Reaction Score
This team is already crowded at the SG/Wing/SF position and at the PF position. It is less crowded at PG and Post. In reality:
PG - Paige, Nika
Center - Olivia, Piath
SG/Wing/SF - Evina, Christyn, Aubrey, Mir, Autumn, Saylor, Azzi, Caroline
PF - Dorka, Aaliyah, Amari

SG/Wing/SF is listed with the three typical names for two positions on the floor in a classic alignment. We all know that teams use 'small' and 'big' lineups, sometimes play '5 out' or '4 out' and may shift players between classically designed alignment depending on needs or other players on the floor with them. The two more consistent needs are 'primary ball handler' (PG) and 'post defender' (Center) and Uconn has two very capable PGs and one very capable Center and one developmental prospect. They have others who can handle those roles in emergencies, but are better at the positions I listed. Secondary listings would be:

PG - Evina, Christyn (maybe one of the freshman as well, but not likely next year)
Center - Aaliyah, Dorka, (Amira?)
PF - Aubrey, (Mir?)
SG/Wing/SF - Paige, Dorka

If Cardosa decided to come to Uconn, she would add a player to the Center position which is actually the weakest natural roster spot on the team with a single developed player. I like Piath a lot but feel she is at least a year away from being ready, and while the current roster has some valuable players who can cover in an emergency, it is a weakness. And it is a specific weakness in the most important games each year - those against other top 10 teams that have true centers on their rosters.

No one is 'complaining' about the plethora of SG/Wing/SF players, everyone was excited when we got another PF as a transfer creating another deep position, not sure what is so different about adding a true center if it does happen.
I think you are being generous and optimistic about Piath. If she is a contributing senior, we'll be lucky. Hoping for Cardosa is too much. Won't happen. Think Baylor or Stanford or S. Carolina. Where do they speak portuguese?

Reaction Score
Have a friend living in Syracuse told me she is coming to UConn. Hope this is true ... saying she wants a NC ring in her college.
Does your friend have any idea WTF is going on in Syracuse Women's BB? A year or two ago they all adored that coach. Now, everyone wants out?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If Geno can get a 6’7” post that was ranked #5 coming out of high school and keep her for 4 years, why are we worrying about future recruits? A bird in the hand....
I'm worrying about future recruits because:
0) This would be the second post player UCONN has signed in the last few weeks. A month ago Amari DeBerry was thinking" I'm only competing with ONO and AE for minutes next season. Today she is thinking I have to compete with ONO + AE + Dorka + Cardoso.
1) Cardoso's DoB is April 2001 which makes her WNBA eligible Spring of 2023. I doubt she will be sticking around Storrs until 2025.
2) Both of the current UCONN 2022 commits Brady and Patterson are higher ranked than Cardoso. Both are also capable of playing in the post.
3) Aalyah Del Rosario '23 is higher ranked than Cardoso and is being recruited by UCONN.
IMO Geno should still do this but the impact on future recruits has to be consider because if signing Cardoso cost UCONN Amari, Ayanna, Ice, or that other Aalyah it will not be wort it.

Reaction Score
Stop all this trash ! You have no idea what they are doing or saying. You trying to start up gossip
?
im not trying to start anything but i do feel like it is unusual. stop going off the deep end.

Reaction Score
Except the coach will pay nothing. The new school will foot the bill and if in a P5 league their TV money will take care of it and they'll put off the biannual renovations to the locker room for a year...............
OK, so the new or "winning" school who hires the coach pays off or easily absorbs the financial penalty that must be given/paid to the old or "losing" school. But, at least the old school gets some compensation when their coach bolts for greener pasture. However, under the new world order, when the great player bolts to a new school which looks greener, what compensation will the old school get when they lose their best player? NOTHING. There is no contract penalty to be paid off or other compensation to be given to the old school. They simply lose. I see the rich getting richer in this new system of penalty free player transfers. This is not good for college sports.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not cool to speculate like that. If you want drama there are plenty of daytime soaps to follow.
very well but i just find it curious. there is a lot of speculation on a board. actually most posts are speculation.

not sure what daytime soaps have to offer since i have never seen one.

Reaction Score
As The World Turns..lol...imagine a group of girls/women not inviting someone into their club. Has that ever happened?
im just responding to the original post. maybe it means nothing and maybe there is a good reason for it....but it also seems a bit unusual. anyway, the more we go back and forth over it, the more of a drama it becomes.

Reaction Score
I think you are being generous and optimistic about Piath. If she is a contributing senior, we'll be lucky. Hoping for Cardosa is too much. Won't happen. Think Baylor or Stanford or S. Carolina. Where do they speak portuguese?
I don't care how crowded it is you don't turn away a 6'-7" player they don't grow on trees. And she is talented !!!!

Reaction Score
Whether Deberry can/will bang down low remains an unknown. She has a wider frame than Liv, and is still filling out. Not mention she hasn't yet had the benefit of college strength and conditioning work.
i was thinking more of immediately next year. it seems she may struggle down low but we will see. i do remain skeptical however but hopeful. if we get cardosa is will not matter

Reaction Score
I think this was an assumption.
another poster reminded me that is was due to a low SAT score. but i cant confirm this and not sure anyone else can either but i do remember reading it on this board.

Reaction Score
Yes this starts in 2022 however for the current year 2021 it’s July 1
From the ESPN article:
The NCAA's new transfer rules will require players in fall and winter sports to notify their current schools they intend to leave by May 1; spring sport athletes must do so by July 1, starting in 2022.
ii

Reaction Score
Portugal.

Reaction Score
I know we aren’t to speculate but Morgan Valley and Cardoso just followed each other on
It’s silly time on Boneyard. Sounds like middle school

“Mary didn’t invite Sally to sit with her at lunch today!”
”Wow, are they fighting?”
”They must be. It probably has something to do with her boyfriend”
”Sally is trying to steal Mary’s boyfriend? I have to tell Jane!”

It’s been a long time since middle school. I don’t miss it one bit
Yeah. It also screams misogyny. I doubt anyone would care if guys on a team welcomed a transfer on social media.

Reaction Score
I'm worrying about future recruits because:
0) This would be the second post player UCONN has signed in the last few weeks. A month ago Amari DeBerry was thinking" I'm only competing with ONO and AE for minutes next season. Today she is thinking I have to compete with ONO + AE + Dorka + Cardoso.
1) Cardoso's DoB is April 2001 which makes her WNBA eligible Spring of 2023. I doubt she will be sticking around Storrs until 2025.
2) Both of the current UCONN 2022 commits Brady and Patterson are higher ranked than Cardoso. Both are also capable of playing in the post.
3) Aalyah Del Rosario '23 is higher ranked than Cardoso and is being recruited by UCONN.
IMO Geno should still do this but the impact on future recruits has to be consider because if signing Cardoso cost UCONN Amari, Ayanna, Ice, or that other Aalyah it will not be wort it.
If it gives Geno 2 more natl championships..it will be wort it.

Reaction Score
Women's College Hoops is starting to look like the NBA teams. All the good players on a handful of teams.

Wouldn't surprise me if Cardosa stays in the ACC.. Either Louisville or Duke.
Starting to? It's been that way. The only difference now is that the players are transferring to those handful of full teams.

BlueDolphin

Playful Mammal
Reaction Score
Actually there are lots of Portuguese-Americans in Connecticut. I would guess a lot more then California, Texas, S. Carolina. Probably not many Brazilians, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom