Cardoso committed to Cuse | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Cardoso committed to Cuse

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
My daughter graduated from Cuse. She loved her 4 years there. She was a soccer player. I think being from California she just wanted something different.
I lived and worked in Syracuse for 8 years. Also got my MBA at Syracuse. The people up there were great. I really loved the springs, summers and falls, but the winters were tough. I had never heard the terms “lake effect snow” or “white out” until I moved there. Every winter there was at least a 2 week period when I had to get up early to shovel my driveway every day (I didn’t own a snowblower at that time) to get to work and then shovel it again to get my car back into the garage.

One of the most impressive things about Syracuse is that no matter how much snow it gets, businesses almost never shut down because the plows are out in the middle of the night and throughout the day and the roads are clear. When I lived in VA, a couple inches of snow could shut everything down for a week.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I used to live in Syracuse. If you’re not going to play basketball, not sure why anyone would want to face the brutal Syracuse winter where the average snowfall is 124”.

Out here in sunny Southern California were it never snows (hail once in a while) because we’re in a basin at sea level, I cannot begin to fathom trying to live and negotiate my way around town in 124” of snow.

None of us own snow clearing equipment for obvious reasons, and the hardware stores in town don’t carry any either, no demand. If you want snow here, you have to go to it (near by mountains - lots of ski resorts there), it won’t come to you.

We have a lot of accidents when it rains because some folks can’t/won’t compensate for wet roads. Can you imagine if they had to try and drive on icy and slushy roads?:eek: The auto insurance rates here would sky rocket.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Do we know she didn’t qualify academically or is that just speculation

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
If Cardoso hasn’t qualified yet, I’ll give Q some credit. The Cuse just edged mid-major Ohio in their opener the other night so it could be a long season. They need better players if they hope to compete with ND, Louisville and the other top programs in the AAC. He’s got nothing to lose by offering Cardoso a scholarship and everything to gain if she qualifies academically.
Wait - I'm confused. Didn't Q complain that Cuse wasn't getting the respect they deserved becasue he felt they should be ranked in the top 10 (or top 25 or whatever)??? He was all indignant IIRC... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There has been some discussion in reports by media that she may have some work to do to qualify. Most has been related to either the ACT or SAT if I remember correctly.

Reaction Score
Out here in sunny Southern California were it never snows (hail once in a while) because we’re in a basin at sea level, I cannot begin to fathom trying to live and negotiate my way around town in 124” of snow.

None of us own snow clearing equipment for obvious reasons, and the hardware stores in town don’t carry any either, no demand.

We have a lot of accidents when it rains because some folks can’t/won’t compensate for wet roads. Can you imagine if they had to try and drive on icy and slushy roads?:eek: The auto insurance rates here would sky rocket.
I live just south of the Hollywood Hills. Can you imagine those little, winding roads in the hills with ice? Los Angeles would be completely shut down.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
We don’t know for sure. But back in September there were reports that she had not yet qualified just about the time the August results would have been available. The most recent test dates for the SAT’s and ACT’s were 10/5 & 10/26 respectively, so it’s possible that she earned a score sufficient to qualify for a scholarship.

Reaction Score
If Cardoso hasn’t qualified yet, I’ll give Q some credit. The Cuse just edged mid-major Ohio in their opener the other night so it could be a long season. They need better players if they hope to compete with ND, Louisville and the other top programs in the ACC. He’s got nothing to lose by offering Cardoso a scholarship and everything to gain if she qualifies academically.

I was at the game. Please don't forget that Syracuse is without the services of their best player, and IMO, one of the top 3 PG's in the country, Tiana Mangakahia, who juts finished chemo for breast cancer. This will not be an easy season for Syracuse, but they have talent.

Reaction Score
I live just south of the Hollywood Hills. Can you imagine those little, winding roads in the hills with ice? Los Angeles would be completely shut down.

The 124" is deceiving. It's not all on the ground at once. Snow falls, melts, blah blah blah. It's how much snow falls in an entire winter. The snow sucks, yes, but we are used to it and it's easily taken care of. Snow removal is actually quite the operation.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I was at the game. Please don't forget that Syracuse is without the services of their best player, and IMO, one of the top 3 PG's in the country, Tiana Mangakahia, who juts finished chemo for breast cancer. This will not be an easy season for Syracuse, but they have talent.
I appreciate that, and the Bobcats are a tough mid-major, but when you’re supposed to be a nationally ranked team out of the ACC, losing one player should not be a reason to be in a nip and tuck game at home vs an unranked team.
The 124" is deceiving. It's not all on the ground at once. Snow falls, melts, blah blah blah. It's how much snow falls in an entire winter. The snow sucks, yes, but we are used to it and it's easily taken care of. Snow removal is actually quite the operation.
I’m sorry, but the snow doesn’t just fall and melt in Syracuse, which is extremely cold from late Nov to mid-March. Frequently, the new snow just piles up on top of the old snow. It was not uncommon for the snow banks at the front of my house to be 3-6’ high for weeks on end.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Remember those winters, people tunneling to get out of their houses, and laughing when people said to me “you’re from Colorado. You’re used to snow.” “Yeah,” I replied. “Melting.”
It's one of the reasons i'm glad I'm in South Carolina. We get a little winter, but each house is equipped with a solar snow removal system. It snows over night, looks pretty in the morning when I call work that I can't make it in. Then all gone by 10:00 :)

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score

None of us own snow clearing equipment for obvious reasons, and the hardware stores in town don’t carry any either, no demand. If you want snow here, you have to go to it (near by mountains - lots of ski resorts there), it won’t come to you.

Some parts of the Vegas valley gets snow once or twice a year, and when it happens the accident rate sky rockets. I've lived over 36 years in areas that received a lot of snow and ice and more than half of that I drove in, so a little bit is nothing.

Reaction Score
I grew up in the "Maryland Mountains" (the Appalachians) and while we aren't Buffalo or Syracuse, we would average anywhere from 4 to 6 feet of snowfall over a typical winter, and we received our fair share of lake affect snow. We got our heaviest snow falls from nor'easters when the moisture from the Atlantic storms mixed with cold air over the Appalachian structural front. I learned how to drive in snow and it doesn't bother me to drive in it. However, staying out of the way of the other idiots who don't know what they are doing makes it a hair raising (if I had any) experience!

The biggest issue here in the Baltimore-Washington metroplex is that people don't know how to drive in snow but they still feel they have to get somewhere so they go out, get stuck, abandon their cars and make it that much more difficult for snow removal crews to get the roads clear.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Some parts of the Vegas valley gets snow once or twice a year, and when it happens the accident rate sky rockets. I've lived over 36 years in areas that received a lot of snow and ice and more than half of that I drove in, so a little bit is nothing.

Yeah, I made the mistake of visiting Vegas during one it’s worst winters once. I didn’t enjoy the experience. It’s a fact that Vegas has “extreme” weather twice a year. 118 degrees in the dead of summer is not unusual. Neither is single digit temperatures in the winter months. Vegas is only 3 hours away for us. We visited our granddaughter (a student at UNLV) year round. We experienced both first hand. :confused:

Reaction Score
Yeah, I made the mistake of visiting Vegas during one it’s worst winters once. I didn’t enjoy the experience. It’s a fact that Vegas has “extreme” weather twice a year. 118 degrees in the dead of summer is not unusual. Neither is single digit temperatures in the winter months. Vegas is only 3 hours away for us. We visited our granddaughter (a student at UNLV) year round. We experienced both first hand. :confused:
The hottest temperature ever recorded in Vegas is 117 which was reached at 4:07 PM on June 20, 2017. The average high temperature in July is 104. 118 would be unusual in that it would break the all-time temperature record. 110-112 is probably about the extent of their hottest days of the year.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
We don’t know for sure. But back in September there were reports that she had not yet qualified just about the time the August results would have been available. The most recent test dates for the SAT’s and ACT’s were 10/5 & 10/26 respectively, so it’s possible that she earned a score sufficient to qualify for a scholarship.
Which is why I shut up about it and waited to see what shook out. I'm surprised 'Cuse and their coach The AcCuser landed such a big one. From my vantage it seems most of the big name places just weren't willing to risk leaving a scholly open in case she fell flat on her face in her exams. Q was willing because honestly, it was a safe bet for him. For Cardosa it wasn't any port in a storm, but it was clearly the best option open to her. Now, the question is, did she get her scores back already?

Reaction Score
Something doesn't seem right. Could it be the grades/test score problem? Strange destination for someone from sunny Brazil (?)- frozen Syracuse.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I used to live in Syracuse. If you’re not going to play basketball, not sure why anyone would want to face the brutal Syracuse winter where the average snowfall is 124”.
My son teaches at a college in the area. He’s been there for about 10 years. They’ve had a few years since he’s lived there where we in CT had more snow when we’ve been hit my a few Noreasters and the lake effect was a bit to the North up there. Coach Q lives very near my son. My son did post doc at VTech and says Blacksburg is more sophisticated than Syracuse.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Scoop?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Something doesn't seem right. Could it be the grades/test score problem? Strange destination for someone from sunny Brazil (?)- frozen Syracuse.
No. Syracuse was on her list of schools from the very beginning. The current 'Cuse roster has players from Canada, France (3), Australia, Czech Republic & Latvia so she'll fit right in.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
The hottest temperature ever recorded in Vegas is 117 which was reached at 4:07 PM on June 20, 2017. The average high temperature in July is 104. 118 would be unusual in that it would break the all-time temperature record. 110-112 is probably about the extent of their hottest days of the year.
That's the official temperature which is taken at (LAS) McCarran International airport, the Southern Sumerlin area has been known to get up to 122 degrees, but it's not considered to be the official temperature.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom