Car Trade In...to fix, or not to fix? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Car Trade In...to fix, or not to fix?

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
In the fall I decided this Spring, I was going to buy a new car. Alas, in Late November, on a dark, rainy night, I had an accident where I could not avoid a fallen tree limb across my lane. I had to get off the gas and brace for impact. It was loud and horrific but the car made it home. No engine lights or tire pressure warnings!

Alas, the car bled to death overnight. Very sad.

After 30 days at the shop awaiting all the needed parts, I fixed the under-the-hood stuff. New radiator, condensor, the housing that keeps them in place, an engine oil cooler and a/c-related repairs. Car now runs great.

Now, I have relatively minor body work left and I'm wondering if its even worth taking to a body shop, or just trade the car in as is. There is a baseball-sized dent in front quarter panel (no scratches) and the black plastic grill trim got wrecked.

Overall, probably 1500 to 2000 in repairs.

Should I just trade in as is? Or repair first?

Reaction Score
I had an Uber driver a few days ago whose family owns a dealership. He said lots will be dropping used prices in a month or so. Inventory is backing up.
Just bought a car..they were gonna give me 3000 trade...I sold on marketplace for 8500..

Reaction Score
In the fall I decided this Spring, I was going to buy a new car. Alas, in Late November, on a dark, rainy night, I had an accident where I could not avoid a fallen tree limb across my lane. I had to get off the gas and brace for impact. It was loud and horrific but the car made it home. No engine lights or tire pressure warnings!

Alas, the car bled to death overnight. Very sad.

After 30 days at the shop awaiting all the needed parts, I fixed the under-the-hood stuff. New radiator, condensor, the housing that keeps them in place, an engine oil cooler and a/c-related repairs. Car now runs great.

Now, I have relatively minor body work left and I'm wondering if its even worth taking to a body shop, or just trade the car in as is. There is a baseball-sized dent in front quarter panel (no scratches) and the black plastic grill trim got wrecked.

Overall, probably 1500 to 2000 in repairs.

Should I just trade in as is? Or repair first?
My grandfather would have said Get a horse.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
It's pretty rare that fixing the car ISN'T the best financial decision. Body work can be one of the exceptions. You're going to want to get a quote on the trade-in (or private market) sale, and a quote on the repairs.

Cars with an accident history often are a tough sell, and you could be looking at a loss. You also could feel uncomfortable driving it... and there's your decision right there.
Been driving it since late December. Drives great.

Reaction Score
I’m in a similar situation. Dealer offered $500.00 for my 2009 Ford Escape. I will put a needed $1000 in and sell privately for $4k

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
And now you’re gonna say “But the Boneyard disagrees”? Stop yanking everyone’s chain here.
I'm in agreement with her. Just hoping for an inside-the-industry piece of wisdom, or a choice anecdote.

Reaction Score
At 118K either you are in or will be entering a wear cycle, and depending on the make of the car it may come on sooner or later, but certain parts will start to breakdown and need either repair or replacement. Your decision to keep the car should also consider the reputation for such parts breakdown and the average reported max milage to expect for that make & model.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom