Cane Broome transferring from Sacred Heart | The Boneyard

Cane Broome transferring from Sacred Heart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Kid's dream is to play at UConn, question is do we take a look. He's a small scoring point guard, he was the NEC player of the year averaging 23 ppg. He is obviously a good player just not sure if he is UConn level?

Reaction Score
Article from when we played them earlier in the season...

Broome said he knows Kevin Ollie. He knows Steven Enoch and Jalen Adams. He met Rodney Purvis at a Nike EYBL session in Virginia.

"I grew up watching UConn, because of Dougie Wiggins, obviously," Broome said. "I was never like a diehard UConn fan, but ever since Dougie went there I watched. When they won the national championship with Shabazz Napier, I watched the whole year, rooted for them the whole year."

Broome breaks into a laugh.

"I stopped as soon as I got into college," he said. "Obviously, I can't root for them now."

http://www.courant.com/sports/college/hc-jacobs-column-cane-broome-1201-20151130-story.html

Reaction Score
He'd come in as a junior for us in 2017-18 - the same class in terms of eligibility as Jalen, Enoch & Larrier.

Other potential PGs on that roster are Jalen, Alterique, MAL & Waters (tho Waters looks like a long shot).
Potential SGs on the roster are DHam (unlikely), Hamidou (probable), and TBD from class of '17

I'd have zero problem with Ollie signing this kid. He was bad against us, but he went for 32/2/5 against Yale, 19/6/4 against Holy Cross, 26/3/2 against Northwestern, 25/8/2 against Hofstra, 24/2/3 and 39/6/6 against Fairleigh Dickinson. Those are all decent teams.

And if we don't get him, I hope Pikiell does at Rutgers.

Reaction Score
Maybe we sign a grad transfer and then have this kid in the wings if he can play well at this level?

Did he say it's his dream or are we just supposing this?

Reaction Score
Maybe we sign a grad transfer and then have this kid in the wings if he can play well at this level?

Did he say it's his dream or are we just supposing this?
Only have 1 spot available for next year unless somebody declares for nba or transfers.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
He'd come in as a junior for us in 2017-18 - the same class in terms of eligibility as Jalen, Enoch & Larrier.

Other potential PGs on that roster are Jalen, Alterique, MAL & Waters (tho Waters looks like a long shot).
Potential SGs on the roster are DHam (unlikely), Hamidou (probable), and TBD from class of '17

I'd have zero problem with Ollie signing this kid. He was bad against us, but he went for 32/2/5 against Yale, 19/6/4 against Holy Cross, 26/3/2 against Northwestern, 25/8/2 against Hofstra, 24/2/3 and 39/6/6 against Fairleigh Dickinson. Those are all decent teams.

Good post till your last sentence. I want nothing good for Rutgers, and if that means they can Pikiell after a few years, so be it. He will wind up safely in the AAC at that point.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

No problem with a PG depth option. Lord knows we are a bit light this year.

That said, we've got a ton of dudes coming in. And what looks like (now) not a lot of guys leaving. Can we even fit?

Reaction Score
I dont think its happening with Alterique and Jalen for a couple years I dont think he would want to be coming off the bench in his last couple collegiate years.

Reaction Score
Good post till your last sentence. I want nothing good for Rutgers, and if that means they can Pikiell after a few years, so be it. He will wind up safely in the AAC at that point.
Meh, I've got nothing against Rutgers - they're not BC. They just happened to get lucky in CR, and I don't begrudge them that. Now that Pikiell's there I'll definitely be rooting for them to improve.

No problem with a PG depth option. Lord knows we are a bit light this year.

That said, we've got a ton of dudes coming in. And what looks like (now) not a lot of guys leaving. Can we even fit?
Yeah, we have a scholarship open for next year, so we can take him.

We'd have to sell him on the John Gwynn role, which could end up being a lot of fun. Broome was a very, very high-usage player for Sacred Heart, but not a real chance creator, and won't have the ball in his hands all that much if he ends up here.

Reaction Score
Can't really offer an informed opinion without having seen him play much, but his defensive metrics at Sacred Heart were pretty poor.

Undersized PG's who can't shoot from three aren't typically prized commodities at this level. My feeling is that he's better off transferring to a program where he can be the primary ball-handler/creator - he shot 54% from two, which is absurd at his size, but with Adams and Gilbert in the back court you're probably better off going the 3 and D route in the transfer market. Then again, Adams might not be here his junior year, and even if he is, we could probably use a kid off the bench who can score in a hurry.

Ultimately, I'd be surprised if KO uses a dead scholarship for a kid who projects to be a bench player. As a grad transfer, it would have been more likely, IMO.

Reaction Score
Have to agree I want a 3 and D guy, one that is a knockdown shooter. But I think we need another ball handler via grad transfer route, maybe kill two birds with a point or combo with gear handle who can stroke it. Interesting potential transfer nonetheless!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Have to agree I want a 3 and D guy, one that is a knockdown shooter. But I think we need another ball handler via grad transfer route, maybe kill two birds with a point or combo with gear handle who can stroke it. Interesting potential transfer nonetheless!
Niels Giffey

Reaction Score
He'd probably shoot a better percentage from 3 not having to be the go-to guy, but I agree that his metrics aren't particularly exciting.

As Superjohn said, he dropped 39 against Farleigh Dickenson, and someone posted an 11 minute highlight reel of that performance actually.

Reaction Score
image.png

This family member has tweeted this twice this month. Maybe this means they have UConn on their minds...

Reaction Score
Stefan Jankovic from Hawaii will be an interesting transfer candidate too. Likely will be able to play immediately next year.
Wow he looks like a great potential Miller replacement, although obviously we have no ties to him.

Reaction Score
Stefan Jankovic from Hawaii will be an interesting transfer candidate too. Likely will be able to play immediately next year.

His per minute numbers are off the chart. But, much like Miller, foul trouble appears to be a problem.

Reaction Score
I don't have any doubt that Broome could help us a ton as a scoring spark off the bench. But who knows if he wants to transfer to be a backup, or if KO wants to have him on the books for 3 years.

Reaction Score
I wonder if taking broome hurts u with the MAL Langford guy?

Team has two needs rebounding big and third ball handler/knock down shooter with big being more pressing possibly although I could see either side.

If we have a transfer / early defection and u think it doesn't hurt w MAL, sounds good

Reaction Score
Broome is the quintessential combo-guard, not a true point. Also, a SHU transfer won't scare away a top 50 recruit. If he's expecting to be more than a role player, he won't end up at UConn anyway. I'll see if Oz has heard anything about transfers sometime this week.

If Hawaii wins today and Kansas gets to play them, I would expect Bill Self to be in Jankovic's ear about next year. Bragg and Lucas should be ready to start, but losing Ellis, Traylor and likely Diallo is a blow, and Kansas didn't do much recruiting for 2016. At 6'11, he can play center or a stretch 4. Good fit for Kansas IMO.

Reaction Score
Broome is the quintessential combo-guard, not a true point. Also, a SHU transfer won't scare away a top 50 recruit. If he's expecting to be more than a role player, he won't end up at UConn anyway. I'll see if Oz has heard anything about transfers sometime this week.

If Hawaii wins today and Kansas gets to play them, I would expect Bill Self to be in Jankovic's ear about next year. Bragg and Lucas should be ready to start, but losing Ellis, Traylor and likely Diallo is a blow, and Kansas didn't do much recruiting for 2016. At 6'11, he can play center or a stretch 4. Good fit for Kansas IMO.

Is Diallo really projected to go, I mean he hasn't done anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom